Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The internet, Physics Forums, and Dr. Neutrino

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1

OmCheeto

Gold Member

How many people remember the days of the birth of the www?
    I cut my teeth on Dr. Neutrino back in '96.
    It's only been 12 years, but seems like a lifetime.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The WWW was born in 1993 thanks to Tim Berners-Lee. Actually, it goes back to 1990, I didn't realize that, 1993 sticks in my head for some reason, I think that's when I gave a presentation on the internet at work and everyone's eyes were glazed over wondering what the hell I was talking about.

I've had the same personal internet account and e-mail address since 1994.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  4. Feb 25, 2008 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member

But have you ever corresponded with TBL? I told him one day that if he had a penny for every minute I had been on the internet, he'd be a billionaire. He declined my box of chocolates. And I was dead serious.

5. Feb 25, 2008 #4

Evo

Nope, never thanked him personally for what he gave away for the sake of preventing competing web addressing. He is quite a remarkable man in that respect.

6. Feb 25, 2008 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Send him an email. Infamous people are just people. They love attention. Just like me. I love you Evo. :!!)

7. Feb 25, 2008 #6

Evo

:rofl: Is there any money in this for me? :biggrin:

8. Feb 25, 2008 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member

nope. just chocolate.
    I still owe you some for my soup, turned to brick, turned to spaghetti.....

It was good by the way.

Ooops. Thread hijack!

Argh..... Does anyone besides me remember Dr. Neutrino?

9. Feb 25, 2008 #8

Evo

I just Googled Dr Neutrino. I am impressed OmCheeto.

I still want money. Just place tens and twenties in the chocolate box. Lots of tens and twenties. :approve:

10. Feb 25, 2008 #9

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I offered a lot of money (10 quid) to a university of Bristol professor that said Dr. Neutrino swam with the fishes. Dr. Neutrino ruled!

Ok. how many 10's and 20's?

OCD..... I must know the exact amount.

11. Feb 25, 2008 #10

sas3

Gold Member

1993 wow has it been that long? I have also had the same e-mail account since the beginning.
    I remember running a BBS on a “Tandy COCO 80” and a 300 baud modem in Madison Wisconsin and often getting help from Bob Mahoney (sic) from EXECPC BBS.
    I and a friend would transmit data over the CB radio. That was probably one of the first wireless PC’s. Dam, I should have patented the idea.

12. Feb 25, 2008 #11
    Yeah yeah, the public internet that is. The basis for it has been around since, I think, about the 60s, but was government only.

13. Feb 25, 2008 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member

All right. You kids have found me out. Yes. I have 4 different models of coco's under my desk. If only my brother Nicola had taught me how to use a radio......

14. Feb 25, 2008 #13
    I wanna pick up a CB somewhere, just to screw with.

15. Feb 25, 2008 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I never had one. But I suppose it's just like you-tube. yada-yada-yada. Look at me! I can talk! And be annoying!

I want a short wave, so I can annoy people around the world.

umm..... wait a minute.

Sho macha tori! Nimi du nam!
    Kaku si?!
    Ohio!
    Wie geht es dir?!

I guess the world is out there, if you know how to say hello.

Thanks once again, TBL.

16. Feb 26, 2008 #15

Astronuc

Arpanet it was/is.

I used to go back and forth on some network (possibly Arpanet) between a mainframe at my university and one at NASA during the 80's. But it was relatively crude compared to WWW now. I had to type in the equivalent of a url each time, and we didn't have browsers.

The first time I used the internet was around 1995 when I got a decent PC (P5-133, Win95).

17. Feb 26, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't remember exactly which year, but 93 might stick in your mind because somewhere around there is when Netscape was marketed to the general public, and we all started to get access to websites with pretty pictures instead of just using the internet for text only communication (good old Pine email).

18. Feb 26, 2008 #17
    I just Googled "Dr. Neutrino" and the second entry on the results page was this thread.

19. Feb 26, 2008 #18

Astronuc

I remember when 300 baud modems were the hot thing, and 2 MB HD's were amazing. Off course that was in the day of 8086/8088 processors and 8087 math coprocessors, and the MC68000. I remember MS-DOS 1.0. :rolleyes:

Well I also remember slide rules and punchcards, and waiting 24 to 48 hrs for job (very low priority), so as to save money.

When I was an undergrad, the physics department was looking high and low for anyone who could program a microprocessor, i.e. write a basic OS for computation and I/O. IIRC, basically one would have received the equivalent of a 4-yr scholarship.

20. Feb 26, 2008 #19

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before Netscape, there was... Mosaic ! It was, as far as I know, the first useful web browser around. I used the internet beginning of the 90ies, just before mosaic came out (when I was doing my PhD), simply using telnet to log in to a remote UNIX cluster (silicon graphics) from my local DEC station, at a pace of, I estimate, 0.5 baud or something. You typed a command (or two or three in a row), and some 10 seconds later, you saw the echo of your typing appear on the screen :bugeye: We all cursed the internet at that time, because before, we had dedicated tty telephone links, but the internet was going to be cheaper (and way way way slower !). And a year later, someone showed me mosaic. We all found it a ridiculous waste to send PICTURES over such slow links! But then, those things quickly quickly improved.

21. Feb 26, 2008 #20

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I noticed that about a month ago. After posting something to the forum, I would do a google conventional wisdom spell check, and find that after only 5 minutes my post was at the top of their list. I think there was a bot information collection war going on between yahoo and google. Apparently it is still going on. At first I thought it was kind of creepy. Like they were watching me.

Anyways, I have a copy of one of the threads from the Neutrino web site. A much simpler forum with no buttons, smiley faces, or instant messaging: Question 2805

The question still looks familiar though. Someone should count up all the times it's been asked at this forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?