How to Beat a Speeding Ticket: A Guide for Motorists

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, a Parrot is a type of remote control that is often used for aerial drones and other small vehicles. It is named after the sound it appears to make when in use.
Travis_King said:
Woohoo! I got into sailing a bit a few years ago (can't afford my own boat though, so it's tough to get out there). I had no idea really until I re-read the "running" comment.

Ok, how about:

"Octopus" (suffice it to say, not the animal)

Secondary regulator for SCUBA diving?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the one.

The Octopus, as it is almost universally called in SCUBA diving, is a secondary (or backup) demand valve (or regulator).

The Octopus exists as a safety measure for buddy diving (as one should never dive alone) in case one of the divers runs out of air, or his own equipment is otherwise compromised. Initially, safety procedures included "buddy breathing" which has the out-of-breath diver and his buddy take turns sharing the air through a single regulator. As diving technology and awareness increased, a second second-stage regulator was added so that divers could keep the regulator in their mouths at all times while they make their controlled emergency swimming ascent to the surface. This was especially important for cases where divers found themselves out of air in tight or technical areas; not having to share the same regulator meant that divers could swim to safety together without stopping every few seconds to take a breath.

The origin of the name is somewhat hazy, but a common theory is that the entire hose setup (the first stage, BC inflator, Gauges, primary regulator and safe-second) was called the octopus (just look at the thing, it's not hard to understand why!). Diving literature would, when describing proper procedures in emergency situations point out that if one runs out of air, he should seek out his buddy, signal his trouble, and get air from his buddy's octopus; either by buddy breathing through a single primary regulator, or sharing his buddy's "safe-second".

Since the practice of diving with a safe-second regulator has pretty much become ubiquitous among divers and dive shops, it seems people have simply taken to referring to the safe-second itself as the "octopus".

You're up!

Last edited:
Nice one :smile:.

OK how about this:

Stickers.

The wood will need to be "sticker stacked". Stickers are four foot long 1"x1" pieces of wood, which are used in between the layers of lumber. This allows air flow between the drying lumber. ...

source

Andre said:

Yep. You're up!

Ah yes, seeing your forest nymph avatar, I added 'wood' to the search.

The next word could be difficult.

"Gate"

But none of these gates

Last edited:
Andre said:
The next word could be difficult.

"Gate"

The afterburner notch on a military throttle...

Or the thrust-reverse notch on a commercial one...

edit: Or that swingy thing that you Dutch guys have in the front of your wooden trousers...

Last edited:
Bill Gates?

Danger got it, good job.

Andre said:
Danger got it, good job.

On the 3rd try, right? :devil:

Okay then... this could be very easy or somewhat hard depending upon culture. It's involved in a sport that, while played in the USA, is not nearly as popular there as it is here in Canada or in the UK.
A "Robin Hood".

Does it refer to a shot in archery, where one hits (or splits) a previously shot arrow (preferably an arrow already in the bullseye)?

collinsmark said:
Does it refer to a shot in archery, where one hits (or splits) a previously shot arrow (preferably an arrow already in the bullseye)?

Soooo close! Think smaller.

Ahh. Same thing but in Darts?

http://3.7mustang.com/vb/attachments/f19/103255d1157317672-my-robin-hood-darts-%2Apics%2A-picture-004.jpg

collinsmark said:
Ahh. Same thing but in Darts?
Bullseye! One of my former teammates, who was a much better player than me, once managed to stack three of the damned things. Due to them being made of tungsten, and that the law of gravity hadn't been repealed, the 3rd one just knocked the other two out of the board.
Carry on, m'man.

New word. What is a buyback? In some circles it's also called a backup (or any variation such as "buy back" or "back up.")

But it is neither any of these nor these.

In this context
  • it is a noun.
  • it is jargon, but it is nothing technical. So if you're thinking about some sort of technical gizmo, scientific device or computer related thing, you're on the wrong track.
  • I would not consider it a financial thing, although it technically does involve money, in part, sort of. To say it has absolutely nothing to do with money would be false. But if you're thinking about stocks, bonds, or financial investments, you're off the mark.
  • It's existence is typically signified by a particular type of object turned upside down.
  • Danger probably knows what it is even without reading this list of bullets. So if you happen to be Danger, you might consider giving others a chance at least for a few minutes or so.

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
[*]Danger probably knows what it is even without reading this list of bullets. So if you happen to be Danger, you might consider giving others a chance at least for a few minutes or so.

Well... I was going to say that it's the money you receive when you sue your chiropractor for malpractice, but now you have me intrigued...

edit: For the record, I honestly have no idea. It's not a common word in any field that I've been involved with (unless it's regional). No worries about me popping a spoiler. If I think that I've figured it out before anyone else, I'll PM you to check.

Last edited:
Danger said:
Well... I was going to say that it's the money you receive when you sue your chiropractor for malpractice, but now you have me intrigued...
:smile: It does not involve lawsuits or law. I mentioned that money is involved, but we're only talking a few bucks* or so.

*(dollars, euros, etc. Whatever currency is used in the country where you happen to be in at the time.)

[Edit: Maybe it is regional. In the places I frequent, it's called a backup, but a little research shows that that's probably the less common term. I find that buyback seems more common elsewhere. Now Danger has me wondering if there are more names for this thing than I mentioned, but I'm not sure.]

Last edited:
Okay, maybe I should give a few more clues.

• If you receive a buyback/backup, a particular type of upside down object will be placed in front of you. This upside down object signifies that you have a buyback/backup. Sometimes the upside down object is called a buyback or backup, but it really isn't; it just serves to signify that a buyback/backup exists.
  • Buybacks/backups are abstract, i.e., they are not tangible objects (although the associated upside down objects are tangible). Buybacks/backups can be exchanged for certain tangible things. When a buyback/backup is exchanged, the upside down object is removed in the process.
  • It is possible to have more than one buyback/backup at a time. If you receive a new backup before you exchange an existing one, a new upside down object will be placed in front of you in addition to anything else that already might be there, including any existing upside down objects.
  • It is possible to purchase buybacks/backups. Normally, one only purchases buybacks/backups for other people. It is not normal for one to purchase a buyback/backup for oneself. [Edit: it is more likely that one would purchase the certain class of tangible object directly for oneself, without dealing with a buyback/backup.]
  • It is unlikely that you will receive a buyback/backup if you presently have nothing in front of you in the first place. If somebody purchases a buyback/backup for you, and at that time you don't have a tangible thing that you are presently working on, you would probably just be given the tangible substitution directly instead.
  • Buybacks/backups are not part of a game.

So I guess the real question is, for what is a buyback, or backup exchanged? And what specifically is that upside down object?

Last edited:
My goodness. Nobody?!

Okay, over the last 16 or so hours, I've just polled several friends who are familiar with the subject, on both the employee side and the customer side, who have traveled across the western world (experience with at least four countries and three continents), and I asked them for their feedback on the commonality and frequency of usage of backups (aka. buybacks.)

Feedback shows that buybacks/backups are somewhat common, but not as common as I originally thought. I honestly thought their usage was more common, but that could just be a strange coincidence between me and the universe. So I suppose even more clues are due:

More clues (some of these clues are based on recent feedback):
  • Buybacks/backups are only applicable within the boundaries of a certain type of business establishment. But buybacks/backups are not universally common in all such establishments. In some establishments they are common, in some they are not.
  • Those business establishments where buybacks/backups are common are likely patronized, to at least a significant fraction, by people who are well acquainted with each other and are regularly returning customers.
  • It is less likely to encounter buybacks/backups at those business establishments that function on a more touristy level, where the customers are typically, completely different from day to day. (But even in these such establishments I have seen buybacks/backups in use first hand, so I know they exist! But then again maybe this is the same, strange coincidence between me and the universe.)
  • The upside down object is transparent and can fit in the palm of your hand. It is just large enough so that you can grip it and completely close your fingers around it, but just by a little.
  • Additional research shows that in some establishments, this upside down object is substituted with a smaller, wooden or plastic, easily stackable disk. But I find that this is even less common, but it might be worthy of mention.
  • If the establishment itself purchases you a buyback/backup, it can go by a different name (a name which I have not mentioned). The term buyback or backup is a more general term, since a buyback or backup can be purchased for someone by anybody, the establishment and other customers alike.

Last edited:
Buyback of shares?

Vagrant said:
Buyback of shares?

No. It doesn't involved stocks, bonds, or financial investments at all. A backup/buyback does involve money to some degree, but only a few dollars or so (roughly).

