1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Integration problem that's still giving me a headache (a week later)

1. Mar 8, 2005 #1
    Last week (or longer) I asked how to integrate the following rotated 360 degrees about the x-axis (and I still can't figure it out):
    y= [(1-(x-3)^2)/9)]^(1/2) + 2

When I applied the boundaries of 0 to 6, I got 23.2 cm^3, but I don't think its the boundaries that are my problem, I think it is the integration. Help! I need this for tomorrow. Thanks!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, it makes no sense to "integrate the following rotated 360 degrees"! You integrate a function but you can't rotate a function- you rotate a geometric object!

My best guess is that you want to find the volume of the figure formed by rotating the graph of y= [1-(x-3)/9]1/2+ 2 around the x axis. Doing that, each cross section is circle of radius y so the each cross section has area πy2 and so the function you want to integrate πy2dx. That should not be hard.

If y= [1- (x-3)2/9]1/2+ 2 then (y-2)2= 1- (x-3)2/9 so (x-3)2/9+ (y-2)2= 1. That's an ellipse with center at (3,2) and semi-axes of length 1 (in the y direction) and 3 (in the x direction). It doesn't cross the x-axis but since you specify y= [1- (x-3)2/9]1/2+ 2, I GUESS you mean to drop straight lines from the largest and smallest x values, 3-3= 0 and 3+3= 6, the values you mention so I guess I am interpreting this correctly. If that's the case then your integral is
    [tex]\pi\int_2^4 y^2 dx= \pi\int_2^4(1-\frac{(x-3)^2}{9}+ 4(1-\frac{(x-3)^2}{9})^{1/2}+ 4)dx[/tex]
    You should be able to integrate all except that middle term, with the 1/2 power, easily.

To integrate [itex]4(1- \frac{(x-3)^2}{9})^{1/2}[/itex], use a trig substitution.
    let [tex]sin(\theta)= \frac{x-3}{3}[/itex]. Then [itex]cos(\theta)d\theta= \frac{1}{3}dx[/itex] so that [itex]3cos(\theta)d\theta= dx [/itex] and [itex](1-\frac{(x-3)^2}{9})^{1/2}= (1- sin^2(\theta))^{1/2}= cos(\theta)[/itex].
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?