Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The history of dimensions

1. Dec 24, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was reviewing the history of String Theory, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the history of our interpretation of dimensions. When did we first realize that more than four dimensions may exist, and when did we first land on the head count of 10 or 11 as the correct number? I couldn't find the year that these hypotheses were first suggested.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2003 #2
    The first theory that proposed more than 4 dimensions I think that is Kaluza-Klein theory, discovered by Kaluza in 1919, and published by him in 1921.It has 5 dimensions, 4 of space and one of time. Then Einstein spent 30 years trying to unify electromagnetism and gravity with this theory, without success
    11-dimensional supergravity was discovered in 1978 by Cremmer, Julia and Scherk.
    The first string-related theory using 10 dimensions was Type I Superstring theory, discovered by Schwarz and Green in 1980. They used the Green-Schwarz mechanism to achieve anomaly cancellation

Last edited: Dec 24, 2003
  4. Feb 28, 2004 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?