The great melting day!

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
whilst you guys are enjoying the start of spring, i would like to let you know that us brits have been enjoying strong winds and snow storms for most of today and yesterday. i'm seriously considering moving somewhere sunny like the maldives

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It blows too hard over there?
I'm sorry for you.

its not the wind i mind so much, i'm used to a bit of blowing. its the damned snow i cant stand its no fun when it is snowing, its even less fun once its settled, and as for the ice and slush it turns into well where do i start.

yipee we now have blue skys and sunshine, our weather is so b***dy un-predictable.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Thats what I love about us Brits- We have possibly the mildest weather of any nation, and yet we complain about it more than any other. Gotta appreciate the irony :biggrin:

It's been so weird, we have had such a mild winter this year...it doesn't even deserve to be called a winter. I think there was only like a week total where we had temps around -40. We've still got some snow but it's definitely not that cold out.

What kind of harley to you have turbo-1?

turbo
Gold Member
matthyaouw said:
Thats what I love about us Brits- We have possibly the mildest weather of any nation, and yet we complain about it more than any other. Gotta appreciate the irony :biggrin:
Yep! When your ancestors drove out the Puritans, the exiles came here to "New England" expecting something like your nice mild, wet winters, and were totally unprepared. Yesterday, our high temp was about 20F with a howling wind. Not so much wind today, but the temp has just reached 10F.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
10-20f is about the lowest I've ever seen and, that's pretty rare (saying that, I live in a mild lowland area.) The -40s that canada gets would kill an unsuspecting Brit where he stands, or at least freeze him to something until he dies of hypothermia.

turbo
Gold Member
scorpa said:
It's been so weird, we have had such a mild winter this year...it doesn't even deserve to be called a winter. I think there was only like a week total where we had temps around -40. We've still got some snow but it's definitely not that cold out.

What kind of harley to you have turbo-1?
I've got a new Softail - cashed in the Road King because it was just too big and my wife and I don't tour. The Softail and a set of leather bags suits us better.

Yeah, our winter has been really warm too, and most of January and February there was little or no snow on the ground here. If this keeps up, snowmobiles will be selling for a dime on the dollar.

my mum has a softail, its very nice. the road kings are really huge. my parents riding buddy has one, and its so silly that he plays his radio when he rides. it has to be sooooo loud and whenever we stop everyone for a mile can hear. heh.

anyway, today is wicked windy here, and its super cold. 15 mph winds with 20-30 mph gusts. and its about 20F degrees right nowm but the wind makes you feel way colder, its so brutal out. its the wind that really kills you.

turbo-1 said:
I've got a new Softail - cashed in the Road King because it was just too big and my wife and I don't tour. The Softail and a set of leather bags suits us better.

Yeah, our winter has been really warm too, and most of January and February there was little or no snow on the ground here. If this keeps up, snowmobiles will be selling for a dime on the dollar.

Yeah my dad sold our snowmobile a long time ago for that very reason, not enough snow anymore. Softails are beautiful bikes, I still remember the springer softail my dad had, I loved it. He just recently sold his electraglide because it was just so big and the heat nearly killed him on a hot day from the big fairing. Right now he actually has a triumph, it's a cool bike but nothing I'd really want. I love the looks of that new Streetbob.

turbo
Gold Member
scorpa said:
Yeah my dad sold our snowmobile a long time ago for that very reason, not enough snow anymore. Softails are beautiful bikes, I still remember the springer softail my dad had, I loved it. He just recently sold his electraglide because it was just so big and the heat nearly killed him on a hot day from the big fairing. Right now he actually has a triumph, it's a cool bike but nothing I'd really want. I love the looks of that new Streetbob.
Yeah, with the Softail front-end you've got the Wide-glide front end, and a very trim rear end. I should never have sold my '85 Wide-glide - it had an EVO3 cam, A S&S carb that was apart on my kitchen table many times, and some head-work from the best (Brockton-based) customizer in NE. That bike would scream.

turbo-1 said:
Yeah, with the Softail front-end you've got the Wide-glide front end, and a very trim rear end. I should never have sold my '85 Wide-glide - it had an EVO3 cam, A S&S carb that was apart on my kitchen table many times, and some head-work from the best (Brockton-based) customizer in NE.

I love Wideglides! Sounds like yours was a cool bike. I can't wait until I have the money for one of my own.....but unfortunately that will be awhile. Poor me...haha. I do have a summer job prospect at a bike dealership though so that will be awesome if that works out.

Ughh we just got a foot of snow and its still going out there.