Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Higgs Boson analogy

1. Aug 13, 2015 #1
    i was thinking about the Higgs Boson analogy that was put forward to help describe how it works/interacts to produce mass, of a very famous person walking into a party, everyone gathers round impedes progress, high interaction with Higgs field and particles therefore high mass, and then a less famous person walks through the same party fewer people come to talk to him, less impediment to his journey, low interaction with Higgs field and particles therefore low mass. What happens if a street urchin walks into the analogy, everyone at the party immediately shuns him and ignores him trying to pretend hes not there and eventually a waiter will come up to him to 'show him the door' ie the urchin gets rejected by the Higgs field and particles. But on most high status dinner functions there are bouncers on the door to stop such intrusions ie the urchin get repulsed from the Higgs field similar a electrostatic repulsion

All particles interact with the Higgs field and particles varying amounts leading the various mass of everything through the Universe, but surely some particles or matter will be rejected or repulsed by the Higgs field or particles?

if so is it the waiter or the bouncer that does the rejecting? and what is the waiter/bouncer?

and also one final point is there a possible link between this and anti or dark matter, matter that gets rejected by Higgs and has an either an undefined mass or a negative mass

ps im not sure what the prefix of this should be so i just picked the middle one

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

4. Aug 13, 2015 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe you might want to start by reading some of the misconception about the Higgs, especially on "...All particles interact with the Higgs field and particles varying amounts leading the various mass of everything.... " :

http://today.duke.edu/2012/11/higgsmisconceptions

In addition, while that analogy is often used, it is also rather inaccurate. The type of interaction that you described, i.e. something bouncing or interacting like that, is a dissipative interaction, i.e. it loses energy without any external agent. This is not true for the Higgs field.

Zz.

5. Aug 22, 2015 #4
    If not already stated, to answer the first question, photons for example has zero mass meaning it either doesn't interact or get influenced by the Higgs Field. Down below it provides a quick link to a video about the Higgs boson.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook