What is the mapping between the hyperriemann sphere and the complex plane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of stereographic projection to construct a homeomorphism between the complex plane and the unit sphere, and its extension to higher dimensions. The concept of the one-point compactification of a space is also introduced, with the question of whether it is topologically equivalent to S4. The possibility of a complex manifold on spheres other than the Riemann sphere is debated, with S6 being the only other known sphere to possibly have an almost complex structure. The relationship between unit pure quaternions and SO(3) is also mentioned.
EinsteinKreuz
As many of you know, using the stereographic projection one can construct a homeomorphism between the the complex plane ℂ1 and the unit sphere S2∈ℝ3. But the stereographic projection can be extended to
the n-sphere/n-dimensional Euclidean space ∀n≥1. Now what I am talking about is the the mapping I: H→ H where H is the space of all Quaternions and I(q) = (1/q) ∀q ∈ H. So this complex manifold is the one-point compactification of H which I will refer to as ◊.
That is, ◊ : H ∪ {∞}. I: 1/(0+0i+0j+0k) ↔ {∞}. So is there an official name for ◊ and has it already been shown that it is topologically equivalent to S4? I assume so but if need be I will give a proof attempt in a followup post.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere#Stereographic_projection

Physics news on Phys.org
While it is true that ##S^4## is the 1 point compactification of ##R^4##, it is not a complex manifold. In fact the tangent bundle does not even have an almost complex structure. I am not sure if any sphere other than the Riemann sphere can be a complex manifold. That said, the Riemann sphere is a natural extension of the complex plane for the study of complex analysis. You might want to research whether quaternionic analysis naturally extends to the 4 sphere. What about octonian analysis?

lavinia said:
While it is true that ##S^4## is the 1 point compactification of ##R^4##, it is not a complex manifold. In fact the tangent bundle does not even have an almost complex structure. I am not sure if any sphere other than the Riemann sphere can be a complex manifold. That said, the Riemann sphere is a natural extension of the complex plane for the study of complex analysis. You might want to research whether quaternionic analysis naturally extends to the 4 sphere. What about octonian analysis?
My bad. It is a manifold but not a complex manifold. Now I don't know about Octonion analysis, however, the unit Octonions do not form a group as they are non-associative whereas the quaternions are a non-commutative group under multiplication and the unit pure Quaternions are isomorphic to SO(3).

EinsteinKreuz said:
My bad. It is a manifold but not a complex manifold. Now I don't know about Octonion analysis, however, the unit Octonions do not form a group as they are non-associative whereas the quaternions are a non-commutative group under multiplication and the unit pure Quaternions are isomorphic to SO(3).

Right.

Maybe this is interesting.

http://projecteuclid.org/download/pdf_1/euclid.bbms/1102715140

Lavinia wrote: "I am not sure if any sphere other than the Riemann sphere can be a complex manifold."

Neither is anyone else! It is known that the only other sphere Sn besides S2 that even has an almost complex structure . . .

(((
i.e., a bundle isomorphism

J: T(Sn) →T(Sn)​

such that

J2 = -I,​

where

I: T(Sn) → T(Sn)
is the identity. In this sense applying J to T(Sn) is "almost" like multiplication by the imaginary unit i applied to the complex plane ℂ.
)))

. . . is S6. (This comes from the fact that S6 is the underlying topological space of the "pure imaginary" unit octonions.)

But it remains unknown whether S6 admits the structure of a complex analytic manifold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EinsteinKreuz wrote ". . . the unit pure Quaternions are isomorphic to SO(3)."

Close, but not quite. The unit-length quaternions form the unit sphere in 4-space, known as S3. This is the unique double covering space of the rotation group SO(3) of 3-space. In fact, the underlying topological space of SO(3) is 3-dimensional (real) projective space, P3, which is obtained by identifying antipodal points of S3.

Last edited:
Likes lavinia

What is the hyperriemann sphere?

The hyperriemann sphere is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of a regular Riemann sphere to higher dimensions. It is a complex manifold with a finite volume and a constant negative curvature.

What is its significance in mathematics?

The hyperriemann sphere has significant applications in fields such as complex geometry, differential geometry, and algebraic geometry. It is also used in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of string theory.

How is it different from a regular Riemann sphere?

The hyperriemann sphere differs from a regular Riemann sphere in that it has a higher dimension and a constant negative curvature. It also has a finite volume, whereas a regular Riemann sphere has an infinite volume.

How is it visualized?

The hyperriemann sphere cannot be visualized in the same way as a regular Riemann sphere, which can be represented as a 2-dimensional surface in 3-dimensional space. Instead, it can be visualized using mathematical models and projections in higher dimensions.

What are some potential real-world applications of the hyperriemann sphere?

The hyperriemann sphere has potential applications in fields such as computer graphics, image processing, and data compression. It can also be used to model and understand complex systems in physics, biology, and economics.