1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The groups O(3), SO(3) and SU(2)

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How can irreducible representations of O(3) and SO(3) be determined from the irreducible representations of SU(2)?

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe there is a two-one homomorphic mapping from SU(2) to SO(3); is that enough for some shared representations? If I had an idea of *why* irreducible reps. can determined for O(3) and SO(3) from SU(2), I might have a better notion of *how* to go about proving it.

Cheers!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mathematically, what is a representation of a group G?

4. Jan 1, 2010 #3
    Typically a matrix, I believe, for which [tex]\Gamma(T_{1}T_{2}) = \Gamma(T_{1})\Gamma(T_{2})[/tex] holds, where [tex]T_{1}, T_{2}[/tex] belong to [tex]G[/tex]

5. Jan 2, 2010 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are 2 isomorphisms you need to use:

[tex] \mbox{SO(3)}\simeq\frac{\mbox{SU(2)}}{\mathbb{Z}_{2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] \mbox{O(3)} = \mbox{SO(3)} \times \{-1_{3\times 3}, 1_{3\times 3} \}[/tex]

There are at least 50 books or so discussing the connection b/w SO(3) and SU(2), however there are many less computing all representations of O(3) starting from the ones of SO(3) deducted from the ones of SU(2).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. Jan 2, 2010 #5

Thank you very much for your answer. I understand the second statement, but what exactly are you doing in the first - simply slicing off the complex aspect by mathematical fiat?

Cheers :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook