Why didn't you just buy a guitar case?

• Thread starter Artman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guitar
In summary, the guitarist's case was too sticky and costly to construct, it was not as strong as a store bought case, the spray adhesive made objects defy gravity, and the inside protective material was made out of styrofoam and foam rubber that desintigrated into balls of foam.
Artman
Even as I type this note, my fingers are sticking to the keys.

"Why?" You might ask.

Because I decided to build a guitar case. :cry:

That should be easy, I thought. It's just a hinged box, I thought. Cover it with some leather-like material and "voi-la" (sp?) you have a guitar case, I thought.

But nooooo. So far it has cost me twice as much as a store bought case, it weighs nearly twice as much as a store bought case, it's not as strong as a store bought case, my guitar barely fits, and IT'S STICKY! The inside is sticky, the outside is sticky, the edges are sticky, where the guitar sits is sticky, everything is sticky EXCEPT the edges of the box-shaped cloth that I set into hold picks and stuff, the glue on that won't stay stuck in place! :mad: :cry: :mad:

I thought, Okay, I need to make the case a few inches bigger than the guitar to have room to pad it out, right? So I proceeded to make it 4 inches larger on all sides. Doesn't sound like much, but It's huge! A small family could live inside if it weren't so blasted sticky. I can't store it anywhere. I'm not even sure it's going to fit in my car. I guess I could just put it on the roof, It's so sticky it's not going to fall off.

"Why is it sticky?" You may ask.

Two words that will strike fear into my heart from this day on any time I hear them. SPRAY ADHESIVE!

I decided that the best way to hold the leather-like material on the outside of my box would be with spray adhesive. Makes sense, right? So, being cold in our area, I was working inside. Spary adhesive has a strong odor and the vapor can explode so I worked in the basement. You know, where the boiler water heater and electrical panel are located. :tongue2: I did take the precaution of turning off the boiler.

So, with my box all assembled and my cloth cut out to fit around the box, I was ready to start spraying. I shook the can, made sure I was pointing it away from me, and pressed the button to spray. The vapor left the nozzle quickly turned 180 degrees in the air and stood my hair on my arms straight up like they were hit with an aresol hair spray. My clothes and every exposed hair on my body was laquered with the stuff.

I finished spraying my box and proceeded to make make an astounding discovery: spray adhesive can defy gravity! It's true. If you spray the adhesive on a surface and hold that surface over something that you DO NOT WANT IT TO STICK TO that object will rise into the air and stick to the sprayed object! Caution though, this only works with objects that you do not want to stick. So after you pry them apart, getting spray adhesive ALL OVER EVERYTHING, and you finally get to press it onto the object you want it to stick to, it has gathered so much dog hair, human hair, dust, dirt, small animals, paper, clothing, body parts, etc., that it has lost its ability to stick to the intended surface, so you have to spray it again. :yuck:

So the next part is the inside protective material. I used styrofoam and foam rubber for edging and wrapped them in a rust colored swede-like material. When you cut styrofoam, it desintigrates into thousands of little balls of foam. You have to realize that styrofoam, on a good day, sticks to everything when you cut it just because of static cling, but add to this that I have used spray adhesive... So, I have all these little static clingy balls of foam racing all around searching out all of the places where spray adhesive may have hit, my shoes, the basement carpet, my pants, my hands, all of the exposed hairs on my body, my poor dog, etc...

Well, two weeks after starting my project, I am almost finished. It's beautiful. Really. With its black leather-like sides, brass fittings (I got two really cool window latches for the top latches), brass handle, it is quite nice looking. The cloth on the inside is a rust colored swede-like material that is really cool and looks great against my black guitar. It is a little heavy and too large, and there are still the occassional clingy little styrofoam balls that make an appearance, but if it fits in my car it will be okay.

Really, if you are considering making one of these, do yourself a favor and go buy one. Making one is just not worth the trouble.

Physics news on Phys.org
:rofl: Thank you Artman for giving me a good laugh, I literally fell off the chair :rofl: . Where did you get the idea to embark on such a colossal task though? Back in secondary school we are taught to make one or two soft toys and an apron and knit a vest, and that's about it.

Polly said:
:rofl: Thank you Artman for giving me a good laugh, I literally fell off the chair :rofl: . Where did you get the idea to embark on such a colossal task though? Back in secondary school we are taught to make one or two soft toys and an apron and knit a vest, and that's about it.
I bought an unusual size of guitar, similar to a Les Paul, but bigger and it didn't have a case. I am somewhat handy, so I thought I would give it a shot. The box went really smoothly. I used poplar for the frame and stapled cardboard on for the sides. It really isn't too bad strength wise, but not as strong as the space age plastic travel cases I could have gotten for half the price. It is nice looking, but I wouldn't do it again.

