Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The joys of growing old

1. May 11, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The days when I could sneak upstairs without a making a sound are gone. Due to numerous injuries, my knees and hips snap, crackle and pop as I climb the stairs. :redface:

I find that I can't stand still for long periods or bend constantly without groaning. :redface:

I can work in the garden on my hands and knees for hours, I just can no longer stand back up without assistance (sometimes accompanied by a small scream of pain). :redface:

My knees are getting wrinkled. :cry: Can you get botox for knees?

Oh, and guess what? I've decided to buy an electric mower!!! My riding mower is in the shop and I remember a neighbor of mine had one...

Ok, we're taking bets. How far can Evo go before she mows the power cord?

A) 5 minutes

B) 10 minutes

C) Are you kidding? She won't make it onto the grass before the cord wraps around her legs, drags her to the ground, pinning her to the mower THEN the cord hits the blades. :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2007 #2

berkeman

You know you're getting old when cross-training becomes a necessity. You can no longer do the same workout two days in a row (swim, bike, run, MX, etc.).....

4. May 11, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

After reading this, I'll have to go for C). :biggrin: o:)

5. May 11, 2007 #4
    The second sign of getting old is loss of memory.

:uhh: I can't remember what the first sign is.

6. May 11, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm betting on C.

Funny, I almost started a thread like this the other day. I guess we are both feeling old these days. :biggrin:

As for Berkeman, :grumpy:, you are old when cross training means that you walk up the hill and then pass gas.

7. May 11, 2007 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Evo,

I'ts about time I told you that we have a print of the same painting (same as your avitar) of the Lady of Shallot in our foyer. There's a story behind this print, but later...It's some thing about the...anyway I didn't think at first...you see

the woman has been getting younger! In the picture! She's getting younger! Something is terribly wrong!

8. May 11, 2007 #7

Evo

:surprised :bugeye: :surprised

:cry:

9. May 11, 2007 #8

Evo

It's spring, time for yard work, the old bones aren't ready yet.

:biggrin:

10. May 11, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Hey, don't forget membership in AARP! :biggrin: :rofl:

11. May 11, 2007 #10
    For those are experiencing the joy of growing reeaaallllly old, is it true that you tend to become more religious when you grow old (provided you are not atheist of course) ?
    In my place, I find this true for a large majority, especially elderly women.

12. May 11, 2007 #11
    Interestingly, I've noticed that the proportion of old people at my church back in college was about 1/4, which was curiously high, considering its proximity to campus. I remember always being scared of being late to church; all the college students went to the early service, and if I showed up for the late one, I'd be sandwiched in between old people.

Not that I don't like old people too. It's just that my college friends tolerate my constant physics-related discourses more easily. :rolleyes:

13. May 11, 2007 #12

radou

Homework Helper

I can't imagine my mother being religious. :tongue:

14. May 11, 2007 #13
    Ok, these are small discomforts but they don't seem to be that bad. IMO, older people have a lot of charm. Personally, i am looking foreward to grow older because it means :

1) i will look more "esthetic" and more "experienced"
    2) an older face expresses the experience of life and shows more character and class
    3) more money as your professional career grows
    4) you are climbing the social ladder
    5) young women will like me more :wink: because of ... err...you know... $$$

I will be truely happy when i am around 50-55. I will be at the top of my career, i will be the richest ever in my lifetime and 25 year old women will think : "ohh, look at the distinguised gentleman with his nice Jaguar and his $$$$$ bank account. This guy "knows life" ..."

Ahhh, the joys of growing old, indeed. I am looking foreward.

marlon

15. May 11, 2007 #14
    "The older I get the older "old" gets." How old do we feel is the question.
    Today I feel about 16 in dog years.

16. May 11, 2007 #15

Astronuc

I don't see that as necessarily the case, but for some, it is a place to socialize. I have seen more women at church than men - in general - regardless of age.

Certainly as one gets older, one faces one's mortality, especially when friends and siblings start dying off. My parents, who have reached the mean age of longevity in the US, have had many friends and colleagues die already.

17. May 11, 2007 #16

radou

Homework Helper

Well, it depends.

I would second that if I could look like Jack Nicholson, for example. :approve: :biggrin:

It's great to see such optimism. Thumbs up! :wink:

18. May 11, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quit laughing. :grumpy:

19. May 11, 2007 #18
    I do, with a slight Marlon Brando touch on the side.

marlon

20. May 11, 2007 #19
    This was what I think is the reason. For the majority I think, prayer is a way of finding inner peace and forgetting the grief. It is also considered as a way of atoning for one's past sins. And as you mentioned, socializing with people of same age group is another reason.

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  21. May 11, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you know that they weren't always religious?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?