Is There a Unique Hodge Star Operator for Any p-Vector in Differential Forms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formula for finding a unique ##*\lambda## in differential forms and the doubts and clarifications surrounding it. The formula is based on linearity and alternating linearity, and the only minor neglect was not taking into account the cyclicity of the order in an example on page 16.
kiuhnm
I'm reading section 2.7 of Flanders' book about differential forms, but I have some doubts.
Let ##\lambda## be a ##p##-vector in ##\bigwedge^p V## and let ##\sigma^1,\ldots,\sigma^n## be a basis of ##V##. There's a unique ##*\lambda## such that, for all ##\mu\in \bigwedge^{n-p}##,$$
\lambda \wedge \mu = (*\lambda, \mu)\sigma,
$$ where ##\sigma = \sigma^1 \wedge \cdots \wedge \sigma^n##.
Flanders says it's enough to consider ##\lambda=\sigma^1\wedge\cdots\wedge\sigma^p## because of linearity, but what about ##\lambda=\sigma^H## where ##h_1<\cdots <h_p##?
In that case I get $$
*\lambda = (-1)^s(\sigma^\bar{H},\sigma^\bar{H})\sigma^\bar{H},
$$ where ##H\sqcup\bar{H}=\{1,\ldots,n\}## and ##s## is the permutation needed to permute ##H\bar{H}=(h_1,\ldots,h_p,\bar{h}_1,\ldots,\bar{h}_{n-p})## into ##(1,\ldots,n)##.
I suspect this is not correct... or is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
kiuhnm said:
I'm reading section 2.7 of Flanders' book about differential forms, but I have some doubts.
Let ##\lambda## be a ##p##-vector in ##\bigwedge^p V## and let ##\sigma^1,\ldots,\sigma^n## be a basis of ##V##. There's a unique ##*\lambda## such that, for all ##\mu\in \bigwedge^{n-p}##,$$
\lambda \wedge \mu = (*\lambda, \mu)\sigma,
$$ where ##\sigma = \sigma^1 \wedge \cdots \wedge \sigma^n##.
Flanders says it's enough to consider ##\lambda=\sigma^1\wedge\cdots\wedge\sigma^p## because of linearity, but what about ##\lambda=\sigma^H## where ##h_1<\cdots <h_p##?
In that case I get $$
*\lambda = (-1)^s(\sigma^\bar{H},\sigma^\bar{H})\sigma^\bar{H},
$$ where ##H\sqcup\bar{H}=\{1,\ldots,n\}## and ##s## is the permutation needed to permute ##H\bar{H}=(h_1,\ldots,h_p,\bar{h}_1,\ldots,\bar{h}_{n-p})## into ##(1,\ldots,n)##.
I suspect this is not correct... or is it?
I don't understand your question. If you have a permutation of ##\sigma_i## you get another ##*\lambda##, with an appropriate sign. So if we have ##*\sigma##, then we get all ##*\lambda## by linear extension and sign corrections. So the only minor neglect was to say by "because of linearity" instead of "because of alternating linearity".

Likes kiuhnm
fresh_42 said:
I don't understand your question. If you have a permutation of ##\sigma_i## you get another ##*\lambda##, with an appropriate sign. So if we have ##*\sigma##, then we get all ##*\lambda## by linear extension and sign corrections. So the only minor neglect was to say by "because of linearity" instead of "because of alternating linearity".

I wasn't sure whether my formula for ##*\lambda## was correct. I had doubts because I got a wrong sign in example 1 on page 16. That example says that if the base of ##V## is ##(dx^1,dx^2,dx^3,dt)## where ##(dx^i,dx^i)=1## and ##(dt,dt)=-1##, then $$
*(dx^i dt) = dx^j dx^k,
$$ where "##(i,j,k)## is cyclic order". I didn't take into account the cyclicity of the order and so got a wrong sign. In particular, $$
*(dx^2 dt) = -(dx^1 dx^3) = dx^3 dx^1.
$$ I missed the very last step.

1. What is the Hodge star operator?

The Hodge star operator is a mathematical operator used in differential geometry and differential forms. It takes a differential form as its input and produces another differential form as its output. It is named after mathematician William Hodge who first introduced it in the 1930s.

2. How does the Hodge star operator work?

The Hodge star operator works by mapping a k-form to an (n-k)-form, where n is the dimension of the underlying manifold. It does this by using the metric tensor to raise or lower indices and then taking the dual of the resulting tensor. This process is used to define the Hodge dual of a differential form.

3. What are the properties of the Hodge star operator?

The Hodge star operator has several important properties, including: linearity, involutivity, and compatibility with the exterior derivative. It is also used to define the inner product of two differential forms and plays a crucial role in the Hodge decomposition theorem.

4. What is the significance of the Hodge star operator?

The Hodge star operator is significant because it allows for the manipulation and simplification of differential forms in differential geometry. It is also used in many areas of physics, such as general relativity and electromagnetism, to express equations in a more compact and elegant form.

5. Can the Hodge star operator be extended to other spaces?

Yes, the Hodge star operator can be extended to other spaces, such as complex manifolds and Riemannian manifolds. In fact, in these spaces, the Hodge star operator is defined slightly differently, but still serves the same purpose of mapping forms to their duals. It can also be extended to more general settings, such as vector bundles and Lie algebras.