1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A The Lagrange Top

1. Mar 27, 2017 #1
    All the needed formulas are here http://hepweb.ucsd.edu/ph110b/110b_notes/node36.html
    I consider the following case
    $$p_\psi\ne 0,\quad p_\phi/p_\psi\in (\cos\theta_2,\cos\theta_1)$$ this case corresponds to the middle picture in the bottom of the cited page.

I can not prove that the time average of the angle ##\phi## is not equal to zero: ##\int_0^\tau\phi(t)dt\ne 0##, here ##\tau## is the period of the function ##\theta(t)##.
    I know it looks like a standard simple thing but I have been thinking for three days and the result is zero, I also can not find it in books. Please help.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

Very interesting problem. I think I have a qualitative type proof, but it doesn't use the Lagrange equations. The top has a torque on it from gravity. This torque when integrated over time from ## 0 ## to ## \tau ## will be non-zero. (The ## \vec{r} ## and the ## \vec{F} ## don't do a cycle around the top during the time interval of one loop=they basically remain in the same general vicinity for the single loop.) This non-zero result means that the integral of ## \frac{d \vec{L}}{dt} ## (## \vec{L} ## is the angular momentum, basically from the spinning top) must be non-zero so that ## \Delta \vec{L} ## is non-zero. The top can not return to the same location after doing a small loop, because this would imply ## \Delta \vec{L}=0 ##.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  4. Mar 28, 2017 #3
    yes but the vector ##\boldsymbol L## is not parallel to the axis ##z_B##

UPD: the vectors ##\boldsymbol L(t)## and ##\boldsymbol L(t+\tau)## can have the same direction but different value

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted