Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Jargon Game

  1. Feb 23, 2013 #1

    Ivan Seeking

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    I've noticed on several occasions that jargon familiar to me is not easily found on the internet. So it makes me suspect that it might be possible to have some fun with this. So, the normal rules apply, she or he who answers correctly goes next.

    What is it?

    A green weenie

    Context clue: Motorized vehicle
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2
    No clue.
    Here are my thoughts on the words.
    green -environmentally friendly
    weenie -hot dog
    - stretch to - any sausage - German - VW or other
    - further stretch -Polish Ukrainian etc.
  4. Mar 24, 2013 #3


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Hm ... I know that phrase but can't place it. I figure what's happening is that I'm old enough to remember it but so old I've forgotten it :smile:
  5. Mar 24, 2013 #4

    Ivan Seeking

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    more clues

    small engines
    air flow
  6. Mar 24, 2013 #5
    I've always heard this referred to as a type of fishing lure. This is definitely not what Ivan was looking for.

    But I believe what he is looking for is a type of air filter used mostly on dirt bikes.

    If that is correct thanks to my friends that ride motorcycles.
  7. Mar 24, 2013 #6

    Ivan Seeking

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Correct! You're up.

    The infamous Green Weenie air filter has been popular ever since before I was a kid riding my first dirt bike


    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  8. Mar 24, 2013 #7
    Ok here it goes.

    What is it?

    A Hollywood knot.

    Context clue: Used on stage, but not by actors.
  9. Mar 28, 2013 #8
    The next clue will ID this if you have good google foo.

    It is a system for ID'ing things.
  10. Apr 3, 2013 #9


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I'll venture a sort of guess. (I admit I did do a lot of googling, but I'm still not sure I have the right answer).

    When filming a movie or TV show, a lot of power is required through electricity. Lots of the electricity goes to lighting, and there's lots of lighting (any photographer/cinematographer will tell you, "it all starts with the lighting"). In addition to lighting there's the electricity required for cameras, electrical props, motorized thingamajigs, and whatnot. And, due to the nature of the film industry where a lot of this power generation is portable (on location, if for no other reason), the whole electrical system is pieced together, one piece at a time.

    Putting all this together means lots and lots and lots of electrical cables. Some cables will be ground (earth), some will be "hot," and different cables will be at different voltages. So if a technician wants to tap into a particular power source, that technician better be sure to pick the right set of cables out of the plethora of cables that might be lying on the floor.

    If I'm not mistaken, back in the olden days before colored cables were invented, these cables were distinguished from each other by a system involving knots.

    Even after colored cables and colored electrical tape were invented, I'm lead to believe that the knot method was still used so that technicians would know the type of cable in the dark, by using "feel" instead of just sight.

    Finally I suspect that this knot method might even be used outside the film industry if the working area is ever expected to be dimly lit.

    So that's my guess. A "Hollywood Knot" is knot used as part of a system to distinguish electrical cables from one another (possibly in addition to a system of color identification).

    (I'll post a new question if my guess is correct.)

    [Edit: And this sort of system can be particularly useful in the process feeding a bunch of wires or even groups of bunches of wires though a tube or conduit.]
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  11. Apr 11, 2013 #10
    Yup you hit it on the head Collinsmark.

    The system is used a bit still in Hollywood, however almost all mains power distribution has moved over to a cam lock system (multi cable) or a pin and sleeve system (single feeder cable). Also most every distro box also has power taps for branching off to other distros.
  12. Apr 11, 2013 #11


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    To keep the ball rolling, I was thinking of picking an easy one. I had intended to pick "cat whisker," as in the early semiconductor detector. When I checked a couple of weeks ago, it was hard to find. But now the correct answer is the first hit in the Google search. !?! So much for that. :frown: I guess I'll have to pick a different term.

    Instead I'll pick another easy one. :smile: What is a "Harrier"?

    Stipulation: What I'm referring here is:
    o Not a hunting dog.
    o Not a diurnal hawk (read not a bird).
    o Not a military jet aircraft.
  13. Apr 11, 2013 #12
    Harriers are running hashes and drink beer?
  14. Apr 11, 2013 #13


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I guess that's close enough. You mentioned running, and that will do.

    I was thinking more generally of a cross country runner (as opposed to strictly track runner, but I suppose any runner will do).

    In high school I was on the cross country team. We would refer to ourselves and others in the sport as harriers. Similarly, members of competing teams knew and used the term the same. But people outside the sport had no idea what we were talking about.

    Okay, Andre. You're up.
  15. Apr 11, 2013 #14
    This is my source; hash house harriers

    The new word:



    None of these parrots; they are all wrong.

    Also, this parrot is older than I am, so it can't be any new blue toothish gadget or similar.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  16. Apr 11, 2013 #15
    It was this post ..

    with a weird twist that made me select the word 'parrot'

    'Weird twist' means that googling dragonfly won't help.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  17. Apr 12, 2013 #16
    The name of this gadget stems from the sound it seems to be making.
  18. Apr 12, 2013 #17
    the keyword in there is "seems", in reality the only real sound that it's making is tiny little clicks when operating the dials.
  19. Apr 12, 2013 #18


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Would that be "squawk"?

    Aviation transponder? Or perhaps technically better, aviation transponder codes?

    (Or maybe technically better still is a historically related piece of hardware, a World War II Identification Friend or Foe [IFF] system, which was code-named "Parrot," upon which aviation transponders are based.)
  20. Apr 13, 2013 #19
    It's the transponder for identification purposes of flying objects :smile: Obviously the dragon fly was an identified flying object.

    In NATO air defence jargon it is still used on a daily basis. We have a parrot check and when aircraft come to close formation ("holding hands") or when they "hassle" the wingmen have to stop the squawk for avoiding interference, which is 'jargoned' as "strangle parrot".

    There is so many more funny jargon in there, but you can only use one.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  21. Apr 13, 2013 #20


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Okay, here's the new technical jargon term.

    What is a "watchdog"?

    In this context,
    • It is not canine.
    • As a matter of fact it isn't even alive.
    • It is not virus or malware protection monitoring software or anything like that. It does not actively monitor anything, so to speak, outside of itself. (Well it doesn't monitor anything besides the most simplest of things, which is still, technically part of itself. Although this simple thing can be manipulated externally.)
    • [Edit: It does have a particular control over something outside of itself. It just doesn't monitor a whole heck of a lot outside of itself, which is my point.]
    • It usually consists, at least in part, of something physical (tangible as opposed to abstract).
    • Although quite common these days, a watchdog never act as a purely standalone thing; you can't go to the store and buy a complete watchdog, all by itself.
    • It's quite probable that you own at least one watchdog.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  22. Apr 13, 2013 #21
    Some part of a watch ?
  23. Apr 13, 2013 #22


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I'm going to have to say 'no' on that one.

    That said, the passage of time is of utmost importance to a watchdog. But it has nothing particularly to do with a wristwatch sort of watch. (Not unless that wristwatch is a really, really sophisticated sort of wristwatch that Dick Tracy might wear.)
  24. Apr 13, 2013 #23
    Some part of a dog?
  25. Apr 13, 2013 #24


    User Avatar
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    Lol! :rofl::rofl::rofl: <catches breath and cleans coffee spray off screen.>

  26. Apr 13, 2013 #25

    Jonathan Scott

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Various bits of computer-based equipment contain separate "watchdog timers" that will reset or restart them if they aren't reset within a time limit. Is that what you mean?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook