Understanding the Integral of e^x: When is it Equal to xe^x?

In summary: This is because d(ex)/dx is always different from xex-1.And so∫ex dx = ___________ ...(i)This is because ∫ex dx = ∫e^x dx = e^x.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

I thought sometimes the integral of e^x is xe^x. Under what circumstances is the integral of e^x = xe^x? I think it has something to do with u substitution.

Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

I thought sometimes the integral of e^x is xe^x. Under what circumstances is the integral of e^x = xe^x? I think it has something to do with u substitution.

Under NO circumstances is the integral of e^x equal to x e^x. I cannot imagine why you think that would hold.

RGV

what about the derivative?

The derivative of [itex]e^x[/itex] is: [tex]e^x .\frac{d(x)}{dx}[/tex]

The derivative of [itex]xe^x[/itex] is, by the product rule [itex](x)'e^x+ (x)(e^x)'= 1(e^x)+ x(e^x)= xe^x+ e^x= (x+ 1)e^x[/itex]. As Ray Vickson said, the integral of [itex]xe^x[/itex] is NOT equal to itself and neither is the derivative.

The only functions having the property that their derivative is equal to the function itself is a constant times [itex]e^x[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The derivative of [itex]xe^x[/itex] is, by the product rule [itex](x)'e^x+ (x)(e^x)'= 1(e^x)+ x(e^x)= xe^x+ e^x= (x+ 1)e^x[/itex]. As Ray Vickson said, the integral of [itex]xe^x[/itex] is NOT equal to itself and neither is the derivative.

The only functions having the property that their derivative is equal to the function itself is a constant times [itex]e^x[/itex].

I don't think anyone could have explained it better. This should resolve your confusion, robertjford80.

Here's an example

Screenshot2012-05-18at60502PM.png

What's going on here? It clear says that the derivative of

c1e(3/2)x[ = (3/2)c1e(3/2)x

robertjford80 said:
Here's an example

Screenshot2012-05-18at60502PM.png

What's going on here? It clear says that the derivative of

c1e(3/2)x[ = (3/2)c1e(3/2)x
What's going on with the derivative of c1e(3/2)x[ is mainly the chain rule.

so the integral of e^2x is e^2x and the derivative of e^x is e^x but the derivative of e^2x is 2e^2x, is that right?

robertjford80 said:
so the integral of e^2x is e^2x and the derivative of e^x is e^x but the derivative of e^2x is 2e^2x, is that right?

Correct, except for the integral of ##e^{2x}## which is ##\frac{e^{2x}}{2}##

<deleted>

well, why don't you use the chain rule with e^x which would make it xe^x?

{this referred to number nine's deleted post} i saw it before he deleted it.

robertjford80 said:
well, why don't you use the chain rule with e^x which would make it xe^x?

{this referred to number nine's deleted post} i saw it before he deleted it.

The chain rule is to multiply by the derivative, and the derivative of x is 1.

If it helps, d/dx (ex) = 1 * ex

thanks villyer, I hadn't thought about that.

robertjford80 said:

No, the first statement is not right, and is not what you asked originally. The indefinite integral of exp(a*x) for constant a is (1/a)*exp(a*x) + C; the derivative of exp(a*x) is a*exp(a*x). When a = 1 these both give just exp(x). For a = 2 they give (1/2) exp(2x) and 2 exp(2x), respectively.

RGV

robertjford80 said:
thanks villyer, I hadn't thought about that.

sharks said:

That's exactly what i said before.

if you're talking about post 4, then i don't think you provided enough info to convey that

robertjford80 said:
if you're talking about post 4, then i don't think you provided enough info to convey that
sharks said:
It's obvious that [itex]\frac{dx}{dx}=1[/itex] which gives [itex]e^x .1=e^x[/itex]. Unless, you didn't know that, but it's really a basic notion of the principles of differentiation.
You should go over the basic principles, as it should help you to understand ##e^x## and the others more complicated that will follow.

if it was obvious i would not have posted the question

robertjford80 said:
if it was obvious i would not have posted the question

d(ex)/dx = ex

And so

∫ex dx = ___________ ...(i)

Note that integration is just reverse of differentiation.

If you want to verify this , then its simple ! Differentiate the left hand side of equation (i) with respect to x and see if its equal to ex. It will work.

If you want to prove it then analyze it by means of graph of f(x)=ex.

And note if you do this :

d(ex)/d(e) = xex-1

But it can never be xex !

Last edited:

1. What does the integral of e^x represent?

The integral of e^x represents the area under the curve of the function e^x from a given starting point to a given ending point.

2. What is the formula for the integral of e^x?

The formula for the integral of e^x is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

3. When is the integral of e^x equal to xe^x?

The integral of e^x is equal to xe^x when the lower limit is 0 and the upper limit is x.

4. How can I solve for the integral of e^x?

The integral of e^x can be solved by using integration by parts or by using the substitution method.

5. Why is the integral of e^x important in mathematics and science?

The integral of e^x is important in mathematics and science because it is used to solve various problems involving exponential growth and decay, as well as in the calculation of probabilities and areas under curves in statistics and physics.