Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The lack of females

1. Jun 1, 2005 #1
    I just know about 6 or7 females around here.what about you?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2005 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

no there's not a lack of females. I've seen alot

4. Jun 1, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Among those I'm certain are female, there's me, Evo, Kerrie, Monique, SOS, icvotria, Tsu, Math Is Hard, recon (though I haven't seen her in a while), Nereid, Adrenaline (who I also haven't seen in a while), Gale17, 0TheSwerve0, relskid, Andromeda. That's just the folks I can think of off the top of my head (sorry if I forgot someone who I should know). And there are always folks who have not identified their gender and don't intend to. I know there are a few female posters who ask questions in homework help but don't come around this part of the board much, so I'm blanking on their nicknames at the moment. We may still be a minority here, but it's not nearly as bad as only 6 or 7. :biggrin:

5. Jun 1, 2005 #4
    Aren't Hypatia and honestrosewater female as well?

6. Jun 1, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep...see, I always forget people when I make those lists. :redface: It's hard to remember everyone off the top of my head. We're up to 17 now. Who else have I forgotten?

7. Jun 1, 2005 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

You've got it covered for people tha come here with any frequency.

8. Jun 1, 2005 #7
    PF must have some of the most wonderful ladies for so few of them to attract so many male members.

I figured someone needed to kick off the flood of compliments that always occur when the subject of the PF ladies comes up. :approve:

9. Jun 1, 2005 #8

SOS2008

Gold Member

Likewise...I see your pic is posted now. :tongue2: We need a pic of you with better lighting, what da ya say, huh? :devil:

10. Jun 1, 2005 #9
    :blushing:
    That's the only decent pic I have at my disposal, unless you don't mind half my face being covered up by a stuffed monkey. I've been meaning to see what I can do to change that though.

11. Jun 2, 2005 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

kat (10 char)

12. Jun 2, 2005 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh right. I haven't been spending as much time as I used to in the politics forum. That's the only place I ever see her around here. So, yep, we're up to 18 now!

If there are any other gals reading this, and you don't mind revealing that you're female, then please pipe up and be counted! :biggrin:

13. Jun 2, 2005 #12

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hmm.. let's see -there's Shay, the butter-knife designer (I miss her)... Vega... Artic Fox... Karen03grae (not sure if I spelled that right) .. and of course Marlon's fave, MooberryMars :wink: The Evo-child drifts through occasionally and graces us with her presence. Speaking of Grace - haven't seen her in a while. Werda comes and goes - I'm sure she'll turn up again soon.

I think there are still a few "closet" females here at PF that we haven't outed yet. Every once in a while someone just casually mentions, "oh, yeah and by the way, I'm female" and it can be quite surprising.
    I think the majority of women and girls who come here do so because they want to discuss and read about scientific topics so there's no real reason for them to reveal their gender. The subject just doesn't come up.

oh, I almost forgot Smurf.
    (just kidding. please don't kick my ass, Smurf.)

14. Jun 2, 2005 #13
    Ah yes, man's eternal struggle.

15. Jun 2, 2005 #14
    Oh you know I can't hold a grudge against you MIH.
    (mind you don't push it)

16. Jun 2, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, we're up to 25! Is mooberrymarz even a member anymore?

I miss Shay too. She seemed to be having trouble getting logged in...something to do with being connected through a proxy server that she knew nothing about...either her sister knows something she wasn't talking about or someone hijacked her computer. I hope she'll return again. I'm still waiting for a picture of the butter knife! :grumpy:

17. Jun 2, 2005 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you send us graduation pictures, we'll make you an honorary member of the sisterhood. How's that sound? :tongue2:

18. Jun 2, 2005 #17
    Hello Moonbear, Evo and all! I've been busy with a Mathematics Olympiad program, but since that's over, I hope I can now find more time to come to PF. :smile:

19. Jun 2, 2005 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woohoo! Recon's back! :smile: We missed you lots!

20. Jun 2, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yay! Welcome back! I was just going to comment that I saw you lurking here. You must have heard us saying your name. :biggrin:

21. Jun 2, 2005 #20
    Yes, I certainly did get away with a lot of new skills from the mathematics program. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?