Is the Hummer Being Sold to a Chinese Company? The Latest Move by GM

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Buick.GM has an agreement to sell its Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co. of China, said a person briefed on the deal...The Chinese manufacturer will produce the Hummer in Sichuan, with plans to export the vehicles to other countries.The Hummer is a popular vehicle in the United States, but its sales have been in decline in recent years.The Hummer is not a civilian version of a military vehicle. It is based on the Humvee, but the HMMWV is not even manufactured by GM (it is made by a defence contractor, GM just licensed the design).The Hummer is a popular
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Talk about a sign of the times!

DETROIT - General Motors Corp. took a key step toward its downsizing on Tuesday, striking a tentative deal to sell its Hummer brand to a Chinese manufacturer, while also revealing that it has potential buyers for its Saturn and Saab brands.

GM has an agreement to sell its Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co. of China, said a person briefed on the deal...
http://www.maximumedge.com/cgi/news/article.cgi/20090602/D98IMIQ00

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now Hummers will be made from old refrigerators, stoves, and smashed cars. Well, at least it's recycling!

drankin said:
Now Hummers will be made from old refrigerators, stoves, and smashed cars. Well, at least it's recycling!
Of course it recycling. Is there a downside to that?

Ivan Seeking said:
Talk about a sign of the times!

http://www.maximumedge.com/cgi/news/article.cgi/20090602/D98IMIQ00

Likely means that they will be making transports for the Chinese Army.
They probably don't need a market for it in the US to justify it at all.

drankin said:

The followup discussion was that they will likely continue to be produced in the US due to the strong national identity associated with the pig... I mean vehicle.

What do you think is the number one car to buy in China as a status symbol?

A Buick!

jimmysnyder said:
Of course it recycling. Is there a downside to that?

Quality of the steel. For example, most hydraulic fittings you get nowadays are made in China and the pressure ratings had to be reduced because of the inferior quality of the steel used. I would assume that is because of the recycling process they use.

drankin said:
Quality of the steel. For example, most hydraulic fittings you get nowadays are made in China and the pressure ratings had to be reduced because of the inferior quality of the steel used. I would assume that is because of the recycling process they use.

Disclaimer prediction:

这一辆车被用于军事目的的所有类型的地形,但是它应该只适用于道路。

This vehicle was designed for military use on all types of terrain, however it should only be used on paved roads.

:biggrin:

And Land Rover was sold to the Indians. Looks like the next war is going to have to be somewhere with freeways.

mgb_phys said:
And Land Rover was sold to the Indians. Looks like the next war is going to have to be somewhere with freeways.

And plenty of gasoline.

mgb_phys said:
And Land Rover was sold to the Indians.

along with Jaguar in 2008. But it's too early to tell what the next models will be like.

The times they are a changing.

In 05 so many people were opposed to China buying Maytag that China opted out.

edward said:
In 05 so many people were opposed to China buying Maytag that China opted out.
So they didn't gain a lead in strategic laundry technology!

Ironically 'zanussi' is one of the most popular brands in the UK because almost everybody believes they are Japanese. In surveys nobody would buy the same machine when they were told they were Italian.

LowlyPion said:
Likely means that they will be making transports for the Chinese Army.

Possibly, although the Hummer is strictly speaking not really a "civilian version" of a military vehicle. It is true that it is based on the Humvee; but the HMMWV is not even manufactured by GM (it is made by a defence contractor, GM just licensed the design).

I.e the Chinese company is NOT taking over the factories that are manufacturing the Humvee; nor will they have access to any classified technology used in the Humvee.

f95toli said:
Possibly, although the Hummer is strictly speaking not really a "civilian version" of a military vehicle. It is true that it is based on the Humvee; but the HMMWV is not even manufactured by GM (it is made by a defence contractor, GM just licensed the design).
Yes but why spoil a fun story?

nor will they have access to any classified technology used in the Humvee.
But they will gain vital knowledge of how to fit cup-holders, shiny aluminium wheels, and other bling.

mgb_phys said:
But they will gain vital knowledge of how to fit cup-holders, shiny aluminium wheels, and other bling.

And subcontractors will eventually start substituting lead on the US version until the wheels fall apart.

f95toli said:
nor will they have access to any classified technology used in the Humvee.

You mean that there is actually something in a Hummer that's Classified, other than how to use as much gas as possible to go as short a trip as possible?

LowlyPion said:
You mean that there is actually something in a Hummer that's Classified, other than how to use as much gas as possible to go as short a trip as possible?

Not in a Hummer, but possibly in the Humvee:smile:

Here we go. As per the previous reference:

Buick bucks the trend
GM brand is No. 1 car seller in China, thanks to smart marketing

NBC News
updated 10:25 a.m. PT, Mon., May 15, 2006

SHANGHAI - When Lin Hui and his wife went shopping in Shanghai for their first car, they splurged, spending $17,000 on their dream machine.

It was a Buick.

“It’s safe, it’s comfortable, and the look is beautiful,” Lin said...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12801549/

Just what the world needs - 10 or 20 million more Buicks!

