What is the Most Taboo Violation: Publicly Revealing Incestuous Acts?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation mainly revolved around discussing various taboo violations and determining which one could be considered the greatest. Some of the examples mentioned included going against the mob, random killings, ritualistic torture, human transmutation, and acts of bestiality. It was also noted that societal norms and acceptance play a large role in determining what is considered taboo. Overall, the conversation highlighted the subjective nature of taboo and the varying perceptions and cultural attitudes towards it.
Loren Booda
Of all taboo violations, which is the greatest - making them public?

Physics news on Phys.org
Going against the mob, whatever the subject is.

random killings

At my job on a mental health phoneline, I have talked to several people with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder). They commonly speak of being victims of ritualistic and incessant torture - physical, sexual and emotional - by their parents or guardians from an early age.

If anyone watches Full Metal Alchemist, the anime series... The greatest taboo is Human transmutation! :)

I think raping a dead dog in public which has had all of it's hair and skin removed would be pretty high up there.

That is the SICKEST thing I have ever heard, and I have just had lunch.

wasteofo2 wins! :biggrin:

Loren Booda said:
At my job on a mental health phoneline, I have talked to several people with Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder). They commonly speak of being victims of ritualistic and incessant torture - physical, sexual and emotional - by their parents or guardians from an early age.
I know a woman with this disorder. The acts that have been committed to induce this are certainly at the top of my list of 'greatest taboos'. I can't think of much worse.

wasteofo2 said:
I think raping a dead dog in public which has had all of it's hair and skin removed would be pretty high up there.
that's not taboo, it's just gross. taboo would be having sex with a live dog in private.

1 : a prohibition against touching, saying, or doing something for fear of immediate harm from a supernatural force
2 : a prohibition imposed by social custom or as a protective measure

1 : forbidden to profane use or contact because of what are held to be dangerous supernatural powers
2 a : banned on grounds of morality or taste <the subject is taboo> b : banned as constituting a risk <the area beyond is taboo, still alive with explosives -- Robert Leckie>

Those are from www.webster.com

It seems that no one really uses it in the sense of avoiding it for fear of dark magica anymore, and that it just means something society looks down on as in poor taste.

Killing your own child would be pretty bad. Unless he or she deserved it, for being annoying / not eating the vegetables, etc.

Last edited:
Not burping after eating a meal at a Chinese restaurant.
Picking your teeth at a four star restaurant.
Forgetting to burp and pick your teeth at Mickey D's'

Last edited by a moderator:
Killing your own child is not universally taboo. In any culture, any time or place, the greatest taboo is simply going against what is accepted. The act of going against what is accepted can take nay number of forms, but essentially it al boils down to numbers, being the one who does what the masses do not. And since we know that numbers do not make a thing right or wrong, it's rather silly to base what we consider acceptable or unacceptable on that.

Adam said:
Killing your own child is not universally taboo. In any culture, any time or place, the greatest taboo is simply going against what is accepted. The act of going against what is accepted can take nay number of forms, but essentially it al boils down to numbers, being the one who does what the masses do not. And since we know that numbers do not make a thing right or wrong, it's rather silly to base what we consider acceptable or unacceptable on that.
So I can have sex with my poodle?

Sure, unless something is preventing you.

LOL tribdog, I wouldn't try it with a poodle, dalmations put up more of a fight.

how about masturbation? although i am unsure of how other cultures view it...

Female garmet workers of the late 19th century would dispel boredom by rubbing their hips to orgasm while operating a sewing-machine treadle.

At about the same time, the vibrator was the 5th most commonly sold machine, mostly to women as a relief to "hysteria."

In long-term institutions, subtle masturbation by residents is quietly accepted by the staff.

Loren Booda, that reminds me uncomfortably of something about the navy... o_O

Kerrie said:
how about masturbation?
Sure! Love some.

i think willingly fellating your own father as he orally pleasures your potbelly pig would be at the top of the list

What is "The greatest taboo"?

The greatest taboo is a concept that refers to a topic or subject that is considered highly sensitive, forbidden, or socially unacceptable to discuss or engage with in society.

Why is "The greatest taboo" considered taboo?

"The greatest taboo" is considered taboo because it challenges societal norms, values, and beliefs. It often involves topics related to sex, death, religion, politics, and other controversial issues that make people uncomfortable or defensive.

What are some examples of "The greatest taboo"?

Examples of "The greatest taboo" can vary depending on cultural and societal norms, but some common examples include discussing sexual fetishes, mental health, drug use, or speaking out against religious or political ideologies.

Why is it important to break "The greatest taboo"?

Breaking "The greatest taboo" is important because it allows for open and honest discussions about important and often stigmatized topics. It can lead to a better understanding and acceptance of diverse perspectives and experiences, and ultimately promote social progress and change.

How can we break "The greatest taboo"?

We can break "The greatest taboo" by actively challenging and questioning societal norms and beliefs, encouraging open and respectful dialogue, educating ourselves and others, and promoting empathy and understanding towards different perspectives.