Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The human eye vs. camera

1. Dec 27, 2003 #1
    i was just wondering, what is the equivelent megapixel rating of the human eye? i would expect the back of the eye to be around the size of a 35mm negative commonly rated at around 10mp, it cant be any bigger than a 120 film negative which is rated somewhere around 50mp.
    is there any research underway for a biological camera which uses the same processes as the human eye? and if so, how is it underway?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2003 #2
    One thing I can tell you is that the human eye is not the same resolution across your visual field. Acuity is much better at the fovea than at the outer areas. It depends on how densly the neurons in the eye are packed. There is only so much room in there for various rods and cones. I'm not sure how the human eye compares to cameras in terms of resolution. I know that human vision an machine vison in general are very different things.

4. Dec 29, 2003 #3

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Dec 29, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Dec 29, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe this site? http://www.wdv.com/Eye/EyeBandwidth/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?