Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The I loathe football thread.

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The "I loathe football" thread.

This will be a gathering place for all of us who hate football.
    Post your snide comments, sarcasms or just express your anguish that otherwise intelligent and well-balanced individuals are now totally f***ed up. :smile: :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2
    I'm not against soccer, I like it, but I really dislike watching it on tv. It's just lame, watching people running for the ball entire 90 minutes. The key is to do, not to watch. Anyway, I also enjoy the bettings, don't consider it lame. It's just fun. What are your arguments against either playing or watching soccer?

4. Jun 10, 2006 #3

dav2008

Gold Member

Having an actual argument over the topic is even more pointless than ranting about it.

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I think the players and the games are OK, though not interesting enough for me to devote time to watching them. But all these self proclaimed experts and their speculative predictions -- what's to like? It's at the same level as supermarket tabloids.

6. Jun 10, 2006 #5
    Not true. Most commentators and experts mostly are past players (of a high prestige) and are even coaches for teams.

7. Jun 10, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. Actually, I wouldn't have even wandered into this forum if someone hadn't asked if there was a problem posting new threads here. But, since I see arildno managed to start one, question answered. But, then I feel the same way about all sports. At least some are played in the late Fall and Winter when you can understand a bit more motivation to stay inside and watch TV rather than going outside to do stuff, but this time of year, nobody should be sitting inside glued to a TV for hours on end.

8. Jun 10, 2006 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A famous mountaineer friend of mine said, at the time of Euro 96, "team sports are for people who can't do things for themselves".

9. Jun 10, 2006 #8
    Bit like posting on a forum? The world cup is the biggest sporting event since the olympics. Come on give us some slack :)

10. Jun 10, 2006 #9
    90 mins isn't really hours and isn't really that long (even with consecutive football matches, 2 matches a day is pretty good) and I think it's just plain wrong that I should 'rather go out and do something' during the summer times. I like to watch football at the highest level as shown in the world cup. The feeling of excitment and competition against others is unrivalled compared to playing normal team games with other people you know around you. Although I do partly understand your point in terms of JUST sitting around and doing jack all for the summers, I think it's safe to say that the world cup cannot be included into this.

11. Jun 10, 2006 #10

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Football's great, it's just soccer I can't stand. :wink:

12. Jun 10, 2006 #11

-Job-

Science Advisor

Is this becoming an anti-sports thread?

13. Jun 10, 2006 #12

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some quotes you may like, note that football refers to the terrible game of soccer not the fantastic game of American Football that is almost as good as Rugby League.

My personal favourite;

14. Jun 10, 2006 #13

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Certainly not anti-sport, just anti football (soccer); in fact I don't think soccer should be classed as a sport. It's more of a pass-time really. :tongue2:

15. Jun 10, 2006 #14

-Job-

Science Advisor

Are you trying to annoy me or something? :grumpy:

16. Jun 10, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's supposed to be...or at least anti-football/soccer. I can't help it if people who actually like the sport keep butting in even though they have plenty of other threads to post in here. :rolleyes:

If you like football/soccer, go back to watching your TVs and let us complain in peace. :tongue:

17. Jun 10, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I like that.

18. Jun 10, 2006 #17

-Job-

Science Advisor

Sounds like a real social guy.

19. Jun 10, 2006 #18

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well I know when I'm not wanted... :frown:

20. Jun 10, 2006 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Jun 10, 2006 #20

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?