The Immortal Gene: Uncovering Biological Immortality

• Writing: Input Wanted
  • Thread starter Clever Penguin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gene
In summary, the conversation discussed a writing prompt about a world where no one has died for over a year and a book being written about it, titled 'The Immortal Gene.' The conversation also touched on the concept of immortality and what methods biologists might use in a universe where everyone is immortal. Additional recommendations for reading were also given.
Clever Penguin
I have started writing a book based on the writing prompt: 'Not a single person in the world has died for over a year. Write a story about it.'

I decided to call mine 'The Immortal Gene.'

The only difference between this universe and 'TIG Universe' is that in 'TIG Universe' everyone who is alive has an active gene that makes them immortal.

The scientists don't know this yet, and are looking for the cause of this immortality. I need an accurate description of what methods biologists would use under these circumstances.

You can see it here: https://tablo.io/brumtown/the-immortal-gene

:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Clever Penguin said:
prompt: 'Not a single person in the world has died for over a year.
Clever Penguin said:
The only difference between this universe and 'TIG Universe' is that in 'TIG Universe' everyone who is alive has an active gene that makes them immortal.
Hi Penguin:

I interpret the prompt differently than you seem to. In the TIG Universe, the prompt would be inappropriate, since no one would have ever died.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Clever Penguin
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Penguin:

I interpret the prompt differently than you seem to. In the TIG Universe, the prompt would be inappropriate, since no one would have ever died.

Regards,
Buzz

I have a solution to that. :smile:

[Spoiler Alert]

This gene was originally inactive, but something caused it to become active in some people. Then some evil guys, who had the active version, killed everyone who didn't. And now everyone is immortal. :smile:

EDIT 1: And that has just spoiled the plot, so I added a 'spoiler alert'.
EDIT 2:
I say they are evil, but in reality they are just disappointed at the amount of time it has taken to send people to other planets. It is just their method that is evil (killing the people without the gene so as to artificially select people who are immortal).

Hi Penguin:

Your "spoilers" are a logical fix to my interpretation. You need to be clear early in your story as to whether the immortality protects against (1) accidents and being murdered, or (2) just prevents aging. I don't have any ideas about the (1) plot possibility, but a gene that stopped aging after adulthood might be based on repairing the shortening of telomeres.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Clever Penguin
Likes Clever Penguin
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Penguin:

Your "spoilers" are a logical fix to my interpretation. You need to be clear early in your story as to whether the immortality protects against (1) accidents and being murdered, or (2) just prevents aging. I don't have any ideas about the (1) plot possibility, but a gene that stopped aging after adulthood might be based on repairing the shortening of telomeres.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Thanks. Originally it was meant to be (1), but it maybe better if it was (2). :smile:

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Penguin:

It occurred to me that you might like to read a novel based on a similar, but not the same, premise.

Regards,
Buzz

Seems interesting. Adding this to my 'BTR (Books To Read) list' :wink:

1. What is "The Immortal Gene" about?

"The Immortal Gene: Uncovering Biological Immortality" is a book that explores the concept of biological immortality, which refers to the ability of certain organisms to live indefinitely without aging or dying. The book delves into the science behind this phenomenon and discusses its potential implications for human longevity.

2. Is biological immortality possible for humans?

While some organisms, such as certain species of jellyfish and turtles, exhibit characteristics of biological immortality, it is not yet possible for humans. However, scientists are actively researching ways to extend human lifespan and delay the aging process.

3. What are some of the proposed mechanisms for biological immortality?

Some proposed mechanisms for biological immortality include the activation of telomerase, which is an enzyme that maintains the length of our DNA strands, and the repair of damaged DNA through increased production of antioxidants. Other theories suggest that living in a symbiotic relationship with certain microorganisms or having a highly efficient immune system may contribute to biological immortality.

4. How does "The Immortal Gene" address ethical concerns related to biological immortality?

The book discusses potential ethical concerns surrounding the pursuit of biological immortality, such as the potential for overpopulation and inequality among those who can afford life-extending treatments. It also explores the moral implications of extending human lifespan and the concept of "playing God" by manipulating the aging process.

5. What impact could biological immortality have on society?

If biological immortality were to become a reality for humans, it would have a significant impact on society. It could potentially lead to a longer, healthier lifespan and a shift in societal norms and values. It may also have economic implications, as individuals could work and contribute to the economy for much longer periods of time.