Calculating the Rotational Kinetic Energy of Walking

In summary, the problem involves calculating the amount of rotational kinetic energy in a person's arms and legs during a brisk walk. The person's total kinetic energy is the sum of their forward motion and the rotational energy of their arms and legs. The arms and hands make up 14.0% of the person's mass and the legs and feet make up 38.0%. Assuming the arms and legs are held straight, a rough calculation can be done using the average angular velocity of 1.05 rad/s as they move through an angle of 60° in 1 second. The formula for the moment of inertia of a rod about one end, Krot=.5Iω2, can be used to calculate the rotational kinetic energy
flip290

Homework Statement

If a person of mass M simply moved forward with speed V, his kinetic energy would be 0.5MV2. However, in addition to possessing a forward motion, various parts of his body (such as the arms and legs) undergo rotation. Therefore, his total kinetic energy is the sum of the energy from his forward motion plus the rotational kinetic energy of his arms and legs. The purpose of this problem is to see how much this rotational motion contributes to the person's kinetic energy. Biomedical measurements show that the arms and hands together typically make up 14.0% of a person's mass, while the legs and feet together account for 38.0% . For a rough (but reasonable) calculation, we can model the arms and legs as thin uniform bars pivoting about the shoulder and hip, respectively. In a brisk walk, the arms and legs each move through an angle of about +/- 30° (a total of 60 °) from the vertical in approximately 1 second. We shall assume that they are held straight, rather than being bent, which is not quite true. Let us consider a 74.0 kg person walking at 5.00 km/h having arms 66.0 cm long and legs 94.0 cm long.

A)Using the average angular velocity from part A, calculate the amount of rotational kinetic energy in this person's arms and legs as he walks.

Homework Equations

I figured that the mass of the arm is 10.36 kg and the mass of the leg is 28.12 kg. In addition 5km/h converts to about 1.38889 m/s. I've found the angular velocity ω, t be 1.05 rad/s.
Krot=.5MIω2 is the equation I'm assuming I should use but I'm not sure where to go from here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Krot=.5(10.36*.662+28.12*.942)(1.05)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi flip290! :smile:
flip290 said:
A)Using the average angular velocity from part A, calculate the amount of rotational kinetic energy in this person's arms and legs as he walks.

Krot=.5MIω2 is the equation I'm assuming I should use but I'm not sure where to go from here.

(you mean Krot=.5Iω2 :wink:)

ok, now just plug in the figures :smile:

(but you'll need to look up the formula for the moment of inertia of a rod about one end)

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In other words, it is the energy that is required to put an object into motion or to stop it from moving.

2. How is kinetic energy related to walking?

When a person walks, their body is in motion and therefore has kinetic energy. The amount of kinetic energy depends on the mass and speed of the person's body as they walk.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of walking?

The main factors that affect the kinetic energy of walking are the mass and speed of the person. A heavier person or a person walking at a faster speed will have more kinetic energy compared to a lighter person or someone walking at a slower speed.

4. Why is understanding the kinetic energy of walking important?

Understanding the kinetic energy of walking is important for various reasons. It can help us understand the efficiency of our movements and how much energy is required for different types of physical activities. It can also be used in sports and exercise to optimize performance and prevent injuries.

5. How can the kinetic energy of walking be calculated?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. To calculate the kinetic energy of walking, we would need to know the mass and speed of the person and plug them into this formula.