Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The kindness of strangers

1. Mar 27, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The Evo child just moved into her own apartment this weekend. She had nothing, so her dad called someone he used to work with and told her that the Evo child had an empty apartment. This woman called all her neighbors and within 24 hours, she had a coffee maker, microwave, toaster oven, glass ware, cups, dishes, silverware, kitchenware, pots and pans (everything looks new), tv set, dining room table with chairs, new couch (worth about $3k, coffee tables, end tables, rocking chair (glider), new queen size bed (headboard and footboard, dresser w/mirror, chest of drawers and two night stands all in solid cherry wood, gotta be worth over $5k), mattress and box springs, lamps, you name it. The woman even hired professional movers to move everything in for her.

Her place is beautiful, done overnight by complete strangers.

They asked nothing in return. I'm floored. I have no idea who these people are. :bugeye:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2006 #2
    Wow.... Can you send me these people and maybe have threm throw in an apartment too?

4. Mar 27, 2006 #3

Evo

Need a new car?

5. Mar 27, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! I wish I knew those sort of people when I was moving into my first apartment! That's so wonderful for her. (I hope she doesn't have to be told to write a lovely, hand-written thank-you note, and perhaps include with it an invitation for her benefactress to join her for dinner or a luncheon to see how nice the apartment looks thanks to her help.) What a generous friend!

6. Mar 27, 2006 #5
    OH! Yes I almost forgot about that!
    I do actually prefer economy cars too.

7. Mar 27, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Evo must make some beautiful children....

8. Mar 27, 2006 #7

Evo

Yes, thank you notes are a must and I was thinking flowers. It's heartwarming to see people get together to do something so nice for a complete stranger. :!!)

9. Mar 27, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the world coming to! First pattylou and pengwuino agree on something, and now complete strangers show such a generous act of kindness. :biggrin:

10. Mar 27, 2006 #9

Evo

Come to think of it, that couch is nicer than mine. :grumpy: So is that bedroom set. :grumpy:

11. Mar 27, 2006 #10

Evo

Spring must be in the air.

12. Mar 27, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It all sounds way nicer than what I own too. What happened to kids starting off with the rickety card table, a few folding chairs, and a mattress on the floor next to an old radio?

13. Mar 27, 2006 #12

Evo

I turned a card board box upside down and called it a dining table. Our "furniture" consisted of two aluminun folding lawn chairs, $5 at K-Mart and an old bean bag chair.

14. Mar 27, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, now I feel like I was pretty high class. I had an actual kitchen table (it was the only new piece of furniture I bought because it was super cheap at a store going out of business...it's the table I just converted into a desk, so I certainly got my money's worth out of that!), it was just my nightstand and end tables that were upside-down boxes...I splurged on some table cloths, so you couldn't tell they were just boxes.

15. Mar 27, 2006 #14
    Switch them with yours :approve:

16. Mar 28, 2006 #15

Evo

That's what I told her. :tongue:

17. Mar 28, 2006 #16

Astronuc

I know lots of folks like this. Many of my friends, people at various churches at which my father was minister, my parent's church. It's just the way some people are.

My wife and I have often helped people in similar situation.

Nevertheless, it is nice to see it happen.

Congrats to Evo child on her new apartment.

While I was a batchelor, I either rented a semi-furnished apartment, or I bought inexpensive stuff, or took surplus stuff from my folks place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?