The induced EMF in an inductor

In summary, the generator has an emf of 50V when it is connected in series with a capacitor, an inductor, and a resistor.
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

A generator consists of 500 turns each of surface area 7/11 m² . It rotates at rate of 50 revolutions per second (f =50 Hz), in a field of magnetic flux density of 5*10^-4 T, its terminals were connected in series with a capacitor (Xc=110Ω), an inductor (Xl=80Ω) and a resistor (R=40Ω).

Ignoring the internal resistance of the generator, the maximum induced emf in the inductor is:
a) 30V. b) 40V. c)50V. d) 60V

Homework Equations

emf= NBAω
emf(eff)= 1/√2 emf(max)
Z= √R²+(Xl-Xc)²

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is it, and the final solution I got is not any of the choices, so please correct me, and tell me where I am wrong.
iGRhD.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This thread has been marked solved, although the answer I got of my work is not any of the choices, and it is MCQ. So, is there any explanation here?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
This thread has been marked solved, although the answer I got of my work is not any of the choices, and it is MCQ. So, is there any explanation here?
Your method looks correct but you have calculated the rms value of induced emf in the inductor.
But the peak value is also not in the options.

I wonder if the question was first formulated to ask for the maximum voltage across the resistor and was subsequently changed to be the inductor in order to make a "new" question, but whoever did it forgot to change the answer choices accordingly?

Likes cnh1995
Asmaa Mohammad said:
This thread has been marked solved
No, the thread has not been marked solved. Perhaps you saw the icon at the top right of the thread:

upload_2017-2-26_10-57-37.png

and concluded that it had been marked solved? That icon is actually a button for you to click on once you've decided that the problem has been solved to your satisfaction.

If the thread was actually marked solved then that button would read "MARK UNSOLVED", and you could retract the solved status by clicking on it. Hope that helps :smile:

Likes cnh1995
cnh1995 said:
Your method looks correct but you have calculated the rms value of induced emf in the inductor.
Do you mean that I shouldn't calculate the rms of the induced emf of the generator? And hence I would get the correct value of the induced emf in the inductor?! Which would be 80V?
gneill said:
I wonder if the question was first formulated to ask for the maximum voltage across the resistor and was subsequently changed to be the inductor in order to make a "new" question, but whoever did it forgot to change the answer choices accordingly?
Gneill, actually that is how the question is found in my textbook.
gneill said:
and concluded that it had been marked solved? That icon is actually a button for you to click on once you've decided that the problem has been solved to your satisfaction.
Oops, how silly I am, I didn't even notice that it was a button, thank you gneill!

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Do you mean that I shouldn't calculate the rms of the induced emf of the generator?
Yes, because you need the peak voltage.
Asmaa Mohammad said:
Which would be 80V?
Yes, I think so.
Asmaa Mohammad said:
Gneill, actually that is how the question is found in my textbook.
Might be a typo.

cnh1995 said:
Might be a typo.
Perhaps.
cnh1995 said:
Yes, because you need the peak voltage.
OK, I will take your advice.

I'd go with 80 also.

1. What is an inductor?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically made of a coil of wire, and the amount of energy it can store is dependent on its inductance, which is measured in henries.

2. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is the voltage produced in an inductor when there is a change in the magnetic field passing through it. This change in magnetic field can be caused by a change in the current flowing through the inductor or by a nearby magnetic field.

3. How is the induced EMF calculated?

The induced EMF in an inductor can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the inductor. This can be represented by the equation E = -N*dΦ/dt, where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the inductor, and Φ is the magnetic flux.

4. What factors affect the induced EMF in an inductor?

The induced EMF in an inductor is affected by the inductance of the inductor, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the coil. It is also affected by the resistance of the wire and the frequency of the changing magnetic field.

5. How is induced EMF used in practical applications?

Induced EMF is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in generators and transformers. In generators, the induced EMF is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, while in transformers it is used to step-up or step-down the voltage in an electrical circuit. It is also used in devices such as motors and sensors.