The Iron Dragon and a day of time travel.

In summary, Tsunami and Ivan visit my parents in McCloud, California for a very unusual weekend that begins with the arrival of a steam engine. The day begins with the wail of a steam whistle and ends with the train departing. The engine is a testament to bad technology from the early 1900s, but it is still exciting to ride. Most people had a grin on their face all day and felt like they were in 1914. The day also felt like a time for Ivan. Unfortunately, the train is an environmental disaster on wheels. Despite this, Ivan had a good time and would definitely want to go on the dinner train.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"The Iron Dragon" and a day of time travel.

Last weekend Tsunami and I met my parents for a very unusual weekend that begins in the hidden mountain town of McCloud; right next to the majestic, silently sleeping, snow covered volcano called Mount Shasta, in Northern California. The day begins at 8:00 AM with the wail of a steam whistle as the thumping and roaring, fire breathing, ninety year old – produced 1914 - Number 18 Steam Engine pulls into town. Beyond a doubt, everyone in town is now wide awake! “All aboarrrrd” shouts the conductor as the fifty or so passengers climb aboard the two passenger cars, and one open-air, two lever viewing car attached to the vintage steamer. Then we begin a ten and a half hour, fifteen mile per hour tour of scenic beauty – snow capped mountains, grass and flower covered valleys, and the streams and lakes that surround this historic gold-rush and timber community, 60 miles into the back country - all the while trailing what is beyond a doubt one of the most dramatic, exciting pieces of equipment ever produced.

I have never been a “train guy”, but now I understand why the arrival of the steam engine in turn-of-the-century, rural America, was a big event: Even by today’s standards steam engines are flat-out exciting! When the engineer throttles up, the engine’s 1500 HP thumps can be heard echoing throughout the valleys for miles. When the whistle blows one’s bones nearly rattle, and when the engineer vents a full head of steam [out the sides], the thirty foot fir and pine trees that line the rails bend and sway violently over as if hit by a passing storm. A direct hit would surely knock a person right off their feet and down the road a way.

I kept noticing that most people had a grin plastered on their face all day…including me. Also, at times it felt like a day spent in 1914. The sense of "a time" was very pronounced for me.

Unfortunately, this snorting and roaring, squealing and clacking, thumping and chugging, fire breathing, smoke belching, steam spewing, oily iron monster is surely an environmental disaster on wheels, but since it only runs two days a year I decided to splurge and have a good time. :redface:

We steamed about 14,000 gallons of water during the trip - with three or four water stops. We had to stop once so that they could grease the engine bearings. We were burning diesel and oil - a modern approximation of the nearly tar mixture once used: Bunker C. This thing qualitifes as the defintion of bad technology. What a difference 100 years can make.

The same company that does this – The McCloud Railroad - also runs a tremendously popular dinner train [standard engines] - a three hour ride filled with the finest dining and a dramatic Shasta Mountain sunset. They have done this for nine years: The first year they had 1400 passengers, the next year, 2500, the next, 18000!

Very, very cool!

Here is a picture taken by Tsu at one of our stops with a “high speed pass” made for the cameras.

http://imageuploader.milbrathnet.net/uploads/Steamer[/URL] [Broken] Train 004.jpg[/PLAIN] [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
cool, sounds like a fun time. I have been on a steam train before. It was going through the Yorkshire countryside. Doesnt sound as impressive as your trip though :frown:

Wow, sounds wonderful Ivan. Someday, I'm going to do the dinner train. :approve:

It truly is a trip well worth taking. Similar and much more dramatic excursions are available all over the world. Here is the company that I used. I think they are basically just brokers, and the lady that I worked with knew almost nothing, but the trip went off without a hitch. [edit: without a hitch :rofl:]

http://www.trainsunltdtours.com/products.htm#2004 [Broken]

Here is a link for the dinner train.

http://www.shastasunset.com/index.shtml

"without a hitch" :rolleyes:

Thanks for the links!

Here's another one in the Portland, OR area that sounds wonderful! Check out the menus on the dinner and brunch trains. :biggrin: They have a Murder Mystery Train that sounds like a blast, and a very interesting-sounding historical guide train.
http://www.mthoodrr.com/default.html [Broken]
Ivan! For my birthday? :smile:

Yummm, and on a train from the 40's when the train was "the" way to go. :approve:

I saw a three day train tour across some really scenic areas and with fine dining on the travel channel. I would love that. I remember going to New Orleans by train when I was very young and sleeping in one of the private rooms they had on trains back then.

When I grow up I want to be a steam train.

Huh? You can be the Trans-Siberia train. :)

1. What is "The Iron Dragon and a day of time travel" about?

"The Iron Dragon and a day of time travel" is a science fiction story that follows the journey of a group of scientists who use a powerful machine to travel through time and explore different eras in history.

2. Is time travel possible according to this story?

In the context of this story, time travel is made possible through the use of advanced technology. However, in real life, the concept of time travel is still a subject of debate and has not been proven to be possible.

3. How does the iron dragon play a role in the story?

The iron dragon is the name given to the time machine used by the scientists. It is a large, metallic structure that resembles a dragon and is powered by advanced technology to enable time travel.

4. What challenges do the characters face during their time travel?

The characters face various challenges during their time travel, including encountering dangerous creatures, navigating unfamiliar environments, and dealing with the consequences of changing the course of history.

5. Does this story have any scientific accuracy?

While the concept of time travel is not scientifically proven, the story incorporates real scientific principles and theories to make the concept more believable. However, since it is a work of fiction, some elements may not be entirely scientifically accurate.