Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Hummer

1. May 16, 2013 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Every time I walk by the electrical transformer at the end of the lane, I hear a low humming noise(≈50Hz) that is continuous. I have observed this in all types of fans. I grab the hub so that it is not able to rotate and switch it on. Then I hear this hum. When the mixer/grinder chokes, it starts to hum in the same way, same frequency. What is the cause of this and does it hum in only AC circuits?
    Thanks for any help in making me understand this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Voltage is switching every cycle of the power grid frequency, which is 50 Hz in Europe, 60 Hz in the US and one of those values in the rest of the world. Transformers generate magnetic fields with that frequency, and magnetic fields can move objects - if there is anything which is not perfectly fixed, it can move a bit in each cycle, with a frequency equivalent to the power grid frequency (or multiples of that). Oscillating objects emit sound.

4. May 17, 2013 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks. I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook