The inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding an analytical inverse function for y=x*e^(-1/x^2). It is mentioned that the function can be expanded into an infinite series and series reversion can be used to find the inverse. However, it is noted that due to an essential singularity at x=0, the function cannot be reverted in that particular neighborhood. It is suggested that the Lambert W function may have a solution for the inverse. The conversation also touches upon other interesting equations involving the function and its inverse.
phonic
Dear All,

Is it possible to have an analytical inverse function of
[tex]
y=x e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}.
[/tex]

Since y is monotonously increasing, its inverse function exists. But is it possible to get a close form? Thanks a lot!

Phonic

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you found a case for the ProductLog function, which is a common special function defined as the principal solution for y in [tex] x= y e^y [/tex].

In other words there is no answer in terms of elementary functions.

benorin said:
Well, you can expand the function into an infinite series and then use series reversion.
Just a comment added to this:
You have an essential singularity at x=0, so since you haven't got any power series representation of the function at that point, you'll certainly not be able to revert that series in that particular neighbourhood.

However, it should be perfectly possible to use series reversion about any point in the function's domain where it is analytic.

I am myself looking for a similar answer.
I came to this question while looking for the Fourier transform of causal impulse
responses. In what context did you come to yours?

I may have an answer for you: the Lambert W funtion may have the solution
you are looking for...

By some manipulation without care of domain or codomain we get [tex]y = \sqrt{\frac{2}{W(2x^{-2})}}[/tex]. I believe it is a proper inverse for x > 0.

Last edited:
lamarche said:
I am myself looking for a similar answer.
I came to this question while looking for the Fourier transform of causal impulse
responses. In what context did you come to yours?

I may have an answer for you: the Lambert W funtion may have the solution
you are looking for...
Since OP haven't logged in since december 2007, I'm not sure he is going to appreciate your answer. :smile:

I find these so interesting as well as beautiful but no one else seems to and I don't know why:

[tex]y^2=x^2e^{-2/x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{y^2}=\frac{1}{x^2}e^{2/x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{y^2}=\frac{2}{x^2} e^{2/x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{2}{x^2}=W\left(2/y^2\right)[/tex]

[tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{2}{W(2/y^2)}}[/tex]

where the root symbol implies it's multi-valued version. That last expression is doubly-infinitely valued for all (finite and complex) y except 0 and represents a beautifully intricate geometric object in the complex plane. You guys wouldn't get off so easy if this was my class. :)

And also, he asked for an "analytical" inverse and I think I could argue the expression for x above is perfectly analytical except y=0 and when W(2/y^2)=0.

Last edited:

1. What is the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2)?

The inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2) is x exp(-1/x^2) itself.

2. How do you find the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2)?

To find the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2), you can use the method of inverse function notation, where you switch the x and y variables and solve for y. In this case, the inverse function would be y = x exp(-1/x^2).

3. What is the domain and range of the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2)?

The domain of the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2) is all real numbers except 0, as the original function is undefined at x = 0. The range of the inverse function is also all real numbers except 0.

4. Is the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2) a one-to-one function?

Yes, the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2) is a one-to-one function, meaning that each input (x-value) has a unique output (y-value) and vice versa.

5. How can the inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2) be used in real-world applications?

The inverse function of x exp(-1/x^2) has many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can be used to model processes that have an inverse relationship, such as the expansion and contraction of gases, diffusion of particles, and heat transfer.