More feedback coming in. A "marker" is also an acceptable term for what I speak. "marker", "buyback", "backup" are all the same thing.

collinsmark said:
More feedback coming in. A "marker" is also an acceptable term for what I speak. "marker", "buyback", "backup" are all the same thing.

The more you explain it, the more confusing it gets. Where I live, a "marker" is a felt pen, or once in a rare while an IOU.

collinsmark said:
New word. What is a buyback? In some circles it's also called a backup (or any variation such as "buy back" or "back up.")

Well, hell. I don't want to hijack this thread with a word that's too obscure, so I'm just going to answer my own move, and move on to a new one. In all honesty, I didn't think it was an unusual term at all, but maybe it was. Let's just move on. My bad, I guess.

l.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/Garreytheyankee/photos/38487464

http://digloss.wordpress.com/travels/bar-etiquette-buy-backs-and-earning-them/

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=buy%20back

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2012/02/from-behind-the-bar-buybacks-free-drinks.html

(The above links refer more to the "comp" specific version of the buyback/backup, but that's what's easiest to find on the Internet. See a few posts below for details.)

Is the establishment a bar?

Is a buyback/backup a temporary substitute for a drink (typically with alcohol)?

Is the upside down object a upside down shotglass?

Last edited:
collinsmark said:
Is the establishment a bar?

Is a buyback/backup a temporary substitute for a drink (typically with alcohol)?

Is the upside down object a upside down shotglass?

Yes, yes, and yes. Good job. :approve:

collinsmark said:
Yes, yes, and yes. Good job. :approve:

Could you explain more, please?

collinsmark said:
Could you explain more, please?

Why yes, good sir.

When I am out and about, people tend to buy me drinks a lot. I don't comprehend the rationale behind the whole thing, but that's the way it is. I try to repay the favor by buying drinks for the people who bought me drinks. In the end there's a whole lot drinks being bought for people, by a lot of people. 'Lots going on.

If you are in a bar, (assume you are sitting at the bar as opposed to a table), sipping on your drink, and somebody else buys you a drink, it is common (in my circles anyway) that the bartender will inform you that somebody wants to buy you a drink (it could be a stranger, a longtime friend, whoever). If you accept, the bartender will place an upside down shotglass in your vicinity and charge the other person for your next drink. It can now be said that you have a backup (or as some like to say, a buyback). When you finish your current drink and order your next one, instead of paying with cash or credit, the bartender will symbolically take the upside down shotglass as payment (although this is not truly a payment, since the drink was already purchased beforehand; it's a symbolic thing).

Why do this? If the bartender made your new drink immediately, it would get warm or go flat while you are sipping on your current drink. This way the drink isn't made until you are ready to drink it.

I've experienced this not only where I live (which is common in my local pub in the United States) but also all the way from Balina Ireland to the bar in the Narita airport (Tokyo's main international airport. Granted, that was years ago when we were doing backups at Narita, and maybe the particular bartender has moved on since then, but I'm just saying if it can happen there, it can't be too uncommon) and places in between.

By the way, if the bar buys you a drink, it's also called a "comp", but that's a more specific term. A "backup" (or "buyback") is a more general term, referring to a drink that can be purchased either by the bar or by a patron.

But whatever. Maybe it's not as common as I thought. Maybe this is a strange coincidence between me and the particular quantum reality in which we reside. let's move on with a new word then.

Last edited:
New word. What is a finger?

It's not any of these fingers.

Unlike the last word, this finger is very technical. As a matter of fact, it's more technical than you can shake a stick at.

It involves communication.

The finger protocol matches your description perfectly, but it is listed there :(.

mfb said:
The finger protocol matches your description perfectly, but it is listed there :(.

Not the finger protocol.

Last edited:
The finger to which I refer, although not directly related, is indirectly related, with a twist or two, to this woman:

1.jpg

hedy_lamarr2.jpg

Hedy-Lamarr-classic-movies-6630927-400-400.jpg

One might say she invented the foundation of such technologies where fingers are used (but she didn't specifically invent fingers themselves per se, so don't read too much into this).

Last edited:
Okay, I'm pretty sure that I know who the woman is and what she did in relation to the question, but I'm not familiar with the specific term and am not going to look it up right now. If I'm right about the premise, it will be easy enough to check later.
Meanwhile, back to your accursed previous puzzle...
I tended bar for over 20 years, and I'm an alcoholic, and I can guarantee that no such thing as your "buyback" has ever existed anywhere near my locale. Here, if someone buys you a drink it is simply delivered, or you are told about it and then it arrives when you're ready if heating/cooling is an issue. If you don't want it, you can decline but it's already bought and someone else will drink it or it goes down the sink. No "markers" are used; we Canucks have something called "memory". :tongue:

Ok. Finger, communication, Black and white photo...

The picture made me think of the time era of rotary phones.

Finger is the number of digits in a phone number. That is, it's the number of times you would need to put your finger in the rotary dial of a phone.

Last edited:
flatmaster said:
Ok. Finger, communication, Black and white photo...

The picture made me think of the time era of rotary phones.

Finger is the number of digits in a phone number. That is, it's the number of times you would need to put your finger in the rotary dial of a phone.

Sorry, but no. The finger in question is way more technical.

And by the way, the woman in those black and white photos is not just another, pretty face. She's a very particular woman who is credited for being the first to invent a certain class of communication technology used today in 3G/4G cellular systems, WiFi and Bluetooth. But as a reminder, don't take that too far; her device was comparatively simpler and did not involve fingers.

This use of finger here is very technical. Unless you've had education or experience in this field, you're unlikely to simply guess it.

On the other hand, an Internet search will lead you to the correct answer if your google fu is good.*

*[Quite easily as a matter of fact, with nothing more than the keywords already hinted at. (You might consider first trying to determine the name of that woman.)]

Last edited:
<h2>1. How can I beat a speeding ticket?</h2><p>There are several strategies that you can use to potentially beat a speeding ticket. These include challenging the accuracy of the speed measurement device, proving that the officer did not have a clear view of your vehicle, or arguing that you were not the one driving the vehicle at the time of the violation.</p><h2>2. Do I need a lawyer to beat a speeding ticket?</h2><p>While having a lawyer can be helpful in navigating the legal system, it is not always necessary to hire one to beat a speeding ticket. You can gather evidence and present your case on your own, or you can hire a traffic ticket attorney to represent you.</p><h2>3. How can I prove that the speed measurement device was inaccurate?</h2><p>You can request the calibration and maintenance records of the device used to measure your speed. You can also argue that the officer did not have proper training in using the device or that the device was not used correctly at the time of the violation.</p><h2>4. Can I beat a speeding ticket if I was caught on camera?</h2><p>It is possible to beat a speeding ticket if you were caught on camera, but it may be more challenging. You can still challenge the accuracy of the camera or argue that the camera was not properly maintained. You can also try to prove that the license plate in the photo does not match your vehicle.</p><h2>5. Will attending traffic school help me beat a speeding ticket?</h2><p>Attending traffic school may not necessarily help you beat a speeding ticket, but it can potentially reduce the penalties or points on your license. In some cases, attending traffic school may also be a requirement for having the ticket dismissed. It is best to check with your local court to see if this is an option for your specific case.</p>

1. How can I beat a speeding ticket?

There are several strategies that you can use to potentially beat a speeding ticket. These include challenging the accuracy of the speed measurement device, proving that the officer did not have a clear view of your vehicle, or arguing that you were not the one driving the vehicle at the time of the violation.

2. Do I need a lawyer to beat a speeding ticket?

While having a lawyer can be helpful in navigating the legal system, it is not always necessary to hire one to beat a speeding ticket. You can gather evidence and present your case on your own, or you can hire a traffic ticket attorney to represent you.

3. How can I prove that the speed measurement device was inaccurate?

You can request the calibration and maintenance records of the device used to measure your speed. You can also argue that the officer did not have proper training in using the device or that the device was not used correctly at the time of the violation.

4. Can I beat a speeding ticket if I was caught on camera?

It is possible to beat a speeding ticket if you were caught on camera, but it may be more challenging. You can still challenge the accuracy of the camera or argue that the camera was not properly maintained. You can also try to prove that the license plate in the photo does not match your vehicle.

5. Will attending traffic school help me beat a speeding ticket?

Attending traffic school may not necessarily help you beat a speeding ticket, but it can potentially reduce the penalties or points on your license. In some cases, attending traffic school may also be a requirement for having the ticket dismissed. It is best to check with your local court to see if this is an option for your specific case.