Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Humans and Chimpanzees PP article.

1. Nov 21, 2003 #1
    The "Humans and Chimpanzees" PP article.

I just now noticed that there's no "Physicspost.com Articles" Forum here anymore, so I don't know if there's been any discussion on this article, but I've got a couple of questions:

1) How different is the DNA of a chimp, when compared to another ape - like a gorilla?

2) If we are only 95% identical (genetically) to chimps, does that raise any dispute on whether there was a common ancestor, or on how long ago the divergance from that common ancestor occured?

Any response is appreciated. :smile:

BTW, this was a very good article, and I highly recommend it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2003 #2
  4. Nov 21, 2003 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A quick remark (I can comment more later) researchers at Wayne State University School of Medicine did genomic analysis of genes and came to the conclusion that chimps belong to the genus Homo.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/05/0520_030520_chimpanzees.html

Current naming:
    Chimp - Pan troglodytes
    Human - Homo sapiens

Suggested change:
    Chimp - Homo troglodytes

That was about 6 months ago when the article got published in PNAS, I am not sure how the scientific community has digested the news though..

5. Nov 21, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Nov 21, 2003 #5

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the archived topic about it...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2288&highlight=chimp

I'm still wondering whether "Australopithecus troglodytes" is more appropriate.

7. Nov 22, 2003 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: The "Humans and Chimpanzees" PP article.

I am actually not sure..

Why would that cause a dispute whether there was a common ancestor?? The 95% identity, is probably based on the entire genomic sequences. In the recent article, researchers looked at genes and found that our identity is much higher: the functional important genes show 99.4% identity, while the not so important ones show 98.4% identity.

Here is the abstract of the article:

8. Nov 22, 2003 #7
    Re: Re: The "Humans and Chimpanzees" PP article.

Where might one find such information?

Well, at least on how far back in the lineage the common ancestor was...since the divergance would be greater.

Wow!

9. Nov 22, 2003 #8
    Why's that? Did we also descend from australopithecus (this subject's obviously not my forte )?

10. Nov 22, 2003 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: The "Humans and Chimpanzees" PP article.

Well, go to PubMed, that is where all biotech related articles get indexed into a searchable database:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed

NCBI is the National Center for Biotechnology Information
    NLM is the National Library of Medicine

I don't think the gorilla genome has been sequences, do you'd have to rely on different genomic techniques to compare the identity between the chimp and the gorilla..

11. Nov 22, 2003 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?