Human Antenna: Improving Poor FM Reception in Hilly Locations

It is believed that the human body acts as a large capacitor and can enhance the signal reception of antennas. This is due to the fact that the body has a larger surface area and can store more charge than a small antenna. As for improving antenna performance without physically touching it, you can try using a larger antenna or a signal amplifier. Other than these options, installing a larger physical antenna on your roof may be the best solution for improving reception in a hilly location. However, some old radio enthusiasts also suggest using the "touch capacitance" effect by lightly touching the antenna to improve reception. And no, I am not a body-shape type, I am simply a capacitor.
jnorman
i live in a hilly location where i have very difficult radio reception, so i am always futzing around with my little "active" antenna for FM radio (PBS). i notice that reception always improves as i move near the antenna (like within 3-5 feet is noticeable), and gets much better if i just touch the antenna box.

what is it about the human body that would improve the antenna operation? and how can i make the stupid antenna work better without having to stand there touching it? other than installing some monstrous physical antenna on my roof, is there any other way to get decent FM reception in a poor location? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are a large capacitor.

mommy! JD called me a big capacitor! make him take it back!

JDługosz said:
You are a large capacitor.

Could you elaborate on how that improves signal reception?

jnorman said:
what is it about the human body that would improve the antenna operation?

What is your body-shape type? Are you pear, hourglass or parabolic-dish?

That's all I remember. Old radioheads call the effect "touch capacitance".

You are a lot larger than that antenna, right?

1. How does the Human Antenna work?

The Human Antenna, also known as the "arm trick", works by using the human body as a conductor to increase the signal strength of an FM radio. This is achieved by extending one arm out and touching the radio's antenna while also touching a grounded object, such as a metal pole or a wall. This creates a larger surface area for the radio's antenna to pick up signals, resulting in improved reception in hilly locations.

2. Is the Human Antenna a reliable method for improving FM reception?

While the Human Antenna can be effective in improving FM reception in hilly locations, it is not a foolproof method. The success of this technique depends on various factors such as the strength of the FM signal, the quality of the radio's antenna, and the terrain of the location. It may work well in some cases, but not in others.

3. Are there any risks associated with using the Human Antenna?

No, there are no known risks associated with using the Human Antenna. It is simply using your body as a conductor, and there is no danger to your health. However, it is important to be cautious of your surroundings and avoid touching any live or dangerous objects while attempting this technique.

4. Can the Human Antenna be used with any type of FM radio?

Yes, the Human Antenna technique can be used with any FM radio that has an external antenna. It may not work as well with radios that have built-in antennas or those that use digital signals, as these do not require the same type of reception improvement.

5. Are there any other methods for improving FM reception in hilly locations?

Yes, there are other methods for improving FM reception in hilly locations, such as using a larger or more powerful antenna, adjusting the placement of the radio or antenna, or using a signal booster. These methods may be more reliable than the Human Antenna technique and are worth considering if the arm trick does not work well for your specific location.