The history of the home water filter

In summary: Reverse osmosis is a water filtration process used to produce potable water from seawater, brackish water, or other water sources that are unsuitable for human consumption. It works by forcing water through a semipermeable membrane with a high pressure, causing the water inside the membrane to be forced out while the water outside the membrane is kept in.Theoretically, this process could be used to produce potable water from any water source, but it is most commonly used to desalinate water. Desalination is a process that removes salt from water to make it suitable for drinking. In summary, reverse osmosis is a process used to produce pot
qnach
Now home water filter is ubiquitous using almost every family. I am wondering who designed such systems (and become its standard form used today) ? I think after second world war the New York water is pretty dirty hence the development of such filter. But I am not sure whether it is correct or not.

Engineering news on Phys.org
qnach said:
Now home water filter is ubiquitous using almost every family.
That has not been my experience. Is that just your opinion or do you have evidence for it?

I think the use of filters varies much around the world depending on the municipal water system. Some systems do a better job than others.

There are also many kinds of filters, with different purposes. Some filter out particles. Some bad odors. Some bad tastes.

Some people like the mineral taste in their water. Other people don't like it. If you taste relatively pure distilled water, many people don't like it.

So we really can't answer your question unless you give more specifics.

Likes gmax137
qnach said:
Now home water filter is ubiquitous using almost every family. I am wondering who designed such systems (and become its standard form used today) ? I think after second world war the New York water is pretty dirty hence the development of such filter. But I am not sure whether it is correct or not.
Unless you have a specific type of system in mind, making drinking water clean is something humans have been doing for many thousands of years, and likely since the dawn of civilization. It's likely one of the fundamental development enablers right up there in importance to discovering fire and wearing the skins of dead animals.

Likes anorlunda
The Phoenicians used charcoal to purify drinking water on their ships at least as far back as 400 B.C.

Likes russ_watters
The current Wikipedia article on "Ceramic water filter" says
Henry Doulton invented the modern form of ceramic candle sanitary water filter in 1827. In 1835, Queen Victoria commissioned him to produce such a device for her personal use. By 1846, Doulton ceramics was widely recognized as a premier manufacturer of an effective prevention device for treating infective water. In 1887, Doulton was knighted, in part for his work with water filters.

It would interesting to know the history of residential water filters that are attached directly to the pipes in a house.

AH James said:
Would like to have an insight on the latest filters such as RO? How Reverse Osmosis System works and why it considered the waste of water?
Please read this article first. Then you can return with specific questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis

1. How long have home water filters been used?

Home water filters have been used for over 200 years, with the first recorded use dating back to the early 1800s. However, they did not become widely used until the 1970s when concerns about water contamination and pollution grew.

2. Who invented the first home water filter?

The first home water filter was invented by British scientist, Robert Thom in 1827. He created a ceramic filter that was used to purify water in homes and hospitals.

3. How do home water filters work?

Home water filters work by using a combination of physical and chemical processes to remove impurities from water. This can include filtration, absorption, and ion exchange to remove contaminants such as bacteria, chemicals, and heavy metals.

4. What are the benefits of using a home water filter?

Using a home water filter can provide numerous benefits, including improved taste and odor of water, removal of harmful contaminants, and cost savings compared to buying bottled water. It can also be more environmentally friendly by reducing plastic waste.

5. How often should a home water filter be replaced?

The frequency of replacing a home water filter depends on the type of filter and the level of water usage. Generally, it is recommended to replace the filter every 3-6 months or as directed by the manufacturer to ensure its effectiveness in removing impurities from water.