The Holographic Universe: Dividing Reality into Bits

In summary, the holographic principle states that all information in a three-dimensional space can be represented on a two-dimensional boundary. This theory has been proposed by both David Bohm and 't Hooft and Susskind. While Bohm's theory has not been published in a peer-reviewed physics journal and may not align with PF guidelines, it remains an interesting subject of study. It is important to approach the theory with skepticism.
ebodet18
Hey guys, can anyone explained to me this theory. To my knowledge it talks states that everything can be divided and broken down into the smallest bit of information. A hologram can be divided (a limited number of times?) and still retain it's image. I'm trying to do a paper on it because it's really interesting, I'm just not sure where to start.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The basic idea is that a theory living in on an n-dim. manifold M has a dual, fully equivalent representation in terms of a second theory living on the boundary ∂M.

ebodet18 said:
Hey guys, can anyone explained to me this theory. To my knowledge it talks states that everything can be divided and broken down into the smallest bit of information. A hologram can be divided (a limited number of times?) and still retain it's image. I'm trying to do a paper on it because it's really interesting, I'm just not sure where to start.
Thanks in advance!

Can you clarify whether you are asking about the holographic universe ideas of David Bohm or the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle[/url] of 't Hooft and Susskind? As far as I can tell, the theory by Bohm was never published in a peer-reviewed physics journal (and Pribram's work doesn't even appear in peer-reviewed psych or philosophy journals) and is probably against the PF guidelines for discussion. If you insist on studying the theory I would suggest you go in with a healthy amount of skepticism.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Holographic Universe theory?

The Holographic Universe theory suggests that the entire universe, including all matter and energy, is actually a projection or hologram created by information stored on a two-dimensional surface. In other words, everything we see and experience in our three-dimensional world is just an illusion, and the true reality exists on a flat surface.

2. How does the Holographic Universe theory explain the mysteries of physics?

The Holographic Universe theory proposes that all the fundamental laws of physics, such as gravity and quantum mechanics, can be explained by the information stored on this two-dimensional surface. This theory offers a new perspective on the nature of reality and has the potential to resolve many unanswered questions in physics.

3. What evidence supports the Holographic Universe theory?

Some of the evidence supporting the Holographic Universe theory comes from the study of black holes. According to this theory, the information that falls into a black hole is stored on its two-dimensional event horizon. This aligns with the idea that all information in the universe is stored on a two-dimensional surface.

4. How does the Holographic Universe theory relate to consciousness?

The Holographic Universe theory suggests that consciousness is not just a byproduct of brain activity, but rather a fundamental aspect of the universe. It proposes that our perception of reality is created by our consciousness interpreting the information stored on the two-dimensional surface. This theory has implications for the study of consciousness and the mind-body problem.

5. Can the Holographic Universe theory be proven?

At this point, the Holographic Universe theory is still a hypothesis and has not been proven. However, there are ongoing experiments and research being conducted to test its validity. As technology advances, we may be able to gather more evidence to support or refute this theory in the future.