Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The ideal vice president

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2008 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Obama picks Powell, don't you think the question, "If Obama wins, can we really call it the White House?" (popularized at the Texas state GOP convention) will gain mainstream traction?

4. Jul 1, 2008 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, I don't see Powell as a possibility for Obama.

5. Jul 1, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Popularized? Not by the GOP convention but by the Dallas Morning News. They were for sale by a vendor who was forever banned from any TX GOP convention in the future. I heard that 4 were sold, two of them to reporters.

Dr. Robin Armstrong was re-elected Vice Chairman of the Texas GOP at the same convention that you claim 'popularized' the disgusting pin.

6. Jul 1, 2008 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't say they were popularized by the Texas GOP. I think the pin maker was actually just trying to make a joke, but it was one with the potential to be heavily misused (as it has been, on a number of blogs, at least). I think the GOP enabled the spread of this idea by being careless or even reckless with their organization.

7. Jul 1, 2008 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Enabled? C'mon! I believe that the vendor (Jonathan Alcox who also runs a business called democratmall.com) made something like 12 of them. Democrats enabled the spread of this idea, not the GOP.

8. Jul 1, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As well as one called Republican Market. The websites are neither supported by nor endorsed by the parties. Also, the number of buttons he made is not important. I said before that I didn't think he was being racist, just trying to be funny. But what's happened is that the story has now had many hundreds of thousands of views. And racists are wielding it as some kind of new mantra in blogs and other websites.
    If he sold them during Dem Convention, and they didn't shut him down, the Dems would have been the enablers. As we know now, the Reps didn't shut down his booth during their Convention; they only banned him from future Conventions after the story hit the presses. If they had been more careful, they could have easily avoided the mess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?