The higgs boson discovery

Main Question or Discussion Point

What can a theoretical physicist discover something new about the higgs boson . This is for experimentalist but can a theoretical physicist discover anything new about the higgs boson ?
And what peter higgs discovered other than detected it . He is a theoretical
physicist did he wrote a new equation in
the higgs field or what ? And why its called after his name "higgs" i know that 2 people discovered that particle and won the nobel prize in 2013 Peter Higgs and
François Englert so why only Peter ?

Answers and Replies

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
And why its called after his name "higgs" i know that 2 people discovered that particle and won the nobel prize in 2013 Peter Higgs and
François Englert so why only Peter ?
Glen Seaborg did not discover those 10 elements on his own, but he still won the Nobel prize and got an element named after himself :smile: It's the same thing.
And what peter higgs discovered other than detected it .
Detecting it IS discovering it. What's your definition of discovering it?

Glen Seaborg did not discover those 10 elements on his own, but he still won the Nobel prize and got an element named after himself :smile: It's the same thing.

Detecting it IS discovering it. What's your definition of discovering it?
I mean did he discover a new theory or something like that ? Its the LHC this collider who detected this particle what was his work on that what did he created something new ?

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
I mean did he discover a new theory or something like that ?
Okay, Higgs himself did not detect the boson with his own two hands or anything of that sort, but before it was detected with the LHC, the entire idea of a Higgs boson was theory. Peter Higgs is a theoretical physicist and based on calculations, he predicted the existence of the particle. That particle (the Higgs), they thought, would back up decades worth of publications and ideas, which is why everyone believed that his theory was so significant.

Okay, Higgs himself did not detect the boson with his own two hands or anything of that sort, but before it was detected with the LHC, the entire idea of a Higgs boson was theory. Peter Higgs is a theoretical physicist and based on calculations, he predicted the existence of the particle. That particle (the Higgs), they thought, would back up decades worth of publications and ideas, which is why everyone believed that his theory was so significant.
Yeh thats right . But now after detecting it the rest of the work is half theoretical half experimentalist or only one of them . I think the higgs boson need more things to be observed in more experiences but theoretical physicist have to come up with a theory for that right ?

ProfuselyQuarky
Gold Member
I think the higgs boson need more things to be observed in more experiences but theoretical physicist have to come up with a theory for that right ?
Well, everything is technically theory until it's proven. In even the most basic of experiments, the hypothesis is what everyone thinks will happen, but no one knows for sure until the experiment proves it.
But now after detecting it the rest of the work is half theoretical half experimentalist or only one of them .
Why do you want the answer to be one or another? Much of scientific research is a fusion of both experimenting and theorizing. Of course, in certain cases one might be more predominant than another. In regards to the Higgs boson, it requires so much effort to even detect it (which is already clear) that much of the future work will probably be theoretical. Yet, experimenting is still necessary. Experimenting is the only way to back up theory. Experimenting is the only way to prove something as fact. So, the short answer is that we need both. Not one or another.