Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The heavyweight champion?

1. May 4, 2012 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Which animal's (bird or insect) wings produce the highest amount of lift, despite having short wingspan or a fat body (proportional to it's wings' size)??

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

maybe the hummingbird.

4. May 4, 2012 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

May be. But have a look at this. (you may have seen this before). But what kind of an insect is this?(refer this link)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPtGFyR6Hgo

5. May 4, 2012 #4

Borek

Your insect is closely related to this squirrel:

Or, in other words - video you posted has nothing to do with the reality.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. May 4, 2012 #5

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

So there can't be any insect with that much lift.....right?

7. May 4, 2012 #6

Borek

Yes.

8. May 4, 2012 #7

jedishrfu

I have the answer: Dumbo!

9. May 4, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

Having spent some down-time between jobs around the Gulf coast, I was quite impressed with the flying capabilities of the brown pelican. They are pretty massive-looking birds, and as they feed they are scooping up lots of salt water to get to the schools of small fish that they feed on. Impressive, strong fliers.

I expect though that the outliers will be in the realm of insects, though. Each summer, I anticipate the return of the assassin bugs, which can kill and lug off bumblebees that appear to be much more massive than they are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook