The Key to Happiness

• Thread starter modulus
  • Start date
I look back on all the music I've made so far and I almost feel content, like I could die now and be happy with what I had done.

That's pretty much the exact opposite feeling I have after having spent the last 5 years dedicated towards my PhD research which is tauntingly unfinished. If I were to die, I might just remain a ghost to haunt this world forever as my soul would not be ready to let go. Ah, how I envy you in that regard. Cherish your state of mind.

Crowing over the miseries of others is what really gets me going in the morning.

the key to your happiness is by helping the others to be happy.

Oh thats such a cliche; The key to happiness is indulging in hedonism;Finding pleasure in particular things that will please you the most, it could be acquiring wealth all of your life, it could be making others happy; it could be being devoted to a hobby that could turn into an obessesion and passion; I don't believe that there is only one source of happiness; Different things make different people happy

Sorry, but that's also cliche.

One of the greatest examples of hedonism in the history of the world was an ancient near-eastern king who amassed so much gold, silk, spices, etc that the (relatively-worthless) silver had to be stacked in heaps outside the city walls. He had over 700 wives and 300 concubines (lemme see.... this is March 13, so you must be....??). Since he (obviously) didn't have an MP3 player, he had over 200 musicians and singers on full-time staff. He studied whatever he wanted to learn (he became known as somewhat of an expert on biology, agriculture, history, and languages). He was a religious scholar, poet, and writer. He went out of his way to try new experiences and indulge whatever impulse he had, just to see where it lead.

At the end of it all, he said his search for happiness and purpose in life was vain and meaningless - like trying to grasp both hands-full of air.

I'll stick with gratitude for what I have as the key to happiness - it works for me ;-)

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'll stick with gratitude for what I have as the key to happiness - it works for me ;-)

Good point. One of the things that brings me peace is to count my blessings. The ways my life could be so much worse are too numerous to count.

What do you have right now that you could lose?

The thing that make me happy, which is relative to me but could help other people, is to be who I am no matter what. Without fronts of personality in-front of anyone then you get a sense of being something true. If you lie, then you struggle for something that you are not. Struggle leads to stress, stress leads to your unhappiness.

Also being friendly to other people because its always nice and enjoyable to talk to a new mind. Plus being helpful to a point were your not overwhelmed makes you feel nice.