The ideal vice president

• News
  • Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Blatantly stolen from slashdot, although with a slight science bias, an algorithm has predicted the ideal VP candidate for both McCain and Obama - unfortunately it's the same guy

http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9104798 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If Obama picks Powell, don't you think the question, "If Obama wins, can we really call it the White House?" (popularized at the Texas state GOP convention) will gain mainstream traction?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If Obama picks Powell, don't you think the question, "If Obama wins, can we really call it the White House?" (popularized at the Texas state GOP convention) will gain mainstream traction?

Yep, I don't see Powell as a possibility for Obama.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Popularized? Not by the GOP convention but by the Dallas Morning News. They were for sale by a vendor who was forever banned from any TX GOP convention in the future. I heard that 4 were sold, two of them to reporters.

The Texas Republican Party is distancing itself from a vendor who sold campaign buttons at last weekend's state convention that asked, "If Obama is president ... will we still call it The White House?"

The state GOP party said Wednesday that it will donate the $1,500 rent it collected from the vendor, Republicanmarket.com, to Midwestern flood victims.

State GOP spokesman Hans Klingler said the party does not vet the merchandise being sold, but officials plan to discuss doing so in the future. The button sales at the convention in Houston were first reported in the Dallas Morning News.

"This vendor need not apply to another Texas GOP state convention," Klingler said. "We will neither tolerate nor profit from bigotry."

Barack Obama, who clinched the Democratic nomination this month, is the first black presidential nominee of a major party.

The state GOP will bar the vendor from booth space at future events and "encourage him to clean up his act," Klingler said.

State GOP officials said they also have alerted the Republican National Convention so that the vendor, Jonathan Alcox, will not be allowed to sell merchandise at the convention in St. Paul, Minn., in September.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2038250/posts" was re-elected Vice Chairman of the Texas GOP at the same convention that you claim 'popularized' the disgusting pin.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Popularized? Not by the GOP convention but by the Dallas Morning News.
I didn't say they were popularized by the Texas GOP. I think the pin maker was actually just trying to make a joke, but it was one with the potential to be heavily misused (as it has been, on a number of blogs, at least). I think the GOP enabled the spread of this idea by being careless or even reckless with their organization.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I think the GOP enabled the spread of this idea by being careless or even reckless with their organization.

Enabled? C'mon! I believe that the vendor (Jonathan Alcox who also runs http://www.democratmall.com/store/cat/21.Buttons" [Broken]) made something like 12 of them. Democrats enabled the spread of this idea, not the GOP.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Enabled? C'mon! I believe that the vendor (Jonathan Alcox who also runs http://www.democratmall.com/store/cat/21.Buttons" [Broken]) made something like 12 of them.
As well as one called Republican Market. The websites are neither supported by nor endorsed by the parties. Also, the number of buttons he made is not important. I said before that I didn't think he was being racist, just trying to be funny. But what's happened is that the story has now had many hundreds of thousands of views. And racists are wielding it as some kind of new mantra in blogs and other websites.
Democrats enabled the spread of this idea, not the GOP.
If he sold them during Dem Convention, and they didn't shut him down, the Dems would have been the enablers. As we know now, the Reps didn't shut down his booth during their Convention; they only banned him from future Conventions after the story hit the presses. If they had been more careful, they could have easily avoided the mess.