The Kinetic Energy of a Mousetrap powered vechile

In summary, the conversation is about building a mousetrap car and studying its kinetic energy. The group wants to prove that increasing the length of the lever arm will increase the distance traveled and decrease the kinetic energy. The homework equations used are F net = ma and E=1/2mv^2. The car will be powered by the spring potential energy of the mousetrap spring and the mass will need to be reduced to a minimum for this to work. The group is stuck on how to prove that reducing the mass will increase the kinetic energy and velocity. They plan to conduct experiments by changing the length of the lever arm to increase the distance traveled.
gohanssj2a99
1. Homework Statement
Ok so for class we are building this mousetrap car; and in my group were going to include the study of Kinetic Energy of the mousetrap car. Really i want to prove that the distance increases because the length of the lever arm increases, and through this i can prove that the kinetic energy will decrease as well.

Homework Equations

F net = ma
E=1/2mv^2
Famous Five

The Attempt at a Solution

-Vehicle is only to be powered by the spring potential energy of the mousetrap spring
- I figured cause of ^ that, the cars mass has to be reduced to a bare minimum.
- By reducing the mass the kinetic energy will increase. Here is where i am stuck. How do i prove that? E = 1/2 mv^2, so as the mass decreases the kientic energy will increase, and the velocity.

-The experiments I am conducting is changing the length of the lever arm, this would allow the distance to increase? Am i Correct? Why? because during the 180 degree rotation of the mousetrap, the arm would take longer to snap which would allow the string to continue to turn the wheels before it has to depend on Kinetic Energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
-To increase the distance, I will also have to reduce the mass, so that the velocity and Kinetic energy can increase?

What is the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle?

The kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle is the energy that it possesses due to its motion. It is determined by the mass of the vehicle and its speed.

How is the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle calculated?

The kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle can be calculated using the equation KE= 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the vehicle and v is its velocity.

What factors affect the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle?

The mass and speed of the vehicle, as well as the type and strength of the mousetrap, are the main factors that affect the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle.

Can the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle be increased?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle can be increased by using a lighter vehicle, a stronger mousetrap, or by adjusting the placement of the mousetrap on the vehicle.

What is the purpose of calculating the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle?

Calculating the kinetic energy of a mousetrap powered vehicle can help determine the efficiency of the vehicle and can be used to make improvements and modifications for better performance.