The island is big and wooded in parts, How do they survive?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary, the group of people stranded on the island must find a way to survive by finding fresh water, constructing shelter, and hunting for food. They must also watch for passing ships or planes in order to be rescued.
brewnog said:
Sorry, but I've just realized something, and it seems to have been lost on some of you. I reckon we want to start thinking about camouflage so that nobody else finds us!
:rofl: :rofl:
Agreed, if all is considered to be strictly hypothetical. For practical purposes, though, Astro for sure will want to get back with his family, and I suspect some others of you as well. I also have some medical requirements. If Hypatia and/or Moonbear can come up with some natural SSRI for me, I'm all for staying. (Any St. John's Wort around, by chance?) If not, none of you will want me on the same island after a couple of months.

Physics news on Phys.org
brewnog..nettles, a very rich source of tannic acid! But sadly not in the tropics. I would help moonbear gather insect gauls, and dark barks which we would mix with wood ash.

Tannic acid also binds with proteins in alcohol, and can be used to create a pure product.

from animals/fish we could save any bits of fat...to make soap.
I would have Astro help me hunt bees..so we could have wax and honey!
then we could make mead! :approve:

And Danger I got you covered..many tropical plants have properties that help you remain calm and collect.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
And Danger I got you covered..many tropical plants have properties that help you remain calm and collect.
Alright! Party on, then!

Now, how about those contraceptives...? :uhh:

BicycleTree said:
Fresh water is most important. Have you ever gone a day, night, and long morning without drinking anything?

You're a group, anyway, so if it gets cold you just huddle together.
And if you read the whole thread, you'd know we started out with a two day supply of food and water, so we're okay for the first night and trek to the new camp. We're already on day two here and survived the night just fine. Please try to keep up.

hypatia said:
brewnog..nettles, a very rich source of tannic acid! But sadly not in the tropics. I would help moonbear gather insect gauls, and dark barks which we would mix with wood ash.

Tannic acid also binds with proteins in alcohol, and can be used to create a pure product.

from animals/fish we could save any bits of fat...to make soap.
I would have Astro help me hunt bees..so we could have wax and honey!
then we could make mead! :approve:

Fantastic! Brewnog is right, with all of us together, who wants to go home? If I ever get stranded on a deserted island, this is the crowd I want to be with (but my luck is I'd get stranded with a bunch of politicians or celebrities who think it's hard work spending a day in a make-up chair).

I found German teenager Juliane Koepcke!

This is the most incredible survival story I've ever heard.

On Christmas Eve 1971, German teenager Juliane Koepcke sat next to her mother in the window seat of a Lockheed Electra. She had just graduated from high school in Lima, Peru, and was on her way to Pucallpa, where she and her mother would rendezvous with her father, biologist Hans Koepcke. But the plane never made it. The Electra hit a freak storm, and the 17-year-old girl looked out the window to see the right wing aflame. She turned to her mother, who said, "This is the end of everything." The last thing Juliane remembers is feeling herself whirling in midair.

She awoke three hours later, still strapped into her seat, hanging in a tree in the middle of the Amazon. Miraculously, she had only fractured her collarbone, gashed her right arm, and lost vision in one eye. She began looking for her mother, but all she found were empty seats and a row of three young women, covered in flies. Of the 92 people on board, Koepcke was the lone survivor. Although in shock, she remembered her father's advice: Heading downhill in the jungle leads to water, and water leads to civilization. She avoided all fruit that she watched the monkeys eat, remembering that they could be toxic to humans. She was constantly being bitten by flies, and after a few days she could see larvae under her skin...

Evo said:
She was constantly being bitten by flies, and after a few days she could see larvae under her skin...
:yuck:
Right! Hypatia, the other stuff can wait! Bug repellant first!

Danger said:
Probably be easier to burn them out, chip off any hardened residue, and save the sand scrub for last.
Good plan. I'll do it that way.

I really don't know, but probably at least 50 kgs.
That is, after I get someone to help lift the thing. I still need handles fashioned for it so we can lift it back out of the fire too...something we can remove while it's heating so they stay cool and I can then attach to get it off the fire. 50 kgs is hefty, but 2 people should be able to handle it. Might as well get in shape for when you guys start bringing me wild boars to butcher. I imagine they'll weight close to 50 kg or so too.

Moonbear said:
I still need handles fashioned for it so we can lift it back out of the fire too...something we can remove while it's heating so they stay cool and I can then attach to get it off the fire.
Don't forget that couple of hundred feet of aircraft control cable and the available gearing. There'll be a nice electric crane on hand for all that nasty stuff. (With a crank back-up in case the power quits.)

Well, seeing as we're on day two, we should start a foraging and hunting group to bring us some food for tomorrow. Are we already at the shelter near water? If not we should make that trip today, we can always come back to the bomber to get the stuff we need later.

What is our shelter near water exactly? and where is the bomber in relation to our starting beach and the water source?

If we're going to build the shelter out of the fuselage from the bomber we should hope the bomber is closer to the shelter than an 8 hour hike. If not we should build temporary shelter's for the night and not try to move all the parts in one day. And remember that Food and Water top priority over permanent shelter.

Last edited:
hypatia said:
I would help moonbear gather insect gauls, and dark barks which we would mix with wood ash. Tannic acid also binds with proteins in alcohol, and can be used to create a pure product.
Cool - we'll have to find the right trees.

hypatia said:
I would have Astro help me hunt bees..so we could have wax and honey! then we could make mead! :approve:
Cool - I'm up for raiding bee hives. :biggrin: Re: bees, I wonder how common in the tropcis. That implies flowering plants. Mead would be good. :biggrin:

My brother and I used to catch bees - boy did we get stung a lot. :biggrin: But that really never bother me.

hypatia said:
I'll have some of that too! :biggrin:

Wooly, it is most definitely time for you to post a map of this island. I can't find my way around in the real world without one; it's even worse in an imaginary one.

lol I found myself at work this AM, looking at how they made a feathered cape I have in stock. I should say, we would make quite the fashion statement on the island.

Danger said:
Wooly, it is most definitely time for you to post a map of this island. I can't find my way around in the real world without one; it's even worse in an imaginary one.

I will see what i can cook up old boy :biggrin:
I think we need daily progress reports, We can not have Astro chasing bees
when he should be busy with his gang building our home, and Brewy you and
Danger get your feet on the ground, you know walk before fly and stuff.
Now we have loads of metallic material, we need some thing to wear our selves,
and there is food to be gathered.
I need input guys i can't take all the weight :grumpy:

By the by a storm is coming
:devil: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Evo, you have an open invite to this mottly crew, we won't work you to hard
to start with.
By Evo
This is the most incredible survival story I've ever heard.

I have read of one guy who survived a huge fall from an aircraft in WW11
I think trees and then snow broke his fall, but i don't remember details.

hypatia said:
lol I found myself at work this AM, looking at how they made a feathered cape I have in stock. I should say, we would make quite the fashion statement on the island.

That ok for the ladies but what about us chaps, were freezing our___ off
at times :biggrin:

a feathered cods piece? Of course I'd half to take measurements :smile:

What sort of thread is this?
FEATHERED COD PIECES?
Hmm..there are some swiggly/jumpy/soft/hard associations here. Might be cool after all..

hypatia said:
a feathered cods piece? Of course I'd half to take measurements :smile:

Now there's a thought, what unit of measure to use on our island, i vote for
feet and inches, so then Hypatia will need a yard stick.
In the mean time a storm is brewing, do we have any shelter yet? and what
about a fire, the scavengers have found all types of fruit and roots, but how
do we know its safe to eat?

arildno said:
What sort of thread is this?
FEATHERED COD PIECES?
Hmm..there are some swiggly/jumpy/soft/hard associations here. Might be cool after all..

You will have to suffer hardships and be willing to earn your keep, what
skills can you offer?

wolram said:
You will have to suffer hardships and be willing to earn your keep, what
skills can you offer?
Oh, I have nothing against hardships, your excellency.
Since I am Norwegian, cold doesn't bother me, so I can be a blanket, if you like. In the summer, I can be a mattress.

arildno said:
Oh, I have nothing against hardships, your excellency.
Since I am Norwegian, cold doesn't bother me, so I can be a blanket, if you like. In the summer, I can be a mattress.

You don't seem to know what your getting yourself into old boy, we are battling
mother nature and using our skills and witts to survive, just one wrong move
could mean our demise.

