Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Holographic Universe

1. Apr 28, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, can anyone explained to me this theory. To my knowledge it talks states that everything can be divided and broken down into the smallest bit of information. A hologram can be divided (a limited number of times?) and still retain it's image. I'm trying to do a paper on it because it's really interesting, I'm just not sure where to start.
    Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2013 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

The basic idea is that a theory living in on an n-dim. manifold M has a dual, fully equivalent representation in terms of a second theory living on the boundary ∂M.

4. Apr 29, 2013 #3

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you clarify whether you are asking about the holographic universe ideas of David Bohm or the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle[/url] [Broken] of 't Hooft and Susskind? As far as I can tell, the theory by Bohm was never published in a peer-reviewed physics journal (and Pribram's work doesn't even appear in peer-reviewed psych or philosophy journals) and is probably against the PF guidelines for discussion. If you insist on studying the theory I would suggest you go in with a healthy amount of skepticism.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook