Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights The Isaac Newton Quiz - Comments

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2
    What scores are we getting?

4. Jul 29, 2015 #3
    Too Hard for me. ; _ ;''

5. Jul 29, 2015 #4
    I totally bombed this one. I got 8/12 on the Feynman quiz, 10/12 on the Einstein quiz, and a 4/10 on this one. Huh, looks like I need to start reading more about Newton.

6. Jul 29, 2015 #5
    4/12* Sorry.

7. Jul 29, 2015 #6
    could do better

hmm I read a biography last year...!

He had a very deep mean nasty streak.

8. Jul 29, 2015 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. Jul 29, 2015 #8
    Thanks!

10. Jul 29, 2015 #9
    Unbeatable me! :biggrin:

Attached Files:

11. Jul 29, 2015 #10
    8/12 That was a tough one.

12. Jul 29, 2015 #11

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I obviously know few details about Newton. Did well on all the others (Einstein, Feynman, LHC) but only 4/12 on this and most were guesses, mostly wrong. Of course, there is a giveaway answer in there ... (but that one I knew anyway).

13. Jul 29, 2015 #12
    "Of course, there is a giveaway answer in there"

there is two actually , if you read the Roman Numerals correctly, you know the answer to that question and an earlier one.

14. Jul 29, 2015 #13

Hepth

Gold Member

5/12 guess most, and 10 gives away 2!

15. Jul 29, 2015 #14

aleazk

Gold Member

8/12, no guesses. My awesome Newton knowledge comes from...

...reading the wikipedia article some weeks ago when I was looking for some specific detail about his life. :woot:

16. Jul 29, 2015 #15
    7/12
    Can't say I've ever studied the man's life very much... his work, yes, somewhat.

17. Jul 29, 2015 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8/12, I am competent.

@ Greg: Given my name : WWGD: What Would Gauss do? , please give me plenty of time to prepare for any quiz you may prepare on Gauss. I guess my 8/12 score prevents me from using WWND as a name.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  18. Jul 29, 2015 #17
    Maybe you'd like to write it? :)

19. Jul 29, 2015 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, it may take me some time, though, I know relatively little about him (blushing of embarrassment). And I know nothing of the technical aspects of uploading and administering the quiz.

20. Jul 30, 2015 #19
    Great quiz. I managed an 8/12. Nice mix of scientific and more historical questions.

21. Jul 30, 2015 #20

DennisN

Gold Member
    2017 Award

4/12. Failed :).

22. Jul 31, 2015 #21
    9 for me with a couple of guesses

23. Jul 31, 2015 #22

Lisa!

Gold Member

5/12 ! Just passed:oops:

24. Jul 31, 2015 #23

Imager

Gold Member

Seven for me.

25. Jul 31, 2015 #24

Gaz

I got 5 would have been four if the Roman numerals question wasn't a dead give away for another answer =)

26. Aug 1, 2015 #25

OldEngr63

Gold Member

There is a bit of a problem with Question 8. It reads ---
    8. Although born an Angelican Christian, what sect did he start following in his 30s?
    Methodist
    Lutheran
    Arianism
    Calvinist
    The three "wrong answers," (Methodist, Lutheran, and Calvinist) are all organized, recognized branches of Christianity. There is no organized religion called Arianism.

The first ecumenical council of the Christian Church was called by Constantine in 325 AD to settle the issue of the relation between Jesus Christ and God the Father. One churchman, Arius, took the position that Christ was the creation of the Father and thus had a beginning. Another churchman, Athanasius, took the position that Christ and the Father were essentially one, both existing together from before the beginning of time. The final product of the council was the doctrine of the Trinity, the idea that God exists in three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, all equal and all from co-existant before eternity. This was expressed in the Nicene Creed and also in the Athanasian Creed.

The council condemned the position of Arias, now known as the Arian Heresy, which denies the doctrine of the Trinity. Newton, after much study, was unable to accept the doctrine of the Trinity, so by default, he accepted the Arian Heresy. He did not walk down the street and join an Arian Church, there was no such and never has been. Through the ages there have been individual Arians, but never any organized branch of the church called Arianism.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted