1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Integral Question

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    (a) Show that [​IMG]

(b) Show that [​IMG] cannot be equal to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

I 'm not quiet sure what the question means by saying "show", What do I have to show? I appreciate your guidance and hints...

My attempt at (a);

If [tex]m \leq f(x) \leq M [/tex] on [a,b] then [​IMG]
    We have
    m = [tex](\sqrt{1 + 8}) = 3[/tex]
    M = [tex](\sqrt{0 + 8}) = 2.8[/tex]

a = 1
    b = 0

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well the good thing was that you had the right approach =] But you must solve M and m exactly! Sqrt 8 is not 2.8, its 2sqrt2! and the factors of (b-a) refer to the same b and a that are on the integral! It should be straight forward right after you sub them in =]

EDIT: Removed work on b), benorin's is much better =]
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. Apr 29, 2008 #3

Homework Helper

"Show" is like "prove" only a lot less formal/rigorous.

Your attempt at (a) is mostly correct, put instead [tex]m=\sqrt{8}=2\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]M=3[/tex]. All that remains is to substitute n,M,a, and b into the inequality you cited.

(b) Think about why the inequality you cited is true... (this should include two rectangles with ares (b-a)m and (b-a)M): if the function being integrated is not a constant, could the integral have either (b-a)m or (b-a)M as its value?

BTW, (b) can be done another way: recall that for a < c < b, [tex]\int_a^b = \int_a^c+\int_c^b[/tex] and use the above inequality twice.
  5. Apr 30, 2008 #4
    Thank you guys,(a) now makes perfect sense!

But I still don't get (b)...

O.K... we use the property of the definite integral that;

[tex]\int_{a}^{b} f(x)dx = \int_{a}^{c} f(x)dx + \int_{c}^{b} f(x)dx ;[/tex]

a = 0
    b = [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
    c = ???

What is c? I don't know but since [tex] a < c < b[/tex], do you think we can use the mean value theorem for integrals? i.e. if [tex]f[/tex] is continuous on [a,b], there exists c in (a,b) such that;

[tex]\frac{1}{b-a} \int_{a}^{b} f(t)dt = f(c)[/tex]

That would be the average value of f on interval [a,b].

[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{\pi}{2} - 0} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} sin(x)^3 dx[/tex]

[tex]0.63 \times [cos(\frac{\pi}{2})^3 - cos(0)][/tex]

[tex]0.63 \times -1.74[/tex]

f(c) = -1.096

So now we substitute all in [tex]\int_a^b = \int_a^c+\int_c^b[/tex] :

[tex]\int_a^b = -1.74[/tex]
    [tex]\int_a^c = -0.72[/tex]
    [tex]\int_c^b = 1.01[/tex]

It doesn't work though.:frown:

Please help me... because I don't know what to do to prove this question. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  6. Apr 30, 2008 #5

Gib Z

Homework Helper

You have the anti derivative wrong! In fact there is no easy anti derivative! There is another method: First, show the integrand is non-negative within the interval of integration. Also note that the sine function can not exceed 1. So all values within this interval must be between 0 and 1. If the value of the integral was pi/2, over an interval length pi/2, what MUST the value of this sine function be at all values over the interval? And is it that value?
  7. May 1, 2008 #6
    couldnt you just evaluate the integrals and wouldnt that show what the answer is equal (or not equal) to?
  8. May 2, 2008 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

That would be a good idea if that integral was easy to evaluate :(
  9. May 8, 2008 #8
    We have [tex]sin \theta \leq \frac{1}{2} for all \theta \in [0, \frac{\pi}{6}][/tex]

And [tex]sin \theta \leq 1[/tex] for all [tex]\theta[/tex] so that [tex]sin (x^3) \leq \frac{1}{2}[/tex] when [tex]x \in [0, \frac{\pi}{4}][/tex]

Thus by that theorem we have:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} sin(x^3) dx = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{4}}\frac{1}{2}dx + \int_{\frac{\pi}{4}}^{\frac{\pi}{2} 1 dx[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{3 \pi}{8} < \frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] yay!!!

How's that?
  10. May 8, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why would you need "[tex]sin \theta \leq \frac{1}{2} for all \theta \in [0, \frac{\pi}{6}][/tex][/quote]?
    It is certainly true that [itex]sin(\theta)\le 1[/itex] for all [itex]\theta[/itex] and
    [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2} 1 dx= \pi/2[/itex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?