The Hamiltonian: Solving dH/dt Formally

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamiltonian
In summary, we discussed the relationship between the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian in classical mechanics. If the Lagrangian contains no explicit time dependence, then the Hamiltonian is conserved. However, the Hamiltonian may not be equal to the total energy depending on the choice of generalized coordinates and constraints.
stunner5000pt
This is a question, not a homework problem, as i am currently studying for my test on classical mechanics
suppose [tex] H = \sum_{i} \dot{q_{i}}(p,q,t) p_{i} - L(p,q,t) [/tex]
also i can prove that
[tex] dH = \sum_{i} (\dot{q_{i}}dp_{i} - \dot{p_{i}} dq_{i}) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} dt [/tex]

suppose [tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex] then dH/dt = 0 i.e. H = E

now if i sub into the equation above i get
[tex] dH = \sum_{i} (\dot{q_{i}}dp_{i} - \dot{p_{i}} dq_{i}) [/tex]

how would i transform the above dH into dH/dt formally?

Do i simply integrate by parts to get H and then differentiate wrt t??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, just use that

[tex] dH=\frac{dH}{dt} dt [/tex]

which is an equality between 2 differential 1-forms which is valid iff H=H(t) is the curve it's being evaluated on.

Daniel.

oh alright

what about going from this point
[tex] dH = \sum_{i} (\dot{q_{i}}dp_{i} - \dot{p_{i}} dq_{i}) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} dt [/tex]

to go on and say that
[tex] \frac{dH}{dt} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} [/tex]
what happens to the summed terms??

q dot doesn't depend on p and p dot doesn't depend on q so
what we get is
[tex] \dot{q} p - \dot{p} q [/tex]
is that zero??

do i simply use the idea which you suggested, dexter, on the dp and dq terms? THat was we get dots over all and they cancel out

stunner5000pt said:
oh alright

what about going from this point

to go on and say that
[tex] \frac{dH}{dt} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} [/tex]
what happens to the summed terms??

q dot doesn't depend on p and p dot doesn't depend on q so
what we get is
[tex] \dot{q} p - \dot{p} q [/tex]
is that zero??

You are "dividing" by dt in the whole expression, so you get terms of the form [tex]\dot{q_{i}} \dot{p_{i}} - \dot{p_{i}} \dot{q_{i}}[/tex] in the summation for all i. So what DOES happen to the summed terms?

-Dan

stunner5000pt said:
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial H}{\partial t} = 0 [/tex] then dH/dt = 0 i.e. H = E
Simply because dH/dt = 0 it doesn't mean that H = E. E.g. See "Classical Mechanics 3rd Ed.," Goldstein, Safko and Poole page 334-346.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
Simply because dH/dt = 0 it doesn't mean that H = E. E.g. See "Classical Mechanics 3rd Ed.," Goldstein, Safko and Poole page 334-346.

Pete

let me correct that by saying H is constant with respect to time, but not necessarily the energy. I wil check Goldstein's book tomorrow

since we 'dividing' by dt we get this right
[tex] \frac{dH}{dt} dt = \sum_{i} (\dot{q_{i}}\frac{dp_{i}}{dt} dt - \dot{p_{i}} \frac{dq_{i}}{dt} dt) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} dt [/tex]

and once we integrate we go [tex] \dot{p} \dot{q} - \dot{q} \dot{p} [/tex]
so tahts why the summed terms are zero

Hi stunner,

Indeed, if L contains no explicit time dependence then neither does H, and this means H is conserved since [tex] dH/dt = \partial H/\partial t [/tex] by virtue of the equations of motion. The question of rather H is equal to the energy has little to do with the question of time dependence and depends rather on the structure of the kinetic energy term.

Physics Monkey said:
Hi stunner,

Indeed, if L contains no explicit time dependence then neither does H, and this means H is conserved since [tex] dH/dt = \partial H/\partial t [/tex] by virtue of the equations of motion. The question of rather H is equal to the energy has little to do with the question of time dependence and depends rather on the structure of the kinetic energy term.

isnt hte kinetic energy term for all purpose always p^2/2m?? Perhaps i have not come across situations where it is otherwise. When would it be different?

Very often the kinetic energy is of the form [tex] \frac{1}{2} m v^2 [/tex], but your choice of generalized coordinates can change the formal structure of the Lagrangian. For example, consider a bead constrained to move on a rod that rotates in the plane at some frequency [tex] \omega [/tex]. The kinetic energy is just given by [tex] T = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{r}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 [/tex]. You can solve the constraint immediately by setting [tex] \dot{\theta} = \omega [/tex] and then leave [tex] \theta [/tex] out of your generalized coordinates. The Lagrangian then looks like [tex] L = T = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{r}^2 + \frac{1}{2} m r^2 \omega^2 [/tex]. If you construct the Hamiltonian you will find that it is [tex] H = \frac{p^2_r}{2 m} - \frac{1}{2} m r^2 \omega^2 [/tex] where [tex] p_r = m \dot{r} [/tex] which is clearly not the total kinetic energy. Nevertheless, the Hamiltonian is conserved and the total energy is not. The key here was how you treat your constraints and generalized coordinates. If you had left [tex] \theta [/tex] as a generalized coordinate and used the Lagrange multiplier scheme to deal with the constraint, then your Hamiltonian would be the total energy. However, the Hamiltonian wouldn't be conserved because of the time dependent constraint (an important caveat to the general result I quoted above).

Last edited:

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a physical system. It takes into account both the kinetic and potential energies of the system and is an important concept in classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Hamiltonian related to the time evolution of a system?

The Hamiltonian is related to the time evolution of a system through the Hamiltonian equations of motion, which describe how the position and momentum of a system change over time. The Hamiltonian is the generator of time evolution and is used to solve for the dynamics of a system.

3. What does "solving dH/dt formally" mean?

Solving dH/dt formally refers to using mathematical methods to solve for the time evolution of a system using the Hamiltonian. It involves applying the Hamiltonian equations of motion and other techniques to determine the position and momentum of a system at any given time.

4. How is the Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is used to calculate the energy levels and dynamics of quantum systems. It is represented as an operator that acts on the wave function of a system, and its eigenvalues correspond to the possible energy levels of the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian has many applications in physics, including predicting the motion of celestial bodies, understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, and studying the behavior of complex systems such as fluids and plasmas. It is also used in engineering, economics, and other fields to model and analyze dynamic systems.