How Does the Infinite Momentum Frame Relate to Differential Forms in Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation is discussing various equations and their relationships, such as the light cone coordinates x+ and x-, and the equations dx- = dx-/x+ and x+ = x+ dx- which are similar to ds = dQ/T and dE = p dV. The conversation also mentions the equations L = L dt, x = x dE, and D = i dt, and the need for more context and references to fully understand the discussion.
Ddddx
Let x+ and x- be the light cone coordinates x + t and x - t. The coordinate x- = log x+. The equations dx- = dx-/x+ and x+ = x+ dx- are like ds = dQ/T and dE = p dV.

d- = d- dx+

D- = d- + d- dx+

In mechanics we have L = T - V, where L = L dt. This is a complex differential form just like x+ = x+ dx- and d- = d- dx+.

Has anyone seen D- = d- + d- dx+?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should give a bit more context or references to get some replies here. I personally don't really have a clue what you're asking precisely. Why e.g.
your relation between x+ and x- ?

I will post more later. for now, there are two extra equations of the same type as L = L dt

x = x dE

D = i dt

Last edited:
Again, I have no clue what you're referring to. If you want people to respond, you should be clear about what you're asking.

haushofer said:
Again, I have no clue what you're referring to. If you want people to respond, you should be clear about what you're asking.

Seconded. Ddddx, please post provide some context to the question, general equations, and your thinking behind this. In short, explain what you're talking about in more detail please.

This thread is closed. The OP needs to not only explain, but also provide a reference. This seems like personal speculation.

1. What is the infinite momentum frame?

The infinite momentum frame (IMF) is a concept in physics that refers to a particular reference frame in which a particle has an infinite momentum. This frame is defined as the one in which the particle's momentum is parallel to the frame's axis, and its energy is equal to its momentum times the speed of light. In this frame, the particle appears to have an infinite energy and is therefore moving at the speed of light.

2. How is the infinite momentum frame used in particle physics?

The IMF is a useful tool for analyzing high-energy particle collisions. By choosing the IMF as the reference frame, the initial and final momenta of the colliding particles can be easily calculated, simplifying the analysis of the collision. Additionally, the IMF is used in theoretical calculations to aid in understanding the behavior of particles at extremely high energies.

3. Is the infinite momentum frame physically achievable?

No, the IMF is a mathematical concept and cannot be physically achieved. In reality, particles cannot have infinite momenta or energies. The IMF is used as a theoretical tool to simplify calculations and understand particle behavior at high energies.

4. How does the infinite momentum frame relate to the concept of relativistic mass?

The concept of relativistic mass is often used in the context of the IMF. In the IMF, the particle's energy is equal to its momentum times the speed of light, which can be interpreted as the particle's relativistic mass. However, the concept of relativistic mass is not commonly used in modern physics and has been replaced by the concept of relativistic energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using the infinite momentum frame in particle physics?

While the IMF is a useful tool in understanding high-energy particle collisions, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot be used to analyze interactions involving massless particles, such as photons. Additionally, it is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly observed or measured in experiments.