Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The ladies in science

1. Mar 3, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

So where are they, i know of a few but they must be the tip of the ice berg, so who are they?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We're around. There sure aren't many in my field, though. Luckily I grew up amongst a crowd of brothers (7), so dealing with all the men I work with comes naturally.

When they tick me off, I just smack 'em, like I used to do with my brothers :wink:.

4. Mar 3, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

As if, brains are much better than brawn, but i bet i could make you say uncle.

5. Mar 3, 2008 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They're rare gems, for sure.

- Warren

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5
    There are a few in my class. I'd say like 7/20 or so people are women. Not a lot, but then again, look at computer science and engineering departments.

7. Mar 3, 2008 #6
    On program there are something like 20 women and 120 men, but I find that even though they are not many, the few of them are a lot smarter than the average guy. I'd say there are 3 or 4 girls in the top-10 which is considerably more than one might expect from the total gender ratio.

8. Mar 3, 2008 #7
    Oh definitely. I'm friends with 2 of the girls in my class (both came from the same community college, etc.) and they are both smarter than me. Like, no contest. The other girls aren't exactly the lowest rung of the ladder, either.

9. Mar 3, 2008 #8
    I'm in high school and taking mostly AP Science and Math courses now. Most of the brightest students in my classes are females. Not to mention, theres a higher number of women in college than men, but I'm not too sure about the numbers for science majors. From the looks of things, the future generation will be dominated by the brains of the gentler sex, haha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?