Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The jet age of computers

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1
    I must admit. I am slowly becoming a tech junkie. I have office 2007, and its great. I use microsoft outlook to link to my msn mail and my school email -sweet. I also downloaded Internet Explorer 7, really really nice program. I have 7 home pages that all load up each time I open IE and it autosaves the passwords for them. So bing, there is Physicsforums, my school email, msn email, ebay, blackboard etc. And the fact that its all in tabs means I dont have my windows menubar full of IE tiles. Even more awesome is the google toolbar which lets me hight words, right click, and do a fast google search without typing a thing. Then I downloaded the latest version of AIM which lets you change the colors it displays. And the latest version of real player, which looks very nice.

It seems like computers are making another big jump in terms of user interface. Everything is now so clean, and user friendly. I am really impressed by whats being put out now. Very high quality.

Then theres the Iphone which has a moving google map on it, with that sweet touch screen. Ipods the size of a quarter. I love technology :approve:

I just want them to figure out a way to eliminate all these damn power cords all around the back of my computer.

I want to get vista because it looks so damn nice, but I only have 1 gig of ram and I hear its very slow with 1 gig. But I think given some time for MS to get the bugs out, its going to be a nice OS. I love XP. Its never crashed on me before.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  4. Dec 15, 2007 #3
    Oh, and I forgot to mention my favorite website.

www.pandora.com

You put in music you like. It has algorithms based on your choices (thumbs up or down) that finds new songs you would possibly like. The more you listen to it, the more it refines itself to your tastes. Dont like something? Give it a thumbs down and you never hear it again. Really great website.

Thats also a new area. Interactive software that learns based on your choices. Very cool.

And the thing is, most of this stuff dont cost you a dime! (You just have to know what to look for)

5. Dec 15, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You realize that all those features in IE 7 have been long present in Firefox, right? You can get rid of all the power cords by going wireless...bluetooth is great for that.

Vista looks nice, but isn't worth it, in my opinion. It seems to be just trying to look like a Mac, but without the functionality. Slow if you don't have a brand new computer, and a LOT of compatibility problems with external devices. I know a few people who got computers with Vista and wiped it off and reinstalled XP.

I don't love XP, but it hasn't outright crashed on me yet. It seems to be pretty stupid though...I tell it over and over to NOT give me these stupid pop up notifications (I know when I don't have a network cable plugged in) and every time I restart, it forgets those settings. I finally gave up and just let it do what it wants.

I did get the new Mac OS though...installed it on the iMac at home. SWEEEEEET!!! I admit, I got it for the bells and whistles, not because I needed it. I'm not installing it on the laptop though, because I'm not sure a computer that old can take it and I'm also not sure all the software I use is compatible yet (everything I've played with so far is, but I don't want to desperately need something and find out I can't open it). Once I've played with it long enough to be sure I haven't lost anything in the upgrade to need what's on the backup drive, I'll reformat that and start playing with the Wayback Machine on it (I think that's what it's called).

Now if I could only figure out a way to get Macs and PCs to synchronize files so they all have the most current version of whatever I'm working on, I'd be thrilled...but not counting on that one. :rolleyes:

6. Dec 15, 2007 #5
    Make a shared folder that both computers can access through your network. Then if you change anything on that folder by any computer, both see that change made.

Here is the thing about firefox. It is nice, yes. But its redundant. I dont like having programs on my computer. The less the better. I hate excess. So now IE7 does all the things Firefox does, and I dont need more space used up on a redundant program.

7. Dec 15, 2007 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That would be great if I could convince the PC to talk to the Mac network. The Macs have no problem, but the PC gets stubborn.

8. Dec 15, 2007 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Firefox has a great set of plugins that improve the browsing experience.
    I really like "Nuke Anything Enhanced", Adblock, and downthemall.

9. Dec 15, 2007 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I consider IE to be the redundant program. :biggrin: IE is just too vulnerable to viruses and such that I refuse to even open it. I used it once...to download Firefox. :biggrin: I'd use Outlook, but the morons who run our IT department make us use a really crappy email program and won't allow POP or IMAP access. But, their stupidity is a whole 'nother thread of rants (I was talking with some of the other faculty about how counterproductive most of their policies are...we have to change our passwords so often that none of us can remember them...walk into any of our offices and look for the passwords on a sticky note on the monitor...I only use that one to access the parking department anyway, and I keep telling the IT folks that I really will NOT object if someone hacks in and pays my parking fees for me :rolleyes: They don't find this funny.)

10. Dec 15, 2007 #9
    I like the little tile button on the side of the tabs. You can see a mini tile of all the tabs you have of your web pages and even refresh individual webpages. Then you just click on that tile and it zooms into your webpage. Its neat!

Why do you have to pay for parking as staff?! We pay 200 a year as students. I hate the parking people. They give out tickets no less than $75 bucks. Every time there is a game you have to move your car by 6 or get a ticket. They drive around constantly. Walk away for more than 15 mins and you will get a ticket. Parking at an expired meter is cheaper ($15).

If you appeal it, they say no. Their appeal process is TOTALLY random, we actually proved this scientifically through an experiment.

I think the students would be happy if their office burned to the ground. EVERY one hates the parking people. They are trying to make it illegal to park on campus at anytime, anywhere.

They actually go around at night recording license plates. If its there in the morning at lot 1, they tow your car. How nice. (This is because student residents were parking there).

11. Dec 15, 2007 #10

ranger

Gold Member

You're kidding, right? Theres more to FF than tabbed browsing.

12. Dec 15, 2007 #11
    What else does it do? -I dont use it. So I dont know all its features.

13. Dec 15, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every university charges faculty and staff to park, and usually they charge us more than they charge the students. Parking is pretty cheap here, so it's not such a big deal (some people started a big email war copying everyone when the rates increased by $2/month complaining how it was a 20% increase :rofl:...if they weren't being annoying by copying everyone, I would have replied to them and pointed out that I've paid as much as $600 per year for parking at some institutions, and they should be darn glad it costs so little here considering how little space the university has to use for parking lots). What really is bad here is that the secretaries and maintenance staff get better parking spots than faculty. :grumpy: I think it's a union issue (faculty don't have a union, and we'd rather keep it that way, but the staff that are unionized gripe over things like parking spots, so get them...I try about once a year to get a better spot, and it never works...if I move into a tenure track position I think I'll negotiate for a parking spot as part of my start-up package :rolleyes:). "Parking people" are pretty much the same everywhere. That's always the most unpleasant office to deal with. But, it's been nice with all the rain lately...they don't ticket in the rain, so I have been parking close to the building and they haven't caught me all month (if it's clear weather or might clear sometime during the day, I park where I'm supposed to)...I also don't park too close, and when I park, I pull right up to guard rails so they can't see my parking hang tag without climbing through mud puddles. :devil:

14. Dec 15, 2007 #13
    Another thing I hate is all these students riding around with their damn scooters. They go 30mph down the walkways at the mall and campus. My friend is like, if they can park those scooters infront of buildings, Im parking my motorcycle infront of buildings. So he just rides right up to the door of the building and parks it. What can the parking people do? Nothing. Its brilliant.

15. Dec 15, 2007 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I didn't mind pandora but I much prefer LaunchCast. Just pick a genre and then start refining your choices as you go. Same thing as Pandora but there's more control.

16. Dec 15, 2007 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I haven't seen anyone with scooters around here, so that's not really an issue. I'm not sure what they do about motorcycles around here. I don't see many of them, but it's not like there's a place to put a hangtag, so they might get away with parking wherever they want.

17. Dec 15, 2007 #16
    No, motorcycles get a special sticker they have to put on their frame to park. Or they get a big fat ticket on their seat!

LOTS of students have these damn scooters all over the places. Its annoying. Its mostly the athletes.

18. Dec 15, 2007 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Somehow, I suspect our parking office would find a way to make them pay or ticket them as a motorized vehicle. I'm surprised they haven't found a way to make bicyclists pay for parking yet. :uhh:

19. Dec 16, 2007 #18

ranger

Gold Member

I was referring to the firefox add-ons; more specifically the extensions. Robphy has already mentioned some great ones. A few of my favorites are:
    Remove it Permanently (a permanent alternative to Nuke Anything Enhanced)
    Adblock
    Video DownloadHelper
    NoScript (probably my most favorite)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1

They also have some cool themes to spice up your fox (gee, that sounds cheesy).

20. Dec 16, 2007 #19

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I use Remove it Permanently as well.
    ...and I really like the MyPage bookmarklet http://mrclay.org/index.php/2006/04/23/mypage-bookmarklet/

I often save webpages as PDFs with PDFCreator... but I hate a lot of the junk that might come along with a page... and I like to keep only the things I want (and use as few pages). So, Nuke Anything, R.I.P. and MyPage are great. They can be used concurrently...which is good when one isn't able to remove something and another is.

TabMaxPlus and IE Tab (for viewing IE-only pages) are other favorites. Greasemonkey is interesting.

21. Dec 16, 2007 #20
    I'm going to have to upgrade sooner or later----(still using WIN98SE)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?