Okay then:
When you big boys are out hunting with your weapons, sometimes you'll miss the prey, right?
So, I can search through the jungles and retrieve the spears and arrows for you.
How about that?

Oh, I know; I'll probably end up trying out them roots and fruits. :frown:

Hopefully, I'll get to taste the juicy ones before moving on to the poisonous.

Last edited:
arildno said:
Okay then:
When you big boys are out hunting with your weapons, sometimes you'll miss the prey, right?
So, I can search through the jungles and retrieve the spears and arrows for you.
How about that?

Not near enough old chap, we are the type that can skin a rabbit, with out
batting an eye, we have no fear of blood and gore, we have to build and
provision our new lives and face dangers every day, well one anyway :biggrin: :grumpy: so if you can wield and axe, make clothes or forage for food you
are welcome.

arildno said:
Oh, I know; I'll probably end up trying out them roots and fruits. :frown:

Hopefully, I'll get to taste the juicy ones before moving on to the poisonous.
Wasn't this good enough, either?
I'll munch dutifully whatever is given me.

Besides, I don't bat my eyes too much.:grumpy:

Last edited:
arildno said:
Wasn't this good enough, either?
I'll munch dutifully whatever is given me.

No sir, we are all for one and one for all, we share our danger :biggrin: no not
him, and work as a team, well mainly, where the eky thump are the rest of you
guys? :confused:

wolram said:
Now there's a thought, what unit of measure to use on our island, i vote for
feet and inches, so then Hypatia will need a yard stick.
In the mean time a storm is brewing, do we have any shelter yet? and what
about a fire, the scavengers have found all types of fruit and roots, but how
do we know its safe to eat?
feet and inches?! How barbaric! :rofl:

Did anyone save a ruler? How to measure inches and feet, without a standard?

The knuckle of my thumb is 1 inch across - 12 = 1 ft.

I'm quite good at measuring inches at an eye-glance, actually.
Perhaps that can be my job?

Astronuc said:
feet and inches?! How barbaric! :rofl:

Did anyone save a ruler? How to measure inches and feet, without a standard?

The knuckle of my thumb is 1 inch across - 12 = 1 ft.

O, is see you have returned, well may be a trip to the tailor will wipe that
big grin off your face
:biggrin:

Bararic you say, tis better than the rod, pole or perch.

And by the way, how is our house progressing?

The possibility of getting a working engine out of four possibly destroyed engines is near slim. The biggest problem is the high humidity and corrosive nature of the air in and surrounding the island. The seals should all be good, the problem is the weakened engine block and the large possibility of seized bearings.

If it were possible to get good parts off of a tear down of all four to make a working engine (it is vary easy to tear an engine down, I need a socket set, hammer, rubber mallet, and some high power solvent). The next big problem would be putting it back together, any sleave compression bearings would most likely need to be needed to be replaced, and a torque wrench is also an absolute necessity (if the gaskets and compression bearings aren't torqued to specs or evenly it whole thing will be large bomb worst case, completely destroyed best case when it was fired up).

Now if we manage to find all of the needed stuff for a teardown/rebuild the last major hurdle would be getting a good lubricant for the engine (something with a good thermal breakdown resistance and a medium viscosity at cold and operating temps of the engine. Also if we were to use alcohol for the fuel it would need to be pure (295 + prof) and the timings and carb jets would need to be changed.

There might also be a problem with running the engine at low altitude, they were built for high altitude moving through cold air, so the heavy warm air of the jungle floor might burn up the engine.

It's been two days so far, since we arrived. Ready to begin construction - food and water supplies are adequate.

Ah, question - What type of housing - e.g. two separate dormitory types - as in male and female, or one big structure with a partition? I am not sure how familiar people are around here. :biggrin:

Anybody have preferences?

I can be the partition, perhaps?

Astronuc said:
It's been two days so far, since we arrived. Ready to begin construction - food and water supplies are adequate.

Ah, question - What type of housing - e.g. two separate dormitory types - as in male and female, or one big structure with a partition? I am not sure how familiar people are around here. :biggrin:

Anybody have preferences?

I think when times are hard needs must, and we are all intelligent people,
but hanky panky must be an out door activity.

No man will get past me into the ladies room if you make me into a partition.