Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The greatest tragedy in human history

1. May 9, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This idea came up in another thread and I thought it might make for an interesting discussion. So, what are your thoughts? I have always believed that the loss of the library at Alexandria may be one of the greatest tragedies of all time. Of course we can't know what we are missing, but there is reason to believe that this was a monumental loss to humanity.

Of course loss of life is hard to compare to loss of information, but who knows how much we had to re-discover; say for example medical information that could have saved the lives of millions through the ages.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2005 #2
    I always have a hard time with these sorts of questions. I think it really depends on the way in which you look at the event's. I agree that the library was a great tragedy but not every one values books and information so highly.

4. May 9, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it depends on whether you mean the short-term or long-term. Lives cut short seems tragic, but in the larger time scale, people have a pretty short shelf-life; everyone who died in a tragedy was destined to die eventually anyway. Information, on the other hand, can last a long time and possibly benefit many generations. So, I'd have to agree that on the assumption we really did lose valuable information, loss of the information is a greater tragedy to humanity on the larger time scale.

5. May 9, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

trying very hard not to mention your last couple of elections...

6. May 9, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

lol gotta love em. *pets the canadaian*, good boy

7. May 9, 2005 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I'd prefer that Evo do that, if you don't mind. :tongue:

8. May 9, 2005 #7
    There's the rub. Had the library not been destroyed physics may have advanced to the nuclear age in 1345 and some castle-dwelling tyrant may have precipitously blown all his competitors to ashes. We can't know if we missed something even worse than what did happen.

9. May 9, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:surprised good point. Vlad the Impaler, or Genghis Khan with a nuke; now there's a thought.

10. May 9, 2005 #9
    sounds like a good scifi movie. bill and ted go back in time and save the library and then ghengis khan nukes the world :rofl:

11. May 9, 2005 #10
    Or the catholic church. Convert or die!!!!

12. May 9, 2005 #11
    And maybe the muslims as well.....

13. May 9, 2005 #12

matthyaouw

Gold Member

How about fall of the Roman Empire? It took hundereds of years to regain some of the skills lost with the Romans.

14. May 9, 2005 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The emergence of Judaism/Christianity&Islam.

15. May 9, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I fully agree with Arildno.

Daniel.

16. May 9, 2005 #15
    Judaism arose amid a culture of human sacrifice and temple prostution. I doubt the world would be better off without the Jewish reform.

17. May 9, 2005 #16

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Or one could say, the emergence of religion, or is that the emergence of organized or institutionalized irrational thought - that being the concept of 'faith' or 'belief' in the absence of evidence or fact.

I would have to say the greatest tragedy is the Holocaust and World War II, and following closely the purges and pogroms of Stalin, the Cultural Revolution, and period of Pol Pot's regime in Cambodia (Kamupchea). The level of inhumanity and evil is profoundly sad. Then one could add the Crusades and the Inquisition.

18. May 9, 2005 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There are some massacres of natives in California&Texas during the 19th century which ought to be mentioned..

19. May 9, 2005 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was going to say the same.

20. May 9, 2005 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The whole European invasion and conquest of the America's, and the genocide and ethnic cleasening of the native peoples. :mad:

And I could add the same for the native peoples in Australia. :mad:

There are aboriginal and indian tribes that no longer exist, not even one person.

21. May 9, 2005 #20
    I would have to say the greatest tragidy is the upcoming North Korean Global Nuclear Attack

Do you all sleep well at night ? MuHAHAHAHA

regards
    marlon

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?