Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The island is big and wooded in parts, How do they survive?

1. Jul 9, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

A group of ten to twenty people are ship wrecked on a desert island, they
    have basic hand tools and food and water that will last for two days, no
    one knows they survived the ship wreck, so no chance of rescue.
    The island is big and wooded in parts, How do they survive?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2005 #2
    Last man standing dines well?

4. Jul 9, 2005 #3
    First build shelter.
    find a source of fresh water, if you can't find water, make water traps, collected from organic matters{Watch Voyage of the MIMI}.
    Then look for food, never eat anything washed up on shore. Look for fruits and berries.
    Make and maintain fires
    explore the island..then go have drinks at the resort on the other side. :rofl:

5. Jul 9, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Sorry Hypatia, but there is no resort on the side, if you knew that it could
    be years before being rescued, if ever, what things would you have to make?
    what about clothing, hygene, medical supplys etc.

6. Jul 9, 2005 #5
    well clothing would be optional, at that point, who cares? But I do know how to make palm leaf hats.
    Sanitary needs...pits dug a goodly distance from where your shelter is, you can even lay 2 logs on the edge and a make a seat. Put a little sand on top after each use.
    Bathing is done with sand in the ocean.
    Cuts and bruises and bumps, go directly into the ocean. To bring down fevers, I would also toss you in to the drink, or cover you with mud.{keeping in mind the 4 basics of medicen, hot, cold, wet, dry}
    Mud also works well to keep bugs off of you. And mixed with a sweet sap, will help sun burns, rashes.
    I would start experimenting with different plants/roots and inner tree barks.

7. Jul 9, 2005 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

They should cut all the trees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jul 9, 2005 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No matter where this island was, the first priority would be sorting out a source of clean water, although how this was done would depend on the location, resources, and circumstances. Secondly, if stranded in a group (as we are), a leadership system needs to be agreed, with attention paid to morale, discipline, distribution of expertise/ability, and possibly rationing. Loss of morale is one of the biggest indirect killers in these situations. Then we can start to think about things like sanitation (a latrine at least 3 metres deep, at least 500m away, and at least 100m downstream of any point on a river where water is taken from), and food and shelter (again, highly dependent on the environment).

Always been a bit of a survival geek, and have spent many weekends away living off the land, so to speak.

9. Jul 9, 2005 #8
    But with out shade or cloths..all your bare necessities would burn :cool:

10. Jul 9, 2005 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

Do we need to play with words to get the answer? :confused:

11. Jul 9, 2005 #10
    After a few months I would be paying some mind to the stars/moon, wind direction, and make currant buoys, and start plotting seasonal shifts. Days of the week would no longer matter, but monthly cycles, will let you know when its time to celebrate hoildays, its good for moral.

I may begin plans to build a sea worthy raft.

12. Jul 9, 2005 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Please define basic hand tools. Does that include hatchet? Otherwise building things of wood or cutting trees is mighty difficult - although one can build a fire on fallen trunk and do it the way the Islanders did it. Then one could also look for hard and sharp rocks.

Fresh water first. Then half builds shelter and the other half scavenges for food.

Toilet facilities must be well away from freshwater and where fishing is likely.

Any shiny surface or surfaces to flash at passing ships or planes?

13. Jul 9, 2005 #12
    Well, if it's a large island, then they should start a fire, and burn the whole forest down. That would send up a large cloud of smoke, which would be visible from the NOAA weather satellites; some geologists or whatever would fly in to investigate. In the meantime, they could survive on the barbecued remains of whatever indigenous wildlife used to live there. Also, it would be easier to find any natural water source or spring if there were no trees to block the view.

14. Jul 9, 2005 #13

wolram

Gold Member

Astronuc

List of tools, hand axe , large bow saw, hammer, flares, needles. all salvaged
    before the ship sank.

15. Jul 9, 2005 #14

wolram

Gold Member

No just think what you needed to do to stay alive, Brewy has mentioned
    electing a leader, and some good points have been raised already, so lets
    make life as easy as we can.

16. Jul 9, 2005 #15

wolram

Gold Member

I have found a source of water but it is an 8hr round trip through thick jungle.

17. Jul 9, 2005 #16
    first, find fresh water. this is the most important to survival, food and shelter can wait.
    then, build a shelter near the water.
    next, find berries and other edible plants, and make traps for game. also, learn to fish, PDQ.
    Next, don't do anything stupid.
    have signal fires ready to ignite in a visible spot
    also, have something to signal a plane with.
    one way to test if a plant is poisonous or not is to first, wipe it on your skin and wait. if irritation dosn't occur, then put some on your lip. if you are ok after a while, taste some, if ok, swallow a little bit.
    i have never used this, i have had no need to, so it may not work as i said, but it should
    also, some plants loose some poisonous qualities if you boil them, but not all.

fibonacci

18. Jul 9, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Ok, we have ten men and ten women, we have some tools, and we know how
    to look for food, should we elect a leader? knowing that we may be there for
    years what sort of things should we build?

19. Jul 9, 2005 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Is the island flat or does it have mountain/volcano/hills?

Give me the axe and let me get started on the shelter and dugouts. Interim shelters can be simple lean-to's.

Any reptiles/birds? Birds are good food in a pinch.

Certainly fish - spear fishing.

20. Jul 9, 2005 #19
    I say make a council,so that no one person dictates to all. Sub groups, will naturally form with personalities, most people know what they are best at.

Ahh good we have a needle, threads can be made from tree/plant fibers.

21. Jul 9, 2005 #20
    ok I've decided, the only 10 hour boat trip I'm ever gonna go on with be with PF members.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?