Pictures? Where are the Pictures?

Absolutely, you must sent pictures! Not of the case mind you, but of you covered in adhesive, styrofoam balls, small furry animals, etc. :rofl:

I don't suppose you had considered a soft case that might have had a little more room for an oddly-sized guitar? I probably shouldn't bother to mention that now, should I?

We used to use spray adhesive for assembling posters for conferences (gluing the printed paper to poster board). One not-so-bright post-doc did NOT listen when I told her to cover everything within about a 12 ft radius with bench paper to protect it from overspray. I think it took about a year before I stopped finding sticky spots on the lab bench. From then onward, she was only allowed to glue her posters together outside! I really hated that stuff.

Phew ! I thought this was going to be about Desperado.

Moonbear said:
Absolutely, you must sent pictures! Not of the case mind you, but of you covered in adhesive, styrofoam balls, small furry animals, etc. :rofl:

I don't suppose you had considered a soft case that might have had a little more room for an oddly-sized guitar? I probably shouldn't bother to mention that now, should I?
Unfortunately I never took any pictures of me covered in glue and foam. I can take some that still show foam pieces stuck on the case around the hinges, etc. (can't seem to get rid of them). I have a soft case that I bought for it, But I thought it would be "fun" to try and make a hard case.

Gokul43201 said:
Phew ! I thought this was going to be about Desperado.
Sorry, I don't understand?

Should the government restrict its use to over 21s? We had a similar problem in the UK with young people trying to sniff glue, but instead ending up with a bad case of the desperados. A 'Safe Sniffing' campaign in schools soon sorted everything out, thank goodness.

Artman said:
Unfortunately I never took any pictures of me covered in glue and foam. I can take some that still show foam pieces stuck on the case around the hinges, etc. (can't seem to get rid of them). I have a soft case that I bought for it, But I thought it would be "fun" to try and make a hard case.

Well, in the interest of science (and my amusement), I think you should replicate those findings and take pictures as evidence this time! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Well, in the interest of science (and my amusement), I think you should replicate those findings and take pictures as evidence this time! :rofl:
I'll give it a shot. Anything for the advancement of science (and, of course, your amusement). :smile:

I'm going to try and attach some pictures. I have not yet recreated the glue foam catastrophe.

Attachments

• foam1.JPG
    foam1.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 421
  • case2.JPG
    case2.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 440
  • caseopen2.JPG
    caseopen2.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 402
This is a photo recreation of the dog following the foam incident

Attachments

• doggyfoam.JPG
    doggyfoam.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 462
Artman, that was hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sorry, but for the sake of accuracy and to corroborate your story, you will be required to re-enact the entire gluefoamium incident, this time taking pictures.

The doggyfoam picture is an acceptable facsimile, no reason the poor animal should have to endure more torment.

That is a VERY NICE looking case! :approve:

Artman said:
This is a photo recreation of the dog following the foam incident

:rofl: Actually other than it being sticky, the case looks pretty nice.

Evo said:
I'm sorry, but for the sake of accuracy and to corroborate your story, you will be required to re-enact the entire gluefoamium incident, this time taking pictures.
But now I have a phobia of spray adhesive. If I just hear someone spraying somthing from a can I break out in a sweat, and I have to fight an urgh to wash my hands in turpentine. If my wife uses hair spray, I dive under a table and scream, "Make it stop!" I carry a bottle of GooGone, just-in-case. It's terrible to have to live with airbournfoamballsticktaphobia.

Evo said:
The doggyfoam picture is an acceptable facsimile, no reason the poor animal should have to endure more torment.
She sends a wag of her tail for your kindness.

1. What is "The Guitar Case From Hell"?

"The Guitar Case From Hell" is a popular urban legend that claims a guitar case possessed by the devil causes misfortune and tragedy for its owners.

2. Is there any evidence to support the existence of this cursed guitar case?

There is no scientific or tangible evidence to support the existence of "The Guitar Case From Hell". It is considered to be a myth or urban legend.

3. What are some of the supposed consequences of owning this cursed guitar case?

According to the legend, owning "The Guitar Case From Hell" can lead to financial ruin, failed relationships, and even death. Some versions of the legend also claim that anyone who touches the case will also be cursed.

4. Are there any real-life instances of this guitar case causing misfortune?

There are no documented or verified cases of "The Guitar Case From Hell" causing misfortune in real life. It remains purely a legend and has not been proven to be true.

5. Where did this urban legend originate?

The origins of "The Guitar Case From Hell" are unknown, but it has been a popular legend among musicians and music lovers for decades. Some believe it may have been inspired by similar cursed object stories or simply created as a cautionary tale.