Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The hyperstructure of the brain

1. May 7, 2003 #1
    "The hyperstructure of the brain"

I found this discussion on the Mkaku.org community. It is very...different and I wanted to know what pf members thought about it. Believe me, its a very interesting idea: http://www.mkaku.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=230
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Back in Descartes' day they didn't know much physics, just levers and pulleys on one side and pipes and siphons on the other, so he went along and described thought in the brain in terms of levers and pulleys and pipes and siphons. There are some cool old pictures of his ideas in history of science books.

After Newton they talked about force fields in the brain, after Priestly they talked (and Goethe wrote) about "elective affinities" i.e. valences, later it was electrical signals (well that one panned out) and when telephones came in it was switchboards. Then computers. See a pattern? whatever is the newest, neatest idea in that king of material science, physics, or in mechanistic techmnology, that is what people will be telling you is going on in your brain when you think. Black holes, anyone?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?