The Iron Lady Movie Trailer

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iron
In summary, Norman Tebbit, who served in Thatcher's Cabinet, disagrees with Meryl Streep's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher as half-hysterical, over-emotional, and over-acting in the upcoming biographical movie. He is joined by colleague Tim Bell in stating that the trailer and previews do not accurately depict Thatcher's character. They also compare this to the portrayal of J. Edgar Hoover in the movie of the same name, expressing concern about the accuracy of biographical films.
DoggerDan
"However, [Thatcher] was never, in my experience, the half-hysterical, over-emotional, over-acting woman portrayed by Meryl Streep." - Norman Tebbit, who served in Thatcher's Cabinet.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-p...gues-haven-t-seen-meryl-streep-170809564.html

Yes, only the trailer is out. Having seen the http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810196208/trailer" on Yahoo! Movies, and comparing that against the loads of printed and video-taped news and programs I read and watched throughout the 1980s, I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Tebbit, along with Tim Bell, who stated, "I can't be bothered to sensationalise this rubbish."

Streep's whimsical smirk after her "the pearls are non-negotiable" line is already out of character.

Frankly, this brings to mind Saturday Night Live's many portrayals of her as a dingbat, which she most certainly was/is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that's the trouble with biographical movies, ennit?

I have the opposite reaction to the trailers for J.Edgar. It looks like they might be portraying him as more sympathetic than he ever actually was. Won't be able to tell till I actually see the movie, though.

1. What is "The Iron Lady" about?

"The Iron Lady" is a biographical drama film that tells the story of Margaret Thatcher, the first female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and her rise to power.

2. Who plays Margaret Thatcher in the movie?

Meryl Streep portrays Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady".

3. When was the movie released?

The movie was released on December 30, 2011 in the United Kingdom and on January 13, 2012 in the United States.

4. Is the movie historically accurate?

While the movie is based on true events, it takes some creative liberties and is not entirely historically accurate.

5. What awards did "The Iron Lady" win?

The movie was nominated for and won several awards, including three Academy Awards for Best Actress (Meryl Streep), Best Makeup, and Best Costume Design.

Back