Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; the movie

1. Apr 8, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2005 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I smell another crappy remake of a classic.

4. Apr 8, 2005 #3
    i also hear that british are making "War of the Worlds" with mechanicall tripods machines and all the original stuff ? is that true ?
    i know spielberg finished making hollywood version of "WoW" but i dont care about american movies no more.

5. Apr 8, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunately special effects are now considered a plot. Still, miracles do happen. I believe I believe.... :biggrin:

6. Apr 8, 2005 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I never heard of that until now, and unfortunately I don't have time to check out the site right now. Certainly I'll go see it, but I wonder how good it can be. Most of what I liked about the books was the extremely clever use of language to describe things that are
    shown in a movie. How can a cup of liquid and a funny facial expression fully convey 'almost, but not quite, exactly unlike tea'?

Okay, that's weird. There was just a knock on the door and it turned out to be the RCMP. I figured, what the hell have I done now, but it's because some guy crashed into my yard. I heard it a couple of hours ago, but didn't pay any attention because there's construction going on next door. So now I've got 2 cops and a tracking dog prowling around my place. Life never ceases to be interesting. :rolleyes:

7. Apr 8, 2005 #6
    Danger..i tell you man, live without hockey makes people do some crazy things all over the place,i hope you are okay

8. Apr 8, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Thanks, dude. Everything's cool as far as I know. When Shane (cop) told me that he'd come in the east side of my property, my first thought was "if he hit my Roadrunner you'd better hope you find him before I do". Seems he just took out some bushes, though. He's lucky he's not hurt, because the bushes are narrowly spaced between some fairly sturdy spruce trees.
    I don't know what effect the strike might have had on this particular fellow. It's a terribly un-Canadian thing to say, admittedly, but I don't watch hockey (or any other sport, for that matter).
    Anyhow, I'll have a look in the morning before I go to work. I didn't bother tonight because they asked me to stay inside so's not to disrupt the dog. That was a bit over an hour ago, but I'm too lazy to get dressed and do it now.

9. Apr 8, 2005 #8
    Fracking NHL and fracking NHLPA

I've gone a whole season without a trip to a Kings game. I'm just about violent from the withdrawals.

10. Apr 8, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll definitely be going to see it at the cinema, but I have some strong doubts over whether it's gonna be better than the original TV series. (And I know for a fact that it won't beat the original radio series, or trilogy of four.)

11. Apr 8, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Hmm... this reminds me of something that really needs to be done....

12. Apr 8, 2005 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Amen brother. Games on tape just aren't cutting it.

13. Apr 8, 2005 #12

THought there were five books....

Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
    Second one...forget the name....
    Third one with the secret to flying, forget the name...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    Mostly Harmless.

Da?

14. Apr 8, 2005 #13
    Hiker's guide
    Restaurnat at the end of the universe
    Life, the universe and everything
    So long and thanks for all the fish
    Mostly harmless.

15. Apr 8, 2005 #14
    So i was right.

Its been so long since i've read them, six years just about.

16. Apr 8, 2005 #15

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This one has been in the making for what...20 years now? (not literally...but there have been many false starts, dropped scripts, etc.)

Seems like Douglas Adams was mostly positive about the latest attempt (there's some discussion of it in the book "Salmon of Doubt") but perhaps not 100% sold. I suspect his not being around now does not help things (had he not died, he would have certainly helped the filming on some level).

17. Apr 8, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see how they can capture the strangeness of Adams and still sell a big budget movie. But I'm still hoping for something unusual. It could be fun.

18. Apr 8, 2005 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking the same thing. Seems akin to making a Tom Robbins book into a movie. I was pretty dissapointed by the film version of "Even Cowgirls Get The Blues", but I might have just been biased because that's one of all-time favorite novels. The quirkiness of the story and the writer's style did not translate very well onto the screen. Of course, people who hadn't read Robbins probably liked it just fine.

I think it will probably be the same situation with the hardcore Douglas Adams fans.

19. Apr 8, 2005 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

"In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men,
    women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were
    real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri."

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
    very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

20. Apr 8, 2005 #19
    Matrix 4: The Reloaded Revolution

21. Apr 8, 2005 #20

Ah, Douglas Adams.

And of course, the tea, which was not quite entirely unlike tea.

And Bistro math!!

Ah. I'm gonna have to read the whole serious again now. Damn you all. As if i was not unproductive enough already.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?