LowlyPion said:
I think the military version is a hybrid - so it must be green ;-)

Another casualty

Procter & Gamble Co. plans to pull its storied Max Factor brand from U.S. stores, as it refines its portfolio for the most bang from its brands.

...Max Factor was founded 100 years ago by make-up artist Maximilian Faktorowicz, who made his bones as a make-up artist in Hollywood during the 1920s and ‘30s. He in fact coined the term “makeup.” P&G bought the brand, from Revlon, in 1991..
http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2009/06/01/daily67.html

I was a Crew Cut Wax guy myself

It is clearly that except the Hummer itself there was no one injured.
That is lucky.

Ivan Seeking said:
Another casualty

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2009/06/01/daily67.html

I was a Crew Cut Wax guy myself

Uh oh! My mom's going to be unhappy about that. She still insists on using a Max Factor foundation about 3 shades too dark for her skin tone, and swears it's the only one that doesn't make her skin break out...not that she's dared try another brand since she was a teenager. :rolleyes:

Proton Soup said:
as for the recycling, even the steel from the twin towers was sold as scrap and recycled.
Most modern steel plants need to use at least 20-25% recycled steel, mostly to control the temperature but also to adjust the alloy.
I don't know if there are any places that could make steel from virgin iron - are there any open hearth plants today?

Of course you have to be careful of the process but adding steel to a blast furnace doesn't necessarily give you bad steel.

mgb_phys said:
Most modern steel plants need to use at least 20-25% recycled steel, mostly to control the temperature but also to adjust the alloy.
I don't know if there are any places that could make steel from virgin iron - are there any open hearth plants today?

Of course you have to be careful of the process but adding steel to a blast furnace doesn't necessarily give you bad steel.

dunno. i assume we had it all in birmingham at one point, but even iron pipe it seems is 90% recycled material

http://www.acipco.com/

So what. The consumer Hummers are silly look-alikes without the hallmark ground clearance of the real thing. It belongs in Chinese knock-off heaven where things look perdy on the outside.

Last edited:
Proton Soup said:
dunno. i assume we had it all in birmingham at one point, but even iron pipe it seems is 90% recycled material
That's ironic, Birmingham (in the UK) is where iron working started in the industrial revolution, steel took off in Sheffield (where I'm from) - then I realized you meant Birmingham USA.

You can use as much recycled steel as you want in steel normally it's added to fresh steel in a remelting furnace - this is where you can make cheap crap by adding any old junk. The point was that it's impossible to make furnace steel from pig iron without adding a fair bit of recycled steel.

mgb_phys said:
That's ironic, Birmingham (in the UK) is where iron working started in the industrial revolution, steel took off in Sheffield (where I'm from) - then I realized you meant Birmingham USA.

do you also have a cement plant in Leeds?

http://www.lehighcement.com/AboutLehigh/PlantListing.pdf

Phrak said:
So what. The consumer Hummers are silly look-alikes without the hallmark ground clearance of the real thing. It belongs in knock-off heaven where things look perdy on the outside.

They have their use. It's a quick way for us women to quickly determine which men are definitely jerks with small...um...feet. :uhh: Really, I see someone driving a Hummer and immediately think "a-hole."

What is "a-hole" ? It's a car hit so hard to the bus's back stock

Moonbear said:
They have their use. It's a quick way for us women to quickly determine which men are definitely jerks with small...um...feet. :uhh: Really, I see someone driving a Hummer and immediately think "a-hole."

Ahem. I have feet of clay.

You've haven't seen the TV ad involving Miss Meek, showing up at the Hummer II dealer after encountering aggressive women-of-the-road. Hummers are for slim boned, unaggressive women, looking for Muscle Power, donch-ya know.

1. What is the reason behind GM selling the Hummer to a Chinese company?

The main reason behind GM selling the Hummer to a Chinese company is to reduce costs and focus on their core business. GM has been facing financial difficulties and selling the Hummer will allow them to streamline their operations and invest in more profitable ventures.

2. Will the Hummer still be manufactured in the United States?

It is uncertain at this point whether the Hummer will continue to be manufactured in the United States. The Chinese company that has purchased the brand, Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery, has not yet announced their plans for production.

3. How will this sale affect current Hummer owners and dealerships?

The sale of Hummer to a Chinese company is not expected to have an immediate impact on current Hummer owners and dealerships. However, as the new owners take over, there may be changes in the availability of parts and services for Hummer vehicles.

4. What are the potential benefits of this sale for both GM and the Chinese company?

For GM, the sale of Hummer will provide much-needed financial relief and allow them to focus on their core business. For the Chinese company, acquiring a well-known brand like Hummer can help them expand their global presence and potentially increase their profits.

5. Is there any concern about the Chinese company taking over an American brand like Hummer?

There may be some concern about the Chinese company taking over an American brand like Hummer, as it could potentially lead to job losses in the United States. However, the sale has been approved by the US government and the new owners have promised to keep production and jobs in the US for at least the next few years.

Back