Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The happiness poll:

Are we considered happy?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2012.
  1. Yes! we are considered happy!

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. We are considered somewhere in the mid- not happy and not unhappy

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Aug 1, 2012 #1
    Hello, dudes! please, participate in my hapiness poll. the question is: are we (people) considered happy?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I am. I can't speak for anyone else.

4. Aug 1, 2012 #3
  5. Aug 1, 2012 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I couldn't finish watching the clip. That show is right up there with Seinfeld as being one of the stupidest and unfunny wastes of videotape ever produced.

6. Aug 1, 2012 #5
    I think it works great when you need to unload your mind from lots of important stuff :wink:

7. Aug 2, 2012 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Rat poison would be quicker and less painful.

8. Aug 2, 2012 #7

Curious3141

Homework Helper

9. Aug 2, 2012 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Other great ones (sticking to Yank stuff) are: Taxi, WKRP in Cincinnati, anything with Bob Newhart in it, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH before Alan Alda got control of it, anything else with Bob Newhart in it, The Daily Show, The Duck Factory, Herman's Head, Lawrence Welk's show when they're singing about smoking dope, hundreds of episodes of The Tonight Show when Carson was hosting it, did I mention Bob Newhart?...
    :biggrin:

10. Aug 2, 2012 #9
    Hehehehe I don't know, seems like I'm a more mainstream guy in sitcoms. I also like How I Met your Mother. Probably because only these are exported in my country :biggrin: I'll check out the ones you mentioned though.

11. Aug 2, 2012 #10

Danger

Gold Member

What country is that, if you don't mind my asking? I'm a Canuck. If you have access to our stuff, stay away from Ron James and Tom Green; they're about as funny as getting a wart on your genitals (not as bad as Seinfeld, but close). Red Green is pretty good most of the time, and his older show with his gorgeous wife, "Smith and Smith", was even better. (Red Green started as a character on that show.) Corner Gas is hilarious in a Canuck sort of way (Yanks wouldn't get it).
    If you're on the other side of the pond, you absolutely can't go wrong with The Two Ronnies, The Good Life, some of Benny Hill's stuff, and of course Mr. Python. I hate Mr. Bean as a character, but Rowen Atkinson is a comedic genius and thus worth watching. Anything with Hugh Laurie (who Yanks know as Dr. Gregory House) is hilarious. Doesn't matter what... Laurie and Fry, Black Adder, guest spots on other shows...

12. Aug 2, 2012 #11

turbo

Gold Member

I'm relatively happy. Due to a progressive worsening in my physical reactions to fragrance chemicals, I had to give up my weekend jobs playing rock/blues and hosting open-mic jams. It only earned me ~$35/ hour or so, but those jobs were fun. I have been thinking about selling off my old Fender amps and even my custom-built amp made by a dear friend, just so somebody else can appreciate it.

I can't get out in public anymore, but still, I have my wife and my dog, and I have the garden and chores here to keep me busy. Thinking about getting another dog to keep Duke engaged and lively - maybe a NS toller.

13. Aug 2, 2012 #12

Danger

Gold Member

What's that? By the bye, I'm sorry to hear that your condition is worsening. You have to stay strong enough to travel, because I still can't cross the border.

14. Aug 2, 2012 #13
    Hello fellow Canuck. You wouldn't happen to remember the episode when the Possum Lodge ran out of duct-tape, would you?

15. Aug 2, 2012 #14

turbo

Gold Member

I don't know if I can, either.

Edit: Even if the Canuks would let me in, it is not likely that they would overlook the Glock M20 so that we could have fun shooting the 10mm Autos and ripping up targets. Then, the US might not let me back in.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  16. Aug 2, 2012 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I don't remember any specific details. That's the downside of a skit-comedy. Even though there's an underlying theme to every show, the individual bits are hard to keep track of. If I'm remembering it correctly, didn't it turn out after all of the panic that the attic was full of the stuff? It's been a long time since I saw that episode.
    So... where are you at, roughly? I'm near Calgary.

edit: Turbo... don't do that to me, man. We have to go shooting... Or at least pointing out things that we want to shoot...
    And you didn't say what an "NS toller" is. I'm no dog lover, but it surprises me that you've come up with one that I've never even heard of.

17. Aug 2, 2012 #16
    Actually, I asked because I hoped you knew. When I read "Red Green", I remembered that episode but not how it ended. All I remember is that the emergency duct-tape held behind the glass was so old it disintegrated on touch.

Also, I saw you listed Black Adder. That show had two special moments for me: when King Richard is eating at the table and throwing food recklessly all over the place after one bite, after every scene skip a new animal, ending with him taking a large bite out of a horse leg, and when Blackadder effectively steals George's painting but manages to escape scrutiny by yelling out "Gentlemen, the King!".

Did you also list Fawlty Towers? It's worthy of recommendation, I think.

I'm in BC at the moment, central BC near Prince George, but I go off to study at the University of Waterloo out east.

18. Aug 2, 2012 #17

turbo

Gold Member

A NS toller is a small retriever. They can be dispatched to create a little disturbance to get the attention of ducks and geese, and can be called back into the blind. When the birds come in, the hunter rises out of the blind and shoots the flushed birds, and the toller brings them back. This assumes that the hunter is willing to shoot flushed birds and not slaughter "sitting ducks". Still, tollers seem like they can be nice companion dogs.

19. Aug 2, 2012 #18

turbo

Gold Member

I should add that I probably won't pursue some pure-bred dog. If we want to get a companion for Duke, we will likely go right back to the ASPCA shelter and adopt another abandoned pup. Dogs are dogs, and the mutts are generally the best pets.

20. Aug 2, 2012 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Well, to the best of my recollection after all of the going apegarbage was done with, they accidentally opened either the attic or a storage shed and found a couple of thousand rolls.

Unfortunately, I've never actually seen an episode of it. Only a few brief clips. I didn't start getting cable until I moved in with my wife almost 8 years ago. It didn't play on the air here, and now isn't on cable either. And I agree that Fawlty Towers was a hoot. I still can't figure out how that poor bellman resisted knocking Nigel's head off. (My exposure to that was also unfortunately limited, but at least I got to see whole episodes.)
    Waterloo is a good school, despite its location. If you have a stopover in my area, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. Maybe we can snag a brew or two. (Be careful once you get out east; you're moving into Dave's turf.)

Turbo, dare I assume then that this thing you refer to is some variety of spaniel? The only reason that I ask is that I have seen only one other kind of retriever in the size range that you specified. It belonged to my cousin, and I can't remember what it was. It looked exactly like a Dobie, but about the size of a Sheltie.

21. Aug 2, 2012 #20

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook