The Great Outsider

• Thread starter Iacchus32
  • Start date
Originally posted by wuliheron
Again, for all I know it really isn't a pickle, its just those crazy aliens in orbit messing with my mind. For all I know existence has a very prosaic explanation but, as they say about sausages and hot dogs, sometimes its better not to know whats inside.
What about the accumulative effect called "experience?" Are you trying to say we shouldn't try to make some sense (of purpose) out of that?

Well, its good to know you know you exist, but how do you know you exist? Maybe who you think you are is not really who you are and those aliens in orbit are having fun with you as well. Considering you keep asking yourself questions and not getting answers.....
Hey, we all have to "begin" somewhere now don't we. Wow that's a deep one! ... Where does "the me" begin? Whoaa ...

All kidding aside, I don't think life needs a purpose. I have two wonderful kids and personally don't feel a need for a reason for them to exist. If existence is its own reason, that is no reason at all but a paradox. The pickle is a pickle because it is a pickle.
The same goes for everything being consciousness or energy. It is what it is, whatever That is, and it just doesn't matter to me personally.
And yet don't you feel the "need" to take care of them? Wouldn't that imply a sense of purpose (justification) in that sense?

Originally posted by Iacchus32
What about the accumulative effect called "experience?" Are you trying to say we shouldn't try to make some sense (of purpose) out of that?

It's one thing to know from experience that gravity sucks and to attempt to figure out how it sucks exactly, and another entirely to contemplate the paradox of existence. My experience there tells me I can't even understand the question, much contemplate all the possible answers. One of my favorite bits of religious poetry puts this succinctly:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

You can chuck the word God and replace it with fate, "may I grant myself", or whatever and it still makes perfect sense. In fact, you can re-arrange the words altogether without loosing the sentiment, just the drama and mystery:

Acceptance grant me the serenity
To live with the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.

And yet don't you feel the "need" to take care of them? Wouldn't that imply a sense of purpose (justification) in that sense?

What it implies is that I love them, and my love for them needs no purpose or justification. The pickle is a pickle because it is a pickle, and being a pickle is good enough. I yam what I yam and dat's all dat I yam. Way more than enough.