• Start date
For one dollar a year or for some portion of an hour? :confused:

O I did my math wrong

70 million $ / 70 million people = 1 million $ /people :redface:

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I recieved word tonight, I am offically out of work as of 1 Apr.

I will be eligible for trade act benifits. My hope is to get a teaching certificate.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I will be eligible for trade act benifits. My hope is to get a teaching certificate.

Oh no, Integral...I'm so sorry to hear it!

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm sorry to hear the news, Integral. How long does it take to get a teaching certificate?

I don't like this thead. This is not a happy news thread..... :cry: I'm sorry about everyones bad news!

Thank's for this mess G.W. Bush............:grumpy:

Evo
Mentor

Integral, that's horrible. Hopefully this will lead to better things.

My oldest daughter left a great high paying job in November to work with a veteranarian because she's changing her major. She just got laid off because business has dropped off due to the economy.

You're close to retirement aren't you? Is it possible to take early retirement instead?

My boss, that I love, was laid off last week. He had kidney cancer and without his existing insurance with our company, he is now uninsurable. I cried most of the day.

Last edited:
Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am less then 3 years shy of being eligible for HP retirement, I was kind of hoping to hang around long enough to get that. While I will miss the paycheck I will not miss the work or the way the environment was evolving. A part of me is glad to be out.

HP is no longer the employer it used to be.

Evo
Mentor
I am less then 3 years shy of being eligible for HP retirement, I was kind of hoping to hang around long enough to get that. While I will miss the paycheck I will not miss the work or the way the environment was evolving. A part of me is glad to be out.

HP is no longer the employer it used to be.
Geeze, 3 years from retirement. Will you lose everything associated with your retirement? It's just sickening to work all of your life, doing your best for a company, then just get shafted.

I wish I was in a position to help you.

Sorry to hear that news Integral.

Danger
Gold Member
Time to have a baby... ...we're also looking at prospects elsewhere

Now there's an intriguing possibility... :uhh:

Hey, no babies below the Poverty line!!

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sorry to hear you're out of work integral. :frown:

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Well that just sucks.

Hmmmmmmmm, april 1st. Hopefully they are just fooling you.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Perfect time to be a graduate student I guess.

Personally, I don't trust anyone holding my retirement money. I even got my ex-gf to not invest into the company pension plan. I told her to go for another option, which is tied up in her own bank account under her own name. Sure you have to trust the bank, but I have more trust in a bank than a company.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Oh no!!! I'm very sorry to hear that, Integral. Being three years from retirement probably didn't help either. Seen that before...

I'm sure that you will make a great teacher.

My condolences to everyone else as well. Unfortunately, we live in intersting times.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Personally, I don't trust anyone holding my retirement money. I even got my ex-gf to not invest into the company pension plan. I told her to go for another option, which is tied up in her own bank account under her own name. Sure you have to trust the bank, but I have more trust in a bank than a company.

Couldn't agree more. Of course I won't be a grad student until September, but the point still stands. At least I don't have to worry about signing up for unemployment after graduation.

To those of you stuck between a rock and this economy, I wish you the best of luck.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
HP's loss will be the students' gain. I want to send Integral my copy of the Stand and Deliver movie.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Actually looking at my paper work there is a 1yr grace period. On my last day I will be a week over 13yrs, I need 15. Considering the grace period I am missing retirement benifits by 1yr.

All, Thanks for the thoughts.

You have a point, but remember that the whole recession thing started because banks were falling through the hole. There are some banks here, that for a while (it has now been upgraded by the government) could only guarantee 20 000 euro of your money in one of their accounts. Nobody knew until it was too late and everyone started trying to spread there pension funds over 4 or 5 banks to make sure it was secure. It has been raised to 100 000 euro by the government, but some people need more protection than that.

Also, my company pays half my pension and I pay the other half, but it is a pension with a bank. The company isn't holding my money for me. If I change companies, the money moves with me to the next company. If I told them I didn't want their pension plan, I'd have to put up the other half myself every month. I'm also not a big fan of forced pension schemes, but if it works it's great, the problem is when something goes pear shaped like what has happened to Integral. Then it is just a shambles.

Safest place for your money is in your matress and hope it gets comfy and multiplies :